Transition lagspikes aren't playing well with the new update

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sometimes after a transition, upon doing most things (Opening inventory, cycling spells) the game's fps will get shot down to 5-10. This was present in the previous update, but it seems to be happening almost after every transition. I edited the reconnect command to allow 10 seconds before reconnecting to the server after a transition, but it didn't seem to help at all, and it's starting to get frustrating having to restart the game after almost every transition. :oldangry:
(Either that or it's not playing well with my new hardware which happened at the same time of the update)

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Re: Transition lagspikes aren't playing well with the new up

Can confirm this happens to me about every other time. "Unhandled Exception While Deallocating Memory" or something along those lines makes me tab out, too...

Sometimes it just crashes upon character select, looping the "mouse over" sound until I open task manager.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Hrmm... Dun get that after a memory delloc error myself, but this is a mean rig, and it's probably wisest to restart after one of those. If you're full screen, depending on your setup, ya might not see the error window, and it'll be in the background, which might cause Windows to split frames between the error message and Half-Life itself, which could cause FPS lag.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score

How close are you to hitting your physical memory cap? The script hashing comes at the cost of a bit of an increase in the physical memory usage. Can't imagine it'd be that much unless you were close already.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

16gb RAM and 16GB Vram (8gb, for half-life)

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Hrmm... Dun get that after a memory delloc error myself, but this is a mean rig, and it's probably wisest to restart after one of those. If you're full screen, depending on your setup, ya might not see the error window, and it'll be in the background, which might cause Windows to split frames between the error message and Half-Life itself, which could cause FPS lag.

It'll usually tab me out, but when the fps drop happens again, I can tab out and check if there's an error in the background.

16GB ram, 2GB dedicated vram
Edit: Got caught in an infinite error loop after opening inventory after transition, crashed shortly afterwards.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Oddly enough, after the initial post, I didn't get it for the rest of the night. Though now I did, and can confirm, no error message is in the background