Why does my game freezing every few seconds

OverKill1376

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey, Im asking for the same problem again

So my problem is that whenever I join a server, my game is good. No lag, no bug, nothing. But after a while like 15-20 minutes pass, my game starts to freeze. I lose connection for a few seconds then come back. Its really annoying. At some points every 10 seconds I lag for 5 seconds.

You told me to try some commands in console like set Rate to 20000 or... but they didn't work. I checked the other HL mods/games. Same problem happens in Sven Coop and in Half-Life itself. I played Half-Life 2: Deathmatch but I played for a solid hour and I didn't get any problems.

So what gives? Should I reinstall Half-Life? I once reinstalled it by deleting the HL file in my Steam folder and replacing it with another copy of it which I had taken a while ago but it didn't work. Should I redownload Half-Life?

What should I do exactly?

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting your router and modem by unplugging them waiting and plugging them both back in? Maybe either of them are getting flooded with packets and is having issues unloading them?

OverKill1376

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: ^

Yeah I've restarted my modem and router. Reseted the setting. And unplugged and plugged them but it didn't work.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
rrGBV.gif

As we told you here, check your console settings and for unwanted program activity.

As we told you here, check if you have the issue with other Half-Life mods.

As we told you here to check for character corruption.

As we told you here make sure you don't have any containers inside containers.

...And as I'm telling you here... Well, skip to 1:28.

As for this latest iteration of The Program...

OverKill1376 said:
I once reinstalled it by deleting the HL file in my Steam folder and replacing it with another copy of it which I had taken a while ago but it didn't work. Should I redownload Half-Life?

Don't cross the version streams! It's bad! How bad? Try to imagine all games as you know them stopping instantaneously and every molecule in Gordon Freeman's body exploding at the speed of light!

But seriously... We've actually recommend attempting this to fix the Stay Puft™ marshmallow patch issues in the past, but Valve is patching the Goldsrc engine so often that the effects are entirely unpredictable. Delete that puppy - both via the library, and manually (as its location was moved back in February 2013), and re-download.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Given the description you gave us again, could be an update of some sort that messed around with those games.
-Half life bad update that corrupted files (verify cache or reinstall would fix this);
-[very unlikely] GPU update, a newer version that was installed created instability issues with goldsource games (even though this sounds more like an internet connection problem to me...), could always downgrade to a previous version, see if it works any better;

In all honesty, try using google on this one. I doubt this would be the first case of the kind, and while at it, make sure to install half life properly by deleting everything you have (backup mods if you want) and try again.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
He pretty much said the issue occurs in any goldsource game/mod. Source games work fine.

This is weird, i remember having something similiar to this years ago before moving homes, not sure what i did to fix this issue, but i think i contacted my provider to try and solve the problem... This is probably the way i went because i couldn't play anything at all, was having extreme lag spikes every 10-15 seconds in goldsource/source games. I remember doing a call to them and they told me the connection was faulty and it would take 48 hours minimum to solve the problem on their end.

Could be the samething for this guy. I would also suggest playing single player half life and ms:c, see if you get any issues at all. I do believe this only happens when he goes online, which indicates it's his internet being faulty or half life isn't properly installed/updated. If it's the first thing, he has to solve the issue on his own pretty much.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I once reinstalled it by deleting the HL file in my Steam folder and replacing it with another copy of it which I had taken a while ago
^ Still say that sounds like the most likely culprit - his Half-Life version doesn't expect what the base DLL content is setup for, or visa versa.

Only thing I can think of, that we've not already mentioned multiple times, is maybe his HL.exe got a bad priority or affinity stuck to it. To check that, you'd Ctrl+Alt+Del while Half-Life, Master Sword, or some other Goldsrc mod was running, go to the Task Manager's Processes tab, right click on HL.exe, Set Priority anywhere from Normal to High. Repeat, but this time click on Set Affinity, and make sure either all the processors are check, or all but #0.

It should save, but if it doesn't for some reason, Google Prio Task Manager.

There's also the chance of a hardware problem - graphics card just hating OpenGL, that sorta thing - but we'd need to know the GPU type for that.