Parry at 0%, no death penalty

The Buttery Lobster

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm new to this game, so maybe this isn't something to be worried about, but it says my parry is at level 2, 0%. My sword skill is at level 7 at various percentiles. Whenever I die, it says my parry is penalized, even though it has nothing to penalize, effectively giving me no death penalty. What's up with that? Also, I have no gold loss either, but I don't know if that's abnormal.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well, Parry is very wierd in the sense that it levels up like normal, but doesnt show it. So you either have 0% or 100%

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gotta have at least 100 gold before you can get a gold penalty (at which point it'll be 1gp - it's always 1% of your gold.) Also the XP penalty never drops you a level - it just zeros you out at 0%.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I think he was saying that parry wasn't affecting his highest skill; that it was only *attempting* to hurt his parry, which was at 0% (since it doesn't bug up at all at lvl 2, only around 25-35, or at least for me that is how it goes).

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I hope i'm not the silly person here but I think I understand his problem...
HE IS NOT TALKING ABOUT PARRY PERCENTAGES NOT SHOWING!

The problem he is speaking of is the new death penalty system...

Which is supposed to take 20%, 10%, or 5% from your HIGHEST SKILL...

our buddy here says that his parry is level 2

he also says that his sword skill is level 7

7 is greater than 2 so what SHOULD happen is that he loses 20% experience from swordmanship

right now he says what is happening is that the game says that he is being penalized for 0% from parry when he dies because his parry exp is at 0% an cannot go any lower...

gosh... i hope i didn't type this for nothing

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
our buddy here says that his parry is level 2

he also says that his sword skill is level 7

7 is greater than 2 so what SHOULD happen is that he loses 20% experience from swordmanship

Actually, I think it's a bit screwy in that it sorts through and looks for the highest sub-training level.

So if you have Sword 8 with a Balance of 12%.

...and say, Blunt Arms 2 with a Balance of 48%.

It'll penalize your blunt arms instead of your sword.

The whole skill system is setup in a rather screwy array, so it may have other issues. Seemed to be working more or less right on all my test chars though.

Code:
	if( DeathType == KILLED_BY_MONSTER ) 
	{
		//THOTHIE wants this so you lose:
		//up to 20% XP of your highest level stat when you die. 
		//20% at level 1-10, 
		//10% at levels 11-20, 
		//5% at levels 21-30, 
		//and 2% at levels above 30.
		//+ 1% of gold on hand
		//Contribs: HobbitG

float DeathTax = 0.01;
		int TaxOut = m_Gold;

(int)TaxOut *= DeathTax;
		GiveGold( -TaxOut, false );

int highestSkill = 0; 
		foreach( i , GetSkillStatCount() ) 
			if( GetSkillStat( i + SKILL_FIRSTSKILL ) > GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) ) 
				highestSkill = i;
		float modifier = 1.00; 

if( GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) <= 10 )
		{
			SendEventMsg( HUDEVENT_UNABLE, UTIL_VarArgs("Death Penalty: 20%% from %s and %i gp \n", SkillStatList[highestSkill].Name, TaxOut ) );
			modifier = 0.80;
		}

if( GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) <= 20 && GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) > 10 ) 
		{
			SendEventMsg( HUDEVENT_UNABLE, UTIL_VarArgs("Death Penalty: 10%% from %s and %i gp \n", SkillStatList[highestSkill].Name, TaxOut ) );
			modifier = 0.90; 
		}

if( GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) <= 30 && GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) > 20 ) 
		{
			SendEventMsg( HUDEVENT_UNABLE, UTIL_VarArgs("Death Penalty: 5%% from %s and %i gp \n", SkillStatList[highestSkill].Name, TaxOut ) );
			modifier = 0.95;
		}

if( GetSkillStat( highestSkill ) > 30 )
		{
			SendEventMsg( HUDEVENT_UNABLE, UTIL_VarArgs("Death Penalty: 2%% from %s and %i gp \n", SkillStatList[highestSkill].Name, TaxOut ) );
			modifier = 0.98;
		}

CStat *pLargest = FindStat( SKILL_FIRSTSKILL + highestSkill ); 
		foreach( r, pLargest->m_SubStats.size() ) 
			pLargest->m_SubStats[r].Exp *= modifier;
	} //Endif DeathType == KILLED_BY_MONSTER

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hey... an idea for the skill system; I think Balance & Proficiency should be combined into one thing... since they sound like they both go along the lines of the same idea (Balance: How well toned your weapon is... Proficiency: How well trained your skill with so-said weapon is *i.e.-trained balance skill*) :D

EDIT:
Just forgot this like a second after posting... but....
My point is that Balance should be slashed, leaving only Power & Proficiency to determine skills... I mentioned this because I've had Balance drag a skill down, and if not balance then proficiency, making it harshly penalizing your actual-skill-level.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
derno, i like balance and power... proficiency sounds like you're naming the skill

i.e.

sword skill sounds similar to sword proficiency...

balance + power = proficiency (sword skill)

^my lame opinion

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Actually... yea that does make more sense...

So then; it is settled; we players, who have opinions voiced by myself & mario, desire to have proficiency lvl'n'removed from the skills set level; leaving only Balance & Power.

Woot for the domination & dictation by two over-opinionated players !!

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
ok what about me... my parry sits at 0% ... i have lvl 11 swordsmanship lvl 10 MA, and lvl 4 archery... and my parry is still at 0 and its still lvl 1...

i have a shield... which hardly works... and i dont attack from afara obviously ... so whats up with my problem?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
h4x, obviously. ;) I'd maybe try switching primary weapons - tis true that some weapons train parry faster than others - each melee weapon has it's own parry %. It may also be you cannot get parry training from MA (I'd have to look it up). What's your primary sword, out of curosity?

As for the skills... Things would be MUCH simpler if the skills were just flat, skills, instead of this profciency/balance/power BS - a lot of the glitches we have are due to the way that array is setup, and there's no easy way to clean it up... Plus it looks like different coders chose to deal with it in different ways, so there's some nasty hacks involved in the code as a result. However, I dun think I can undo that without a character reset, which again, ain't gonna happen. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If it's a standard or greater ice blade - yeah, you ain't training any parry on that at your level.

Lesser Ice Blade might give you 5%-15% chance of parry at that level.

And yeah (after looking it up), parry chance with bare fists is 0%.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
If it's a standard or greater ice blade - yeah, you ain't training any parry on that at your level.

Lesser Ice Blade might give you 5%-15% chance of parry at that level.

And yeah (after looking it up), parry chance with bare fists is 0%.

do shields raise parry any?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Only when they are raised. The rest of the time they simply raise your base parry chance by a percentage, which does you no good, if you can't parry for sh*t to begin with. (I may change this...)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
It would be cool to have shields actively absorb 100% damage if the attack is too weak (like runeshield does, but not a chance-to-chance thing like it).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
All the shields do that, not just the rune shield. It'll deflect regardless of the strength of the attack. Each shield type has a %chance of doing so.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Not ALL shields absorb 100% of the damage -_-
The weaker shields pass more & more damage along to the holder of them, albeit they will absorb some of the damage.

I am talking about a thing where if the monster's attack hits LOW (like it usually does 50 dmg, but one hit it only does 20-to-30) then no matter the shield, it will take 100% of the blow; passing nothing along to the holder.

EDIT:
Of course, for the low hitting attack, the shield would have to be raised :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
All shields "deflect" 100% damage a certain% of the time, when they are down/idle.

All shields "absorb" a certain percentage of damage when they are up/active.

No shield absorbs 100% of the damage when it is up/active.

No shield deflects less than 100% of the damage when it is down/idle.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Fine -_-

I still think it would've been cool to make the shield yet more powerful... could be helpful for hit takers on ww3d.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Your proposal wouldn't help with that, as Lord BS (I mean *cough* Sir Geric) does far too much damage... Not that the shield's aren't already too powerful when dealing with him. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Double post ftl...

After further examination of the XP penalty... I see why it works so well with the test characters, and not so well in practice: namely that the test character's skills are artificially inflated, so their Parry Skill is not as high as a real-world character's tends to be.

I think what I'll have to do, is remove the skill % from a random skill instead of "highest" - since the meathod to detect highest skill is not all that dependable anyways.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
just make it highest skill excluding parry

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yeah...right....

thothie, if you take it from a random skill - that'd be...decent i guess, but if you take it form the highest skill it just means that new players wont uber-level parry...which could be a good thing - less parry related titles and such

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, hopefully I figure a way to let players do quests/challenges with pre-requisits for their own titles in the future.

Highest skill excluding parry doesn't work either... I'm having a bit of a time figuring out why I can't get it to work like I want... The experience indexes and the skill index are on separate arrays, that seem to be defined differently, making this rather difficult.