See the blight of a Vista User!

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Microsoft's Vista project is probably going to bomb, meaning it'll fail... horribly. People will see how it fucks up so fast with anything that is even remotely suspicious, and they'll notice that they can't watch their favorite movies anymore... complaints will be everywhere...

So, there any other intelligent operating system designers preparing to release shortly after Vista? Ones not so obsessed about pirated software...? I've never bothered trying Linux before, but if it plays Half-Life & is user-friendly with something even remotely like a desktop... I'll start using it :)

EDIT:
Another thing... I bet Vista takes up like four times (at least) the amount of RAM just to run... probably ten times more hard-drive space.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if computer savvy people don't like it, there are plenty of idiots to buy it. Case and point: Squirrel's parents. They have a piece of junk computer that shouldn't even be running XP, but they STILL want to put Vista on it. Also, a lot of new computers will be coming with Vista already installed, so people won't have a choice. Windows will force it on us, even if we don't want it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
They are seriously pushing it too. I saw no less than 6 ads for Vista at the last movie I went to. How much you wanna bet Sony and some other vile media companies help fund the massive ad campaign?

I've already told all my clients, "Install Vista and I'll double your service charges." Didn't stop two of them, I'm sure they'll be more soon. No luck fixing this POS here yet either.

Unless there's some massive Vista awareness media effort there's almost no chance that it won't be main stream by the end of the year. People are stupid, they will pay good money to upgrade, even if they know it'll make their system worse, just because they can say they paid to have the 'lastest thing'.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
So us computer savvy nerds can uninstall Vista, can't we? If they aren't allowing us to do that; then they are violating the Monopolization Act; meaning Microsoft is screwing itself over :p

So... I feel confident that we could simply format the hard-drive or uninstall Vista, then call it good...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
But what about us LAZY computer nerds?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
then they are violating the Monopolization act
L-O-L ... What, you think M$ is based in Europe or something? All the US anti-monopoly law code was torn apart decades ago, the only companies ever affected have reasserted themselves and are bigger than they ever were before. The only company to ever attempt to fight the M$ monopoly in court failed miserably, and it was a lot easier to make that sort of claim then, than it is now.

Even with the European laws (down right communist by our standards), Micro$oft spends 3 million a day paying fines against the EU, as it's actually illegal to have closed bits of OS code that interact with the internet over there. They'd rather pay that than open source those bits, so you can imagine what they'd be willing to pay to promote Vista - the ultimate evolution of closed source, designed to keep everyone else's bits closed source in turn.

So... I feel confident that we could simply format the hard-drive or uninstall Vista, then call it good...
And you intend to convince all these idiots to do that somehow?

If Microsoft introduced a new OS that had a 1 in 10 chance of making your computer explode, you can bet yer balls just about everyone would have it installed by the end of the year. (And the majority of the 1 in 10'ers would buy new computers, and install it again).

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I never mentioned convincing other people to do it. Merely those of us who know better; it would be us who refuse to use such a program.

Also, your post made me realize just how pathetic the majority of Americans are... they piss & moan when the Government wants more control over things that are as petty as a computer; but when Microsoft wants control over your computer... people pay them for it -_-

I guess it is pretty sad that America will allow someone to violently take over an entire area of market... since they can then choose what to price their products at, and without competition nobody can whine at all about it...

It's a wonder why Microsoft & their O/S's are so highly targeted by viruses... :p

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
So us computer savvy nerds can uninstall Vista, can't we? If they aren't allowing us to do that; then they are violating the Monopolization Act; meaning Microsoft is screwing itself over :p

.....yea that is very true...

Also.. Before reading this I was actually going to purchase this... now not so much lol.

THEM EVIL *******'s :twisted:

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Graphic card problem

I have win vista and GeForce 4 MX 420.
I just installed vista after formmating my bug filled hard drive.
i downloaded the xp graphic driver and installed it because there is no Vista one.
After doing above i started msc using openGL. The runs but it is very slow....., responds 2 to 3 seconds after clicking or commanding.

In attempt to fix the problem I autoupdated my graphic driver using a feature in control panel. The driver updated to the newest version and restarted the comp.

But when i try the game on, error appears and it says that "The specified video mode is not supported. The game will now run in software mode."

I tried driver rollback and tried, it works but still slow.

If you have any idea how to fix this problem i'll be grateful.
:)

ps it is 32 bit.

Thank You

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i'm convinced

I was convinced by your posts.
Win Vista suks, as agreed by my little brother who is 12 years old.
We only used it for one day, and we came across many problems, important one being loss of speed and loss of video game compatablility.

I'm ready to delete vista and go back to XP, but my Dad refuses.
Since he is Korean it's gonna be hard to translate and explain it to him and make him beleive it, although i'm sure there are other Koreans who already figured out the bad side of Vista already.

I'm sure the news companies will be happy to hear the bad side of Vista either because of the great news topic or because of probable ransom money that MS will pay them for their silence. :?

Well thank you for the info. :p

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Haha, Vista sucks :D

As to what I mentioned about MicroSoft's violent take overs, haven't you heard of how aggressive they are? They buy people out & sell them off destroying businesses & jobs constantly; either they start it up & are the employers, or it will be destroyed if it isn't good enough (in the software O/S world).

Bill Gates defines snobby & spoiled, he came from a family where he got what he wanted, and now he is the richest billionaire in the world (publicly, at least).

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I would like to add that Microsoft has not actually programed anything. Well they did program that paper clip that can be found in microsoft office. Every program that microsoft has created has been purchased by microsoft then repachaged and shipped under there name. Even that auto run feature in XP was stolen/purchased from someone.

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: Graphic card problem

oaktree said:
I have win vista and GeForce 4 MX 420.
I just installed vista after formmating my bug filled hard drive.
i downloaded the xp graphic driver and installed it because there is no Vista one.
After doing above i started msc using openGL. The runs but it is very slow....., responds 2 to 3 seconds after clicking or commanding.

In attempt to fix the problem I autoupdated my graphic driver using a feature in control panel. The driver updated to the newest version and restarted the comp.

But when i try the game on, error appears and it says that "The specified video mode is not supported. The game will now run in software mode."

I tried driver rollback and tried, it works but still slow.

If you have any idea how to fix this problem i'll be grateful.
:)

ps it is 32 bit.

Thank You

It looks like i'm not gonna be able to switch back to win xp
and it would be great if you guys know any way to fix my problem metioned earlier.

Thank you

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
there is only one cure for your computer, get a better video card! The Geforce 4 is not designed to handle vista. I would recommend a Geforce 7300, or any of the other "vista ready" video cards. Thats about the only way your going to get better FPS, Vista only emulates direct x 9 games. So the requirements to run direct x games has basically doubled.

Depending on how old that comp of yours is you may be better off getting a whole new one.

Oh and make sure you have a minimum of a 1 gig of ram if you want to even think about playing games with vista, for quality gaming on vista it will require 2 gigs. Vista = resource hog, consumes about 512 mb idle.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, the only officially "Vista Ready" Graphics Card on the market is the nVidia 8800 series, which starts at around $500. It's the only one that supports the full Windows Vista XHDQL/HDMI (which might be be neat, if there was any monitor on the market Vista considered closed channel enough to allow you to see it - currently there ain't.)

GeForce 4, stands no chance. GeForce4 isn't even going to be real happy with any modern games in Windows XP, nevermind Vista.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
i can apparently get vista for free...hmmmm....

Think of how much you get paid by the hour. Think of how many hours you are going to spend trying to fix stupid stuff in Vista. Double that. If they'll PAY you that much for it, then maybe.

I can effectively get Vista for free (and, techincally, have it here - just not running on my own machines), and those are my conditions for even working with it. ;)

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
my schools going to start handing out vista for free... maybe I should get a copy before the fix that brute force key generator...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Blasto121 said:
my schools going to start handing out vista for free...

Just g*ddamn unbelievable how hard they are pushing this OS! I guess the media industry has a lot of money riding on it.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
its called the acedemic alliance or something like that, but basically windows gives out there software for free to any technology student. Operating systems just so happen to be covered.

oaktree

New Adventurer
Reaction score
about my problem....

I'm a high school student who do not work.....
In other words i can't offer $500 graphic cards... :(
And i'm guessing that you won't make MSC Vista compatible anytime soon......

So i came up with an odd idea... If it is the directx 10's emulatoin that causes overusage of graphic card, Y don't i just delete directx 10 and install directx 9?

I'm guessing that i cant', but if you can, info would be appreciated.

thank you...

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
direct x 10 is built into the operating system, doomed to always emulate the direct x 9.

if you have access to a windows xp install disk I would suggest installing an older OS, if not an option trying using this.

Vmware is a fun utility that allows you to run more than one OS together, unlike dual booting this one runs one OS ontop of another, you may be just lucky enough to make MS:C playable through the use of this program.