Singleplayer?

fancyghost

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section, please move it if it should go somewhere else.

I'm wondering if I can set up a server (I haven't forwarded the correct ports, but I don't think I need to for this to work) and have it save characters straight onto my hard-drive, so that every time I want to play again I can set it up and keep playing with the same character. I used to play this game for hours and hours, but now I'm on a pretty awful internet connection and half the time it doesn't work. I don't want to have to bother with trying to connect to a server every time I want to play, or putting up with other players, or dealing with getting disconnected, I want to play the game for as long as I'd like and at my own pace. Is there any way to set it up for singleplayer?

Thanks.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Add to end of listenserver.cfg sv_lan 1 (or find occurrence of sv_lan in listenserver.cfg, and change to 1).

Mind you, regardless of time invested in the off-line character, you can never port it to FN, and that the game is *much* more difficult in single player mode, with chests being much more stingy, and some items being utterly unobtainable. Additionally, most bosses are geared to deal with at least four players of their tier, so you're looking at a great deal more grind time.

fancyghost

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any way to cheat the system a little then, is there an impulse_101-esque command or anything similar?

Edit:

It works, awesome, thank you! I guess I should clarify that, I wouldn't cheat my way to a godly character but I might get him back on his feet to about where my old FN character was. I'm going to miss those infernal claws. (If I'm a little hard to understand, please tell me, English isn't my first language.) Thank you again.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not really. There's some developer commands, but we try to keep them to developers only, as spreading them far and wide tends to result in "creative" folks finding ways to cheat on-line. (We also, more or less discourage off-line play in an effort to keep more players on-line, but it's still doable.)

fancyghost

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Oh, alright. One last thing, occasionally out of nowhere I'll get a crash and it'll say something like "Packet Sync Error" or something similar. Anything I can do to fix this or am I just going to have to deal with it?

And I'll still play online when I get a better connection, I love this game :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You fully patched to MAR2011a? I didn't think we did packet sync checking anymore. :\

fancyghost

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
That was the problem, thanks again.

I know I said I was done with the questions, but after I somehow managed to delete my offline character, I decided to check if my multiplayer character was still there. By some miracle he is, and he's better than I remember him being. Is there any way I could get him into singleplayer or would that be a breach of FN security?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Send yer Steam ID and I'll hook you up with him, I suppose.