trouble with dedicated server

bluezerosix7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hey guys, im trying to get a ded server runnin just to have another server running latest stuff, but for some reason i cant. i have the same problem as kray did (viewtopic.php?t=1863&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lan) but did not quite understand it. Just to clarify, i did the following:

1) followed Thothie's example to the T (another one than the two in thothie's handle).
2) not quite sure how exactly to run the server (i assumed that running Thothie's HLDS restarter and saying GO! would activate whatever necessary, therefore not needing the actual HLDS gui program.
3) ive already set up http://www.valhalla.servehalflife.com:27017 as perfect for me.
4) forwarded ports in router, already have windows firewall disabled.
5) problem stems in the console that comes up with HLDS restarter, looks like its only coming up with server IP address 192.168.X.X:27017. Also gives sass, sayinf couldn't exec language.cfg, crashed.cfg. then states that i have no IPX support, then couldn't exec msstartup.cfg.

i believe i need to yell at HLDS to say hey im an internet server (other than the sv_lan command, set to 0).

just for clarification my command line is "hlds.exe -insecure -game msc +maxplayers 6 -port 27017 -noipx -console +ms_pklevel 0 +exec crashed.cfg"

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The no IPX warning is good, means you're not wasting overhead for the old fashion serial port networking.

+exec crashed.cfg requires the latest AMX package to work proper. (Restores the server to the last map it was on, in event of crash.)

Failing AMX install, replace "+exec crashed.cfg" with "+map edana" (server will always reset to Edana on crash)

Typing status in console will return your local host address (192.168.x.x)

I dunno what service you are using to foward to http://www.valhalla.servehalflife.com:27017 but you will need to set it up with your external IP. ( http://www.whatismyip.org ) If you can add that to your favorites in steam, you should be good to go.

bluezerosix7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
valhalla.servemp3.com is through no-ip.com, just like dyndns.org, dynamic ip forwarding using a program that updates every x minutes.

my server is up and running, and is in the two steam master servers, comes up when i manually put in valhalla.servemp3.com into my favorites, but how will it come up when ppl search for msc servers?

EDIT: so the manually entered server that popped up was actually over my network (192.168.x.x), not http://www.valhalla.servehalflife.com:27017 as desired.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you go to favorites, and add to favs "valhalla.servehalflife.com:27017" your server should pop up, assuming everything is working proper.

Now showing up on the Steam browser, without manually adding it, is always the sticky bit for some folks. I suspect there is some bloody port no one is telling us about, that just happens to be open on some of our systems and not on others.

You can try typing "heartbeat" in the console, but I'm fairly sure the command is dated.

bluezerosix7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
my server seems to only come up in favorites when i enter my internal ip address as the ip addy to look for. wont come up in lan search though (because sv_lan is 0).

also added a dyndns link just for good measure. valhallamsc.servegame.com:27017. nethier pop up though.

EDIT: found this one steampowered forums (http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin ... _topview=1)

basically said that to have a ded server and client behind same router, i have to join it via internal means in my favorites, and that i may not see it in serverlisting, exactly what im getting. i dunno lol, ill keep it up tho, see if it works.

bluezerosix7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
soooo anyone else reading this thread: im running Valhalla [FN] log in and lemme know anything silly.

EDIT: uhh, added AMX and now console isnt connecting to steam server database? after saying no IPX support it states some nice info on metamod, then lets me know msstartup.cfg couldnt be executed, then sits on that.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, as of this moment (12:49PM PST) - the only server I see on the list... Is mine! ><

There were about seven yesterday, so it maybe Steam is being screwy again...

When I have my client and server on the same puter, I still see my server on the browser. Contrary to their FAQ, I can even connect to it using my external IP. But it maybe different for different routers. :\

PS. on that steam link, axe everything from "&p_created" on, and it'll probably still work without making the forum freak out.