See the blight of a Vista User!

pimpsta

New Adventurer
God of War
Reaction score
I have vista too. But I run vista as a 2nd OS on vmware. Vista does support steam. You just got to get the software on micorsoft. I like to run my games on XP better than Vista. Vista is new and it will be buggy for a bit.

pimpsta

New Adventurer
God of War
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Blasto121 said:
my schools going to start handing out vista for free...

Just g*ddamn unbelievable how hard they are pushing this OS! I guess the media industry has a lot of money riding on it.

You can get windows vista for free if you buy windows xp professional. You just got to wait 2 weeks for vista to come in the mail. Xp Pro cost about 99 dollars on new egg then you can call micorsoft to get the software.

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
vmware

vmware seems tempting, but i dont' know anything about it more information would be appreciated.

I'll check out their website, but its confusing.

pimpsta

New Adventurer
God of War
Reaction score
just download the free version of vmware and install it... Then open it up then it will ask you if you want to install another OS.

HellsCook

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I must admit that I'm running Vista now too, the 64 bit version. I ran through it and disabled lots and lots of crap and its running great, except for MSC. OpenGL works in other games, but MSC crashes over and over. I'm using it to take advantage of my full 4 gigs of RAM and other than MSC, its been pretty good to me.

I also read that article about vista's diabolic media control, but I highly doubt that much will ever come of it.

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
got rid of vista, but there still is a problem

I finally got rid of vista and got window xp back, however, half-life do not work.

When i try to start half-life, or msc (which uses half-life), the picture of

gordon freeman with shotgun comes up then the screen goes black then

a glimpse of blue screen comes up.

Which according to my previous experience is caused by bad hardware install.

then very unconveniently the computer resets.

what do you think is the cause? Another bad driver? But the other games like RF ONline and Space Cowboy works.. both in full screen and window mode.

If you have any idea plz let me know. meanwhile i'll try different graphic card drivers. As mentioned earlier in this thread i use nvidia GeForce4 mx420.

Oh yeah, my sound does not work even with the driver... (sound blaster Live! 5.1 sound card).

thank you. sorry if this is the inappropriate place to ask these questions.

dizzy

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
you got a virus or its either HD is failing or Motherboard is failin, or you needa update all your Drivers for EVERYTHING.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I dunno, it maybe the new forceware drivers are no longer backwards compatible to GeForce4 mx420 (there should be archives for older drivers at nividia.com somewhere) - but other than that, I've got no idears aside form hardware failure or severe software fuxup.

There was something that causes a BSOD with Steam, but I can't recall what it was ATM... I'll ask around and see if someone can jar my memory.

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thank you

i'll try different graphic drivers to see if they work.

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
got it working

i finally got msc working few weeks ago, got fixed xp and second to newest geforce4 mx 420 driver.

thank you guys for help, and a question. can i use vmplayer to run 2 different steam account to trade msc items? I'll try it this weekend.

thank you again!! :D

ps. sound works too, i took the sound card out and cleaned the connecting part with an eraser and it worked. :D