Not quite MSC specific, but... Custom color sprays

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
One of the more recent updates Valve made caused custom colors sprays to break. I (the sprayer) can see them, but everyone else just sees a flesh-coloured splotch on the wall. In the past few months I've only seen one working color spray by someone else, and tried to puzzle it out with them, and still couldn't get it figured out.

Do any of you have any idea how to get them working again? It's kinda pissin' me off, to be honest, 'cause I had put in a lil bit of time making myself a bunch of sprays when I learned how to do it (and even recently, before I learned they wouldn't work proper, I made one or two).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Upcoming Changelog said:
• Added lore relevant logos to the available spray paints, prefixed with msc_
1221180138078.png

Figures.

I do know they changed how spraypaints work not too long ago, and the lore logos I added take this into account, and thus work under the new system. I don't know if they still work multi-player, however - not tested that yet.

The new version requires 8-bit grayscale, non-RLE BMP's, no larger than 64x64, in your msc/logos folder.

I also wouldn't be surprised if logos placed herein no longer propagate, and are actually required to already exist on the client viewing them. (Really, the change seemed more of an effort to put an end to offensive pr0n spraypaint, than anything else.)

If you're under the old Half-Life install (steam/steamapps/<username>/half-life, instead of .../common/half-life), it'll probably fsk up, either for you, anyone trying to view yours, or visa versa, should they be under the old Half-Life install.

Might also help to delete msc/pldecal.wad, should it exist.

If you are still able to see larger, multi-color, or animated logos, of some players, but not others, it's probably because they are in your pldecal.wad cache from before the change, but that no longer updates.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Say what? No wonder my fake ladder/fake door spray stopped working. That... sucks. :evil: