1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen position

Discussion in 'MS:Continued Discussions' started by The Man In Black, Mar 8, 2019.

Which edge of the screen does "100%" make the most sense for

1. 100 x is left, 100 y is top

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100 x is right, 100 y is top

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. 100 x is left, 100 y is bottom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 100 x is right, 100 y is bottom

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer RiP

Jul 9, 2006
    I'm working on the ability to reposition a few hud elements via cvar but Thoth and I are in disagreement about what the user would find more intuitive. If I gave you a cvar for the x and y coordinates (percentage of screen), which do you think of as the top/bottom or left/right edge?

2. Thothie

Thothie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    We are? Nah, I just said 0 being bottom and 480 being top, as it was, is not intuitive, and a percentage, float, or bottom/center/top options would be better. I'm used to the idea that 0x0 is top left due to all the 70-80's era computers I worked on, but ya could be right that folks not raised on TSR-80's might think more like a graph chart, with 0 being bottom, is more intuitive. If it's "vertical offset", rather than coords, then yes, bottom being 0 does make more sense either way. (Also thinking some jerk might complain and want the little dude *and* the icons.)

Kinda minor thing to put up for a vote though, given all the more fundamental stuff we're doing...

3. zeus9860

zeus9860 Adventurer Crusaders Blades of Urdual The True Followers of the Lost

Feb 28, 2008
    Troll
    lolwut
    100% x is definetly right, 100% y is either bottom/top. I'm used to top being 0 and bottom 100% from self experience, but using a graph chart as Thothie suggested, makes the opposite option also valid and probably the most popular of the two.

If i'm not mistaking, web programming XY starts at the top-left. Using canvas/js to draw things for example, can't remember if CSS followed the same logic but it probably did since they are all connected to HTML5.

Not sure which of the two is the most proper one, i am confused now, thanks.

4. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Well, if you wanna be really technical, should make center 0x0 and use negatives for upwards and left. ;)

(For once, I agree with Zeus, even if mostly on the confused part.)

5. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer RiP

Jul 9, 2006
    Deal.

6. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    ><

(Well, at least I didn't suggest Carolina Style.)

edit: After watching that vid again, I realize that machine is designed much like MSC, and works about as well.

7. The Man In Black

Jul 9, 2006
    We can do both, with another cvar to say which to use.

Also, they're in logarithmic scale.

8. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Are we gonna get something new on the hud?

9. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    We're adding the option to have item icons in replacement of classic ms little dude, and we're letting you move/scale the charge bars (as well as those icons), with the additional option of a charge completed sound you can customize and change the volume of that raises in pitch at each level.

10. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Holy shit, thank GOD.

Also the charge bar stuff and sounds are pretty radical too.

11. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    What about vertical charge bars, can we get that?

12. The Man In Black

Jul 9, 2006
    Maybe in the future, but I've rewritten the code at least 3 times in the past couple weeks and I really want to work on something other than that for a little while :wink:

13. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    There are definitely more pressing matters I would assume.