old but still what the hell man!?

vecraude

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
that god damn lightning field, its about time SOMEONE points out the elephant in the middle of the room, why the hell would you put some BS like that? as if it isnt retarded enough that you start over at the beginning if you die but WHAT THE HELL MAN!?

and seriously, the dying and starting over right after death? no someone needs to stop all progress, go back to start, and fix all the little shit picks from previous complaints, i come back to this mod in hopes that things will be easier, but the map hazzards have me dying more than enemies can kill me? the crap...

its all fine and good you want to toss challenge at the player, but when you bend them over and RAPE them with a lightning field, KNOWING that A)their loot is on the other side, B) if they dont have a pot their screwed and C)if they die they dont ever get their loot, just wtf? seriously....what kinda douchebag decided "oh hey, lets put a lightning field infront of the chest so that if they try to get it they will be zapped for 2.5k damage and never get their loot without something they damn well better think of ahead of time hur hur". its stupid decisions like these that debate wether the mod is worth playing anymore or not.

oh and why stop there? why not just muck the whole god damned thing up with problems with enemies, ofc the ancient problems of the birds unbelievable flight patterns, some mobs attack speeds being so insane for the damage they do that it just kills you off in a half a minute flat without HC but WITH an ice shield. like seriously, instead of stepping ahead and tripping again, try coordinating your steps, adjust it rather than just stumble around like a drunk hillbilly hick with a blood/alcohol level of 3.4 cause seriously the mod was good, the XP is a step in the great direction, but a LOT of mobs and dungeon designs need to be reworked to a more possible standard.

i like the progress so far, just very disheartened that instead of fixing a lot of the things people had problems with, you decided to cover it with new things but really you just left the problem unhandled. even for people, doing this on their own time, if you took any pride in what greatness you accomplished you would perfect it, work it like a person suffering from OCD till its perfect, and not just perfect for you, not just perfect for him or her, or them, just perfect on a video game scale.

you can keep it a trial and error game, or you can make it a game that people actually feel pulled into, a feeling like your playing a tabletop RPG with a couple of friends and actually get somewhere, not shafted on loot cause of some lightning field, or screwed cause your UGA just dont hit at all against enemies that can take 4 or 5 hits from it now, or left out cause everyones gone and beat X boss but you havnt cause their too OP and your too undergeared cause the loot setup has you running all kinds of variations of luck, swapping from killing luck to DP luck, to just LUCK.

what was once a simple game, became greatly expanded, then strengthened, then crippled from the lack of attention to prior creations...its like its rotting from the inside, someone just needs to get up, go into the old code, and fix it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Two words:
Lodestone Potion

You're supposed to get one before you get there.

...as for the rest, it sounds like you're simply wandering into areas out of your character's league.

vecraude

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
or one word:simplify

you shouldnt have to use an item to get your earned loot, its just so stupidly outbound that i cant imagine having the mentality like that, sure games do it but within reason its usually an item you have at hand or they blatantly point out "hey you need this to pass" not just nuke you and screw you on loot.

no you had to go with "drop you dead and screw you on loot if you dont have this item at the time" approach, i mean yea sure it DOES take a lot of time and effort to make maps and the code and that...but what is it saying about your mod when you dont even bring it to peoples attention what they need, the forums rule out spoilers so its not like a new player can just come up here asking, and even so why even go to such extreme lengths to "prevent farming" when you already know that if they die once they reset to the prison?

and moving on to other things how about that doors not opening and portals not showing up? what has that broke to the point of where people have to run a map over and over (most times the map glitching) just to get anything new? why is it now that this happens and not other patches? who did the patch work this time?

its just like i said before, i dont wanna become some damn obsessed potion drinker trying to become some godly force unreckoning hellbent on murdering everything in the map solo multiple times to get one item, and that same logic applies to needing a pissin potion to get some loot that i hard earned. again, why are there so many damn un needed deters from item farming at this point? and why is it so severe on some maps? why not just make it to where there will be a chest, on the other side of a giant fake floor, hovering over lava and electricity and lava sharks, why not also toss in a few elder horrors and put runghar down there as well?

back then farming was a problem, now its rarely a problem on any of the old stuff and people just trying to get that one item to complete their collection have to suffer countless failures, reattempts, and deaths with possible loss of XP just for that item. backtracking through some of the old maps i feel their nostalgia on how simplistic and enjoyable the mod was, then theres stuff like shad fort, the wall, noshalrath, hell once in a blue moon even thanatos annoys me cause of the birds and skellies that will just push you off the ledge.

but nothing is worse than a room, with an iron guardian, whom the loot to is behind a lightning field, that will one shot you UNLESS you have a specific item, but are not told about this item at all ingame...mm seems like someone inadvertantly dropped the ball somewhere.

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
So what's the problem here?

you shouldnt have to use an item to get your earned loot, its just so stupidly outbound that i cant imagine having the mentality like that, sure games do it but within reason its usually an item you have at hand or they blatantly point out "hey you need this to pass" not just nuke you and screw you on loot.

You found out the hard way. I had a good laugh at this, because I've died there not knowing that I needed the potion too. But really, it's not as if there is an "invisible" force field there. Master sword follows the teachings of the Bible, you spare the rod and you spoil the child. You see, MS:C understands this, and it punishes you for mistakes. Not just a slap on the wirst, it instead shocks you for a few thousand damage. Talk about good parental guidance! I bet you won't be walking into a trap like that again.

no you had to go with "drop you dead and screw you on loot if you dont have this item at the time" approach, i mean yea sure it DOES take a lot of time and effort to make maps and the code and that...but what is it saying about your mod when you dont even bring it to peoples attention what they need, the forums rule out spoilers so its not like a new player can just come up here asking, and even so why even go to such extreme lengths to "prevent farming" when you already know that if they die once they reset to the prison?

At the start of the game you aren't led by anyone to go around and figure out what all you gotta do, but you ARE given the ability to figure it out by talking with certain npcs that tell you what you need to know! Such as: weapon holsters, weapons, spells, potions, and the backstory the game is set in. Now much later in the game when you go to maps like the one where you raged on, it's much more of a figure-it-out-as-you-go deal, and death is bound to be an obstacle in your path.

and moving on to other things how about that doors not opening and portals not showing up? what has that broke to the point of where people have to run a map over and over (most times the map glitching) just to get anything new? why is it now that this happens and not other patches? who did the patch work this time?

This door issue just happened this patch and I'm sure it won't be a problem for very much longer. The doors not opening isn't the reason people run a map multiple times.

its just like i said before, i dont wanna become some damn obsessed potion drinker trying to become some godly force unreckoning hellbent on murdering everything in the map

My friend, maybe you haven't taken potions and became a godly force ripping through your enemies before. If you did, I don't think you'd have a problem with it.

and that same logic applies to needing a pissin potion to get some loot that i hard earned.

There are multiple places where a specific item is needed to gain access to goods. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Disagree all you want, it's more of a personal preference on this issue.

again, why are there so many damn un needed deters from item farming at this point? and why is it so severe on some maps? why not just make it to where there will be a chest, on the other side of a giant fake floor, hovering over lava and electricity and lava sharks, why not also toss in a few elder horrors and put runghar down there as well?

Maps are hard. This game is Master Sword : Continued, not Barbie's Horse adventure. Expect to die and expect to be chewed up and spit out, by stronger enemies than even Runghar. But again I have to disagree that maps are as hard as you describe, no person, not even myself, would enjoy trying to beat the kinda map you described.

back then farming was a problem, now its rarely a problem on any of the old stuff and people just trying to get that one item to complete their collection have to suffer countless failures, reattempts, and deaths with possible loss of XP just for that item.

If the item is worth it, then the price to pay shouldn't be an issue.

but nothing is worse than a room, with an iron guardian, whom the loot to is behind a lightning field, that will one shot you UNLESS you have a specific item,

The guardian is a piece of cake.. The only challenge in that room IS the force field. Defeat your enemy, or be defeated.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I agree with you about this:
very disheartened that instead of fixing a lot of the things people had problems with, you decided to cover it with new things but really you just left the problem unhandled.

But some of the things you are complaining about are fucking retarded. We desperately need more creativity in our maps, and we desperately need our maps to integrate with each other. The lightning field at shad palace is one of the few successful examples of both.

We need more loot that isn't obtained by fighting your way to a boss and killing it. Maps need to be dynamic and multifaceted, with multiple, unrelated goals. We need more loot that can only be obtained through special means. Drinking a potion to get past a magic shield is one way to do this. Shad palace is probably the best map in the game because of stuff like the secret passage and the blood drinker causing runeghar to be friendly.

Rather than just complain with a destructive attitude about what you don't like, why don't you do something to fix the problem? I can't stand the way this game has been haphazardly thrown together, but that's why I learned to map, so I could help correct the problem rather than just complain.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Remind me to thank Fresh Meat for saving me some typing, but in regards to that chest, yes, it is filled with some of the rarest and finest loot in the game, and is specifically designed so that only those that deserve the loot can get it. All the first visit does, is let you know it's there.

Now, I coulda been kinder and setup a key that only worked for the person who gathered the item from another map, rather than a potion, but that's about the extent of it - it'd be less interesting, would have no other use, and wouldn't have followed Rickler's puzzle intent anyways.

As for the rest, again, it sounds as if you've been wandering into areas your character is not prepared for, or limiting yourself in some critical way. (eg. Concentrating to maintain a "pure" stat, or, more evidentially, not using potions due to fear of addiction or some such.)

I should clarify, it isn't possible for your character to suffer from potion addiction with side effects ala Jet from Fallout3 or what not… Nor is there anything tracking how many potions you drink for some plan to implement something of the like down the line… Unlike say, Dark Energy. ;)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Since potions probably need to be nerfed, i think a cool way to do that would be to set up some kind of addiction/tolerance system, so that you need MOAR POT to get the same effect as before, unless you stop drinking pot for a while.

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Since potions probably need to be nerfed, i think a cool way to do that would be to set up some kind of addiction/tolerance system, so that you need MOAR POT to get the same effect as before, unless you stop drinking pot for a while.

Thothie said:
I should clarify, it isn't possible for your character to suffer from potion addiction with side effects ala Jet from Fallout3 or what not… Nor is there anything tracking how many potions you drink for some plan to implement something of the like down the line… Unlike say, Dark Energy. ;)

I disagree that potions should be nerfed except in terms of rarity without a large rebalance, since Thothie has previously stated that difficulty is balanced with the assumption that players have the potions/resist equipment, which is plainly obvious in the case of say, lightning monsters.

Hakariaki

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
hahaha i lold allot reading this...
It really sounds like you have skipped all the maps that are in your hp range. A tip would be read the Worldmap And look for maps that fit your level. You may also find some maps there you dident know about that you would like;)

There are no impossible maps, i am still hopeing for harder maps with even more sinister traps and mobs. you just need to learn how to deal with the harder maps, there are many various damagetypes and resistance some mobs are stronger or weaker to some of them.

that god damn lightning field, its about time SOMEONE points out the elephant in the middle of the room, why the hell would you put some BS like that? as if it isnt retarded enough that you start over at the beginning if you die but WHAT THE HELL MAN!?

We all have died there learning it the hard way. and you dont need to drink a potion to get to the loot, there are other ways aswell;) no spoilers, thats for you to find out;)

or screwed cause your UGA just dont hit at all against enemies that can take 4 or 5 hits from it now,

I belive the UGA is still the best weapon for leveling divination. You may miss allot in beginning but the hitrate and dmg gets ALLOT better the higher lvl you get;)

Now young warrior, go out there and find some maps fitting for your level and explore!