Strange large chat text size.

Fehi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This is going to be my first post in this forum. So I figured that I should get the support out of the way. Now before I post this let me state that I have recently took a long hiatus away from this mod. From April to last week or so. (Side note: Very happy to see many changes)

I boot up the mod, Get in game, and notice something along these lines.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8879/helena0003tr6.gif

As you can notice the chat is pretty large and if you squint you can see someone standing there. This is why this is a problem. It is hard to see what is going on in that portion of the screen when there is a lot of chat going on.
(Side Note: Before you ask. I was talking about how I have a dark maul but can't use it due to the skill requirements now needed for it and many weapons. Before the hiatus I could use any weapon in the game it seemed.)

Does anyone know a possible solution? I can not change my monitor resolution as it is a wide screen and is very picky about it. It is stuck at 1440 X 900.

Keep in mind this is not exactly a game stopping bug. It is more of an annoyance then anything but it can be hindering in some areas.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wow, that text is huge. Isn't there a cvar to change that? I'm thinking something like ms_txthud_size?

Fehi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Shadeska said:
Looks normal size to me.

And to everyone else, don't post stupid responses to this guy. It is his first post in the forum.

Well it seems kinda large to me and stupid responses are pretty much common amongst any forum. So I am expecting them.

Jelly said:
Wow, that text is huge. Isn't there a cvar to change that? I'm thinking something like ms_txthud_size?

I just tried it. Does nothing it seems. I dunno but now that I realize there are some console commands to go by that I could not find previously I am going to fiddle with them until either the trivial problem is solved or my computer explodes.

People keep this in mind. You don't need to help me in this trivial problem. I just find it annoying.

:Edit: Why am I also getting a slight hint of "Your an idiot." directed at me From that sentence?

:Edit 2: Turns out it does help and that I was to stupid to realize it. Thank you Jelly for your help. I was just to stupid to know the command. Someone lock this thread and trash it.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Actually I didn't mean any offence, and I noticed too, after posting, that it might have contained a bit of sarcasm, but I didn't bother rephrasing my answer. :roll:

Fehi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well upon some further testing it actually just shortens the max number of chat messages on screen. It helps but Not much.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Fehi said:
(Side Note: Before you ask. I was talking about how I have a dark maul but can't use it due to the skill requirements now needed for it and many weapons. Before the hiatus I could use any weapon in the game it seemed.)
Ah, yes. This is the case. It's a slight niusance, but it does give you something to look forward to in your newbie grinding, and even higher levels need to do grinding to fully weild the potential of the better weapons.

For example, the weapon Dark Sword requires Swordsmanship Proficiency 30 to be able to use it to its full power.

Fehi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Fehi said:
Ah, yes. This is the case. It's a slight niusance, but it does give you something to look forward to in your newbie grinding, and even higher levels need to do grinding to fully weild the potential of the better weapons.

For example, the weapon Dark Sword requires Swordsmanship Proficiency 30 to be able to use it to its full power.

I know. I am happy to see that as well. No longer are the day's of empty grinding for now there is a reason to go the distance.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ms_txthud_decaytime #
Might also be useful, it cuts the time that the text stays on screen.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I had a similar issue causing text to be chopped in half on every line, for I too, run at a strange res (actually, that there's also the default res on my laptop). The only solution I've found is funky:

If yer used to your Hud text being some other size, go to the \gfx\vgui\fonts folder of your favorite mod, ie.
\Steam\SteamApps\<your_ccount_name>\half-life\<mod_you_like>\gfx\vgui\fonts

You will see files along the lines of:
960_Briefing Text.tga
960_CommandMenu Text.tga
960_Primary Button Text.tga
960_Scoreboard Small Text.tga
960_Scoreboard Text.tga
960_Scoreboard Title Text.tga
960_Team Info Text.tga
960_Title Font.tga

You'll see a set of these for each resolution the mod supports. (640_xxx, 800_xxx, etc. etc.)

Copy the files from that mod to the same folder in MSC.

Rename the number prefix to match your resolution. eg. in your case:
960_Title Font.tga
becomes
1440_Title Font.tga

Hopefully MSC will then use that font set for your system. Using low res font sets (eg. 640_ ) will make for smaller text in game.

It's a Steam thang, for some reason they did away with scalable fonts (too blurry, they figured, I guess).

Might be a "todo" for the 1.1 installer: make sure there's a font size defined for all conceivable resolutions.

Fehi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It reduced the size of most of the text. But not the chat messages when they are sent. Added all the fonts you listed. Did you forget a few? I dunno I am just running down the list of "s**t that might work but might not".

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmm... It changed the font on mine, but gods if I know which one the chat text actually uses... (I'd have to color code the TGA's or *gasp* look at the client-side code - even then it seems to be one of those internal Steam functions, so it may not appear there.)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a monitor issue, if your computer/laptop is widescreen (16:10) then you will likely get this issue running in a widescreen resolution , I know I did.