RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.....

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Was it the dream that brought you back?

A great deal has changed since 2004, although I'm not sure what happened when. There have probably been at least a dozen new maps since 04, if not more, and even more items. The banking system has been revolutionized and arrows can now stack. So can Dots. These are all recent events, though. You can now obtain pet wolves and, from what I have been told, the dreaded 'model limit' problem has been almost completely solved. Thanks largely to that polearms and spears are just a patch away! In the future we are likely to see elf and dwarf player models, both of which will have their own unique gameplay styles. A selectable class system is planned, although far from ready, and there are plans to completely overhaul our magic system. Overall, this is a very good time for Mastersword:Continued. Things are looking very promising, indeed.

Oh yeah, The game is actually relatively stable now, too.

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just about every thing has been changed since 04. I think we are up to 50 maps or so, all the old ones have been overhauled. Tons of new enemies, spells, weapons.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Short version:

Front_Page said:
• Gone from 11 maps, to [over] 50 maps
• Gone from 2 working spells, and three broken ones to Twenty-Eight fully functional spells
• Gone from about two dozen weapons, to over 90
• Added, literally, hundreds of new monsters and NPC's
• Introduced countless new quests, tweaks, mapper tools, game concepts, mythology, storyline, and all around, just a mess load of more stuff to do

Long Version:

may2006-may2010.png

the4w35um-1.gif

Granted, that only covers 2006-2010. What happened between 2004 and 2006? Stuff... Lots of stuff...

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Hahaha, wow... There's Etnies welcome back every annual visit she's here, "I want you". LOL!

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
"pet anti suicide system" kind of fails in some situations, had a regular wolf run of the cliff in the caves in thornlands and die...

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
Hahaha, wow... There's Etnies welcome back every annual visit she's here, "I want you". LOL!

If you pay close attention, its almost allways me :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
cartman-2000 said:
"pet anti suicide system" kind of fails in some situations, had a regular wolf run of the cliff in the caves in thornlands and die...
Yeah, it's not 100%, just better than it was - ie. no prevention at all.

I dun mind a little risk but... I'm not sure if I could find a way to make the things immune to hazzard damage, nor if I should if I could.

Tradion said:
P|Barnum said:

If you pay close attention, its almost allways me :p

I'm still trying to figure if Etnies is my daughter from the Jigglyforums... I've so many... That one broke some hearts over there though. *sigh* My daughters always grow up to be such sl... heart breakers...

Etnies

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'm still trying to figure if Etnies is my daughter from the Jigglyforums... I've so many... That one broke some hearts over there though. *sigh* My daughters always grow up to be such sl... heart breakers...

wat

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Canadian gal, like you, also young enough to be my daughter. Looked similar to your image, sans the bird, but she never put up one so clear, so I wasn't sure. Kept having Jiggly regulars coming up to me and asking permission to take her hand in marriage. ;) Sadly, like many of my daughters, I've forgotten her name. >_>

There was a huge fight over her at some point... Much TFC Canadian romantic drama. Good times. ^_^

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Canadian gal, like you, also young enough to be my daughter. Looked similar to your image, sans the bird, but she never put up one so clear, so I wasn't sure. Kept having Jiggly regulars coming up to me and asking permission to take her hand in marriage. ;) Sadly, like many of my daughters, I've forgotten her name. >_>

There was a huge fight over her at some point... Much TFC Canadian romantic drama. Good times. ^_^
I herped so hard I derped :oldshock:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I figured, or you woulda remembered who yo daddie was. ;)

buddha

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to make a singular post and disappear. My internet stop working since Sunday. I am really impressed, maybe I can finally beat helena with out it glitching now?

Etines, yeah my subconcious was drawing me back.

The Valorous

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Omg buddha. I think you've posted more words now on these forums than you have in IRC all those years ago. The Longdale is hard for you.

Raider666

New Adventurer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Was it the dream that brought you back? ................
and, from what I have been told, the dreaded 'model limit' problem has been almost completely solved. Thanks largely to that polearms and spears are just a patch away!

Sorry to necropost but in reading this as a Mod Dev I was tantalized. What sort of 'model limit' problem was this and how was it solved? Was it the problem where HL cannot render more than 400 (I think) models+sprites in one map, so if you go over you end up with invisible models/sprites? Are you saying that they found a way to render more than 400 models at a time?!?! If so, then if I could find out how you did that...... then I could have armies of 1000 monsters in Doom Hunt! Please explain this to me!

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The model limit is the point at which HL crashes and complains that it can't precache any more models. We have so many models, a lot of which must be precached every map (all items, magic-spell-models, summons) plus all the map entities themselves. It was solved by consolidating models into composite models with separate submodels.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Game would crash anyway if model get spammed in one map, right? (like in scientist slaughterhouse, spawning as much monsters as possbile crashed the game)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So long as you're repeating the same model, there's no real direct reason I could think it would (just lag like hell - suppose [ieventually it would edict crash - sooner in MSC than elsewhere). However, those scientists have AI's (are essentially monsters) and thus eat additional resources. There maybe other limits involved which I am not aware, but if you lag the system badly enough with resource drain, it'll kinda "decide" it has crashed and give up on you.

Then again:

NS seems to be able to handle unlimited active entities with minimal impact, but everything the NS guys do is "pure muthahf*cking magic". ><

Wasn't always the case though - used to be just placing too many mines would crash the thing. Dunno how they fixed it, and I've not managed to track down any remainders of the old team who recalls.