Weapon Damages

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is there any way we can get a sheet of weapon damages for all the weapons? like the base damage as it's coded in the game?

i've done this for axes. i created a brand new character, leveled swords to 2/2/2 (so i have enough weight and hp to test), and tested axes on boars in thornlands.

One Hand Axes:

dwarven axe Hit %:(80) Hit speed:(75/min) Dmg:0.7-1.9 Avg Dmg:1.3 DPS:1.63 Adj DPS:1.3
Axe Hit %:(70) Hit speed:(60/min) Dmg:0.4-2.6 Avg Dmg:1.5 DPS:1.5 Adj DPS:1.05
Small axe Hit %:(70) Hit Speed:(60/min) Dmg:0.5-2.2 Avg Dmg:3.1 DPS:1.35 Adj DPS:0.95

Two-handed Axes:
scythe: Hit %:(70) Hit speed:(60/min) Dmg:1.4-2.2 Avg Dmg:1.8 DPS:1.8 Adj DPS:1.26
Two-hand Axe Hit %:(75) Hit speed:(60/min) Dmg:0.9-2.8 Avg Dmg:1.85 DPS:1.85 Adj DPS:1.39
Battle Axe Hit %:(60) Hit speed:(48/min) Dmg:1.0-3.7 Avg Dmg:2.35 DPS:1.88 Adj DPS:1.13
Great Axe Hit %:(25) Hit speed:(48/min) Dmg:4.5-6.8 Avg Dmg:5.65 DPS:4.52 Adj DPS:1.13

Dwarven axe is pretty much the best one-handed axe. less damage per hit than Axe, but higher speed and hit rate.

For two-hand axes, the basic two-hand axe is the best, with great axe being the worst. however, two-hand axe is barely better than dwarven axe, meaning you might as well use a dwarven axe and a shield.

Anyways, needless to say, this was very time consuming, and probably innacurate. If you guys (Thothie/Dev team) have weapon damage tables already, or even unformatted damages, that would be real nice :D

Everyone else, feel free to do more weapons and post here, maybe we can get our own damage tables going 8)

EDIT: Scythe is two hands :oldlol:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd say it would be spoilers, although I can say the data seems fairly far off in some respects.

Great Axe does more damage in a single strike than any axe currently in the game, actually, more than any melee weapon in the game (even more than the Dark and Granite maul), but it's accuracy is t3h suck, so your Axe skill has to be really high to make much use of it. Plus it's insane heavy, and slow.

Battleaxe should outperform the scythe and 2h axe, on average, though it may lack the range and accuracy, so it too may require a higher skill level.

That's the thing with the less accurate weapons though - they become more useful as your skill raises, so it's hard to measure, and weight is also a factor, since it stops you from hauling around other weapons.

Range is also a factor, although only when fighting creatures that potentially outreach you. Like Ice Reavers. ;)

There's also damage consistency to take into account. Some weapons have insane variance in the amount of damage they do (such as the Great Axe) - while others are fairly or even perfectly constant (such as Gauntlets).

I'd probably agree with the 1hand dwarf axe currently being the best 1h axe in the game, between lightness, speed, consistency, and accuracy. I *think* the Rune Axe is a two hander... iirc...

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
like i said, it's pretty innacurate :p

not worth the time it would take to get some real data. basically, i had to do whatever i could to avoid killing my enemy so i wouldn't level up and skew the data worse.

i didn't think to take into account the fact that accuracy gets better as you level, therefore the hit % on the great axe become less and less of an issue (although it still is) and that it would eventually be far superior to other weapons.

I just had a thought, and it would be real nice to have the weapon's "damage" put in the description in-game or something, so that it's easier to tell which is better without having to "guess." i guess that's really why i did that, was to find which one is the best.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
well, the hole point of different weapons is to figure out what is better to your taste. and to not have anyone tell you is part of the adventure. so great idea, but i wouldnt want it

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
that makes more sense if all the weapons were "equal" but different. ie, one was fast and weak, the other slow and strong, but at the moment, there IS a best axe. But, i agree with you when it comes to choosing weapon class. the only way to do that is by playing with them and picking which one you want, but there is a definite best within each class.

Also, think of games like D&D and Morrowind/Oblivion. those games are ALL about the adventure, yet they tell you weapon damages :p

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
right but they have a huge selection of weapons while we have ... not a huge selection. so maybe it would work if we had many many weapons

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
please - the last thing we need is a massive ammount of worthless weapons clogging up the game...all we need is 2-3 different kinds of 'really good' but equal weapons for each category, then of course the already existing low-mid level weapons.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
im not talking about worthless weapons. im talking about a vast selection of differences and styles. not worthless crap like 1 model for 100 different axes that only differ in weight

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think we have a larger array of weapons than any other HL1 mod. ;)

But yeah, we only have so many models... Although iirc, each of the eleven (soon to be 13) axes does at least have it's own model.

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
True, the mod doesn't need MORE weapons, just different models for weapons, because honestly, I'd love to tell the difference between the elven shortsword and the high elven blade. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It used to be all the elven blades had the same name. ;)