New player overflowing

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
I'm posting this on behalf of a new player. I'm not sure a rollback would be helpful due to the age of the affected character, so I've elected to stick it here.
He rolled his first character sometime yesterday, levelled up some, and started getting reliable channel overflows. I guess he decided to reroll today, and was doing good until about twenty minutes ago, when he started overflowing again on the second attempt at a character.

His steam id is STEAM_0:0:21566692
The character effected is in the first slot, he told me. The name of the character should be Vital.

I believe he was going to try posting this himself but was having trouble registering an account (something about the capcha not being cooperative, showing a code and not accepting it).

If not for the fact that this is two characters getting borked two days in a row, I would have suggested he try rerolling, but I can't help but imagine that there's something causing these issues to come up that rerolling might not solve.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Next time - I still get beeps from there, so I respond faster.

Rolled him back to the most recent archive where his character was modified... About four hours before this post (or Philae landing -3 hours as I keep time now.)

Dunno if it'll help... If not, maybe I'll get a chance to look over his character and see if I can find something. Very odd to get corrupted at such a young age - short of the usual transition black-hole crash.

The forums don't seem to like gmail or hotmail accounts (more accurately, they don't like us) - dunno what else may have us black listed. First I've heard of a problem with the captcha though.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
Thanks for the rollback, it seems to have helped so far.

I was thinking about putting it into the rollback section, but I wasn't sure if that'd be an option in this case, as I'm not even sure how old the character was. I was kinda hoping that there'd be something obvious that'd come up and be what the problem was caused by.
If it helps, the last thing he did before he started overflowing was pick up a normal Skullblade from the Giant Bat chest in Chapel.

If another issue like this comes up with him, shall I add it to this thread, or should I go ahead and throw it into the other section?

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hello, char owner here. Here's the problem: I create character, play for some time, try to not pile up items in my inv, and at some point when i kill mob i dont get exp and after a few sec i get booted with channel overflow. After it i always can relog with my char and play alright but next overflow happens pretty soon, most of the time i dont get exp for kill as well and get booted with same old overflow. console warnings that might help:
Requesting tempdecal.wad from server
unconnected has joined the game
Error: server failed to transmit file 'customization'
After second overflow i cant even log in my char, i click on him and nothing happens, if i wait i still get overflow error after a minute or two. That will be 3rd time my char gets messed up, i logged in with rolled back char(thanks) and played till first overflow. All this stuff is bloody mysterious, as i searched through troubleshooting threads i couldnt find problems like it.
edit: i gonna play till second overflow if it will help investigation.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Glad you found your way in...

If you've owned Half-Life for quite awhile, uninstall and reinstall it, then reinstall the main installer and betapack again (Valve moved the Half-Life folders around in 2014). This is sounding more like an installation or settings issue than a character issue. :\

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Oook... I reinstalled hl1 without addons and installed mod and latest beta pack(it is cumulative right?) and when i tried to log in with my char background just changed color to grey and nothing happened. All the same, but i think i gonna make 1 more try and create new char. Lets see how he gonna last on fresh install.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Both of your characters in the last archive load fine here... So I dunno...

What are your system specs and/or GPU? Have ye tried turning the bloom off? (ms_boom_level 0, or via adv options)

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
intel core i5 3.10GHz x 4
8 gb ram
geforce gtx 560 Ti
windows 7
Bloom is always off.
I tried reinstalling couple of times, Its always the same: I cant log in with existing char even if i had no overflows. It happens with little variations: either i see starting spawn for a split-second and then char screen again, or background turns grey for 1 sec and then becomes black again or nothing happens at all. If i stay on the character screen for a couple of minutes i get steam verification error and game terminates.
Last thing to try is reinstalling steam i guess.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
vint1991 said:
intel core i5 3.10GHz x 4
8 gb ram
geforce gtx 560 Ti
windows 7
Bloom is always off.
I tried reinstalling couple of times, Its always the same: I cant log in with existing char even if i had no overflows. It happens with little variations: either i see starting spawn for a split-second and then char screen again, or background turns grey for 1 sec and then becomes black again or nothing happens at all. If i stay on the character screen for a couple of minutes i get steam verification error and game terminates.
Last thing to try is reinstalling steam i guess.
That's pretty close to my config from a year or so ago...

Wouldn't bother reinstalling steam, except to maybe delete the blob files... Hrmm...

White out + Steam crash from staying too long on the loading screen is kinda standard though. Server only gives you so much time to spawn in and verify that the Steam ID and character matches up proper to prevent a nasty little sploit. Should give you a few minutes though.

I'm gonna copy your first slot over my first slot and see what happens, cuz I get nothing odd at all on this end of things.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...and... He's fine...

Dunno what do. :\

Take it you've tried a few different RKS servers? He's fine on Chicago #5. :/

Took him from MSCave to Edana (with a non-fatal memory dealloc along the way)... Sold off his skins... Reconnected, (forgetting I could just talk to Edrin to fix my inv bug).... Bought a hammer, knocked out boars until I got it to 4, and had went from 21 to 38 HP. Then sold some more hides and did the mayor quest (again). So... Yeah.
(This won't affect your char, btw, I just copied it over to my Steam ID.)

If ya could find and post the following files (preferably in [code][/code] brackets):
msc/log_cldll.log
msc/config.cfg

Might help, but... Dunno.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
After you select your character, what happens if you open your console?

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thats console after join the server:

BUILD 6027 SERVER (0 CRC)
Server # 2
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1920_Primary Button Text.tga
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1920_CommandMenu Text.tga
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1920_Scoreboard Text.tga
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1920_Scoreboard Title Text.tga
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1920_Scoreboard Small Text.tga
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1920_Title Font.tga
Couldn't open file overviews/edana.txt. Using default values for overiew mode.

After i try to join with bugged char i get 1 second of grey background and nothing new in console. Also i cant log in with fresh-made char after i click on bugged one. If i reenter server and pick not bugged char first everything goes fine.

If i reconnect 2nd time i get this if i try to log on with bugged char.

Server # 2
You attach your sack to your belt.

info from log_cldll:
Code:
Thu Nov 13 17:15:01 2014

[DLLEXPORT Initialize: Complete]
[HUD_GetHullBounds: Complete]
[HUD_Init: InitInput]
[HUD_Init: gHUD.Init]
Precaching Items...
Done precaching items
[HUD_Init: Scheme_Init]
[HUD_Init: Complete]
[TeamFortressViewport: Initialize]
[Create VGUI Menus: Complete]
[Scoreboard: Complete]
[TeamFortressViewport: Complete]
[VGui_Startup: Complete]
[HUD_VidInit: Complete]
[__MsgFunc_InitHUD]
[MsgFunc_InitHUD: EndMap]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: Globals]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: CLEnt Readin]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: SetupDefGlobals]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: AuthID]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: Charnum]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: Clearvotes]

Server IP: 127.0.0.1

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: InitHUDData]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: SpawnIntoServer]

SpawnIntoServer...DONE
[MsgFunc_InitHUD: NewMap]

[NewMap]: edana
[MsgFunc_InitHUD: InitNewLevel]

Video Card Vender: NVIDIA Corporation
Video Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0
OpenGL Extensions: GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_clear_texture GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_compute_shader GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_copy_image GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_indirect_parameters GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multi_bind GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_program_interface_query GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters GL_ARB_shader_group_vote GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store GL_ARB_shader_image_size GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_precision GL_ARB_query_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_shading_language_packing GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_stencil_texturing GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_query_levels GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_texture_view GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback2 GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_EXT_import_sync_object GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KHR_debug GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_bindless_multi_draw_indirect GL_NV_blend_equation_advanced GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_compute_program5 GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_copy_image GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_draw_texture GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility GL_NV_explicit_multisample GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_gpu_program4_1 GL_NV_gpu_program5 GL_NV_gpu_program5_mem_extended GL_NV_gpu_program_fp64 GL_NV_gpu_shader5 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2 GL_NV_path_rendering GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_shader_atomic_counters GL_NV_shader_atomic_float GL_NV_shader_buffer_load GL_NV_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_sparse_texture GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_multisample GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_transform_feedback2 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_attrib_integer_64bit GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control 
OpenGL ActiveTexture Extention: FOUND
[VGUIImages_NewLevel Complete]

[InitNewLevel Complete]

[MsgFunc_InitHUD: Complete]

[__MsgFunc_InitHUD]

SpawnIntoServer...DONE

OpenGL Extensions: GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_clear_texture GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_compute_shader GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_copy_image GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_indirect_parameters GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multi_bind GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_program_interface_query GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters GL_ARB_shader_group_vote GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store GL_ARB_shader_image_size GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_precision GL_ARB_query_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_shading_language_packing GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_stencil_texturing GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_query_levels GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_texture_view GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback2 GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_EXT_import_sync_object GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KHR_debug GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_bindless_multi_draw_indirect GL_NV_blend_equation_advanced GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_compute_program5 GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_copy_image GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_draw_texture GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility GL_NV_explicit_multisample GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_gpu_program4_1 GL_NV_gpu_program5 GL_NV_gpu_program5_mem_extended GL_NV_gpu_program_fp64 GL_NV_gpu_shader5 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2 GL_NV_path_rendering GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_shader_atomic_counters GL_NV_shader_atomic_float GL_NV_shader_buffer_load GL_NV_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_sparse_texture GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_multisample GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_transform_feedback2 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_attrib_integer_64bit GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control 

[InitNewLevel Complete]

Recieved SPAWN message...
Player Successfully Spawned
[__MsgFunc_InitHUD]

SpawnIntoServer...DONE

[InitNewLevel Complete]

Info from config:
Code:
// This file is overwritten whenever you change your user settings in the game.
// Add custom configurations to the file "userconfig.cfg".

unbindall
bind "TAB" "+showscores"
bind "ENTER" "accept"
bind "ESCAPE" "cancelselect"
bind "SPACE" "+jump"
bind "1" "quickslot weapon"
bind "2" "quickslot spell"
bind "3" "inventory"
bind "=" "thirdperson"
bind "`" "toggleconsole"
bind "a" "+moveleft"
bind "b" "toggle_bloom"
bind "c" "drop"
bind "d" "+moveright"
bind "e" "+use"
bind "f" "menu interact"
bind "h" "switchhand"
bind "i" "inventory"
bind "j" "say_text 2"
bind "p" "playerinfo"
bind "q" "use"
bind "r" "+special"
bind "s" "+back"
bind "u" "say_text 1"
bind "v" "act"
bind "w" "+forward"
bind "x" "get"
bind "y" "say_text 0"
bind "~" "toggleconsole"
bind "BACKSPACE" "+showscores"
bind "LEFTARROW" "+left"
bind "RIGHTARROW" "+right"
bind "CTRL" "+duck"
bind "F1" "+quickslot 1"
bind "F2" "+quickslot 2"
bind "F3" "+quickslot 3"
bind "F4" "+quickslot 4"
bind "F5" "+quickslot 5"
bind "F6" "+quickslot 6"
bind "F7" "+quickslot 7"
bind "F8" "+quickslot 8"
bind "F9" "+quickslot 9"
bind "F10" "+quickslot 10"
bind "F12" "menu main"
bind "PGDN" "hud_scroll down"
bind "PGUP" "hud_scroll up"
bind "HOME" "hud_scroll select"
bind "MWHEELDOWN" "hud_scroll down"
bind "MWHEELUP" "hud_scroll up"
bind "MOUSE1" "+attack"
bind "MOUSE2" "+attack2"
bind "MOUSE3" "switchhand"
bind "MOUSE4" "playerinfo"
bind "PAUSE" "kill"
_snd_mixahead "0.1"
ati_npatch "1.0"
bgmvolume "1.000000"
bottomcolor "6"
brightness "2"
cl_allowdownload "1"
cl_allowupload "1"
cl_cmdbackup "2"
cl_cmdrate "30"
cl_dlmax "128"
cl_download_ingame "1"
cl_himodels "1"
cl_idealpitchscale "0.8"
cl_lc "1"
cl_logocolor "#Valve_Orange"
cl_logofile "lambda"
cl_lw "1"
cl_mousegrab "1"
cl_timeout "60"
cl_updaterate "20"
cl_vsmoothing "0.05"
con_color "255 155 50"
con_mono "0"
console "1.0"
crosshair "1.000000"
fps_max "120.0"
gamma "3"
gl_dither "1"
gl_flipmatrix "0"
gl_fog "1"
gl_monolights "0"
gl_overbright "0"
gl_polyoffset "0.1"
gl_vsync "1"
hisound "1"
hpk_maxsize "0"
hud_capturemouse "1"
hud_centerid "1"
hud_classautokill "1"
hud_takesshots "1"
joystick "0"
lookspring "0.000000"
lookstrafe "0.000000"
m_filter "1"
m_forward "1"
m_pitch "0.022000"
m_rawinput "0"
m_side "0.8"
m_yaw "0.022"
model "gordon"
MP3FadeTime "2.0"
MP3Volume "1"
mp_decals "300.000000"
ms_autocharge "1"
ms_bloom_darken "-1"
ms_bloom_level "0.000000"
ms_doubletapdodge "1"
ms_evthud_decaytime "100"
ms_evthud_history "20"
ms_evthud_size "14.000000"
ms_help "1"
ms_hidehud "0"
ms_lildude "1"
ms_music "1"
ms_music_volume "1.000000"
ms_quickslot_timeout "2.5"
ms_reconnect_delay "5"
ms_reflect "1"
ms_reflect_dbg "0"
ms_txthud_bgtrans "0"
ms_txthud_decaytime "9.000000"
ms_txthud_history "50"
ms_txthud_size "8.000000"
ms_txthud_width "640"
ms_xpdisplay "0"
name "Vit"
net_graph "0"
net_graphpos "1"
net_scale "5"
r_detailtextures "1"
sensitivity "23"
skin ""
suitvolume "0.250000"
sv_aim "0"
sv_voiceenable "1"
team ""
topcolor "30"
viewsize "110"
voice_enable "1"
voice_forcemicrecord "1.000000"
voice_modenable "1"
voice_scale "1"
volume ".3"
+mlook
exec userconfig.cfg
upd: went to chicago 5 and tried to log in by clicking on the char multiple time and got this:

Server # 7
Reliable channel overflowed

i changed to non-widescreen and window mode this time because i thought it will help. After overflow i couldnt reconnect to the server and it disappeared from browser for a short time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, if you change resolution in Half-Life, you need to shut it down afterwards. It fails rather miserably at rebuilding itself.

With the exception of "Reliable channel overflowed" (which is probably the point ya got dumped) all that looks normal.

Close Steam.

Go to your Steam folder and rename:
ClientRegistry.blob
AppUpdateStats.blob

Make sure you're getting your MSC install from ye sacred download page, and not from some heathen distributer. Be sure that you installed "Master Sword Continued 1.2" and then the "MSC Betapack - SEP2013a" in that order. (Think we've already confirmed you've done this, but I'm kinda reaching here.)

Click on the thingie that shows ya the installer log and keep an eye out for errors.

Make sure the installer is pointing to:
<your_steam_path>\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life\msc
And not:
<your_steam_path>\Steam\steamapps\<your_account_name>\Half-Life\msc
Cuz if it is pointing at the latter, Half-Life didn't update right for some reason... Think we've covered this base too though...

Beyond that, I think we're down to help pages even more generic (though right off, your rates look fine...)

I know they did away with rate and cl_rate, but I dunno how Steam determines said rates now - can't even set it under Settings. :\ This could be a problem. Ya can try setting rate and cl_rate to 20000 in console, but I dun think they do anything anymore.

Ya might wanna right click on Half-Life and disable the Steam Cloud for that game. (I suppose if they were gonna put bunk rate settings anywhere, it'd be there.)

If it's only crashing in Edana, you could turn the reflections off ( ms_reflect 0 ) but I really doubt that's it - that graphics card should be fine, and I suspect you'd get some non-net related error.

Don't launch in Big Picture mode - I've no clue what that might do (no one actually uses that, do they?)

It may very well be the clientregsitry.blob, unless you really did reinstall Steam.

Also, check if you have similar behavior on a listen server (Create Kingdom).

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Done all of it, logged in with new char and went pretty far this time. Enough to think that problem is solved.
HA HA HA
NO.
After switching servers i got same old gray screen and nothing.
Looks like problem exists beyond logic and game mechanics and physics with pc electronics. It just exists and i cant play.
rollback of my char on 2nd slot named Vit 30 min or hour back from now on might help but i doubt it will fix everything completely.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I can roll back, but again, already verified that the problem isn't on the character end.

You are closing MSC before switching servers, yes?

Gray screen...

Not the same whiteness you get when you sit on the char select page too long, I take it...

Hrmm...

Ya can try adding -nofbo to the MSC launch options. It's a recent Half-Life flag that fixes a "green screen" glitch on some graphics cards, but maybe it's coming up gray now, idk.

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hmm nope i just disconnect from the server and get to the other one.
Added -nofbo to launch options, all the same. It is not like screen turns all grey and i cant see anything, When i click on the char i see starting location at edana for a second and then background turns grey for like 2 seconds. It doesnt freeze, i can move mouse pointer, chars react when i hover it over them. Looks like at some point i get something that prevents me from spawning and wrecks the game so i cant even log in with fresh char after i try to log in broken one or create that new char and see him appear on the list like they usually do. Gotta reconnect to see it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Assuming you're not using some odd free Half-Life client (which I dun think would get you this far)... I'm outta ideas here.

Maybe it's time for me to do a fresh Half-Life install on my laptop and see if a new fresh install does something this ancient one doesn't.

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I can roll back, but again, already verified that the problem isn't on the character end.
Hold on there. When i got that bug you rolled back my char and it helped, although char got rolled to pretty basic state with 5 polearms skill and thats all but i could actually log in and play! I guess at some point i get some kind of item or special number of these items or exp amount or whatever that wrecks my char to the point i cant log him in.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I suppose I could test with another character... Which one is buggered at the moment?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Still no problems with #1 on RKS Chicago #6... (Looks like the same 21hp char I tested last time.)

And no problems with #2 on RKS Chicago #4. Poor bastard looks like he's worked up to 50hp, and never left Edana - sold his pelts, beat some more boars, no issues.

So, yeah... My laptop's out on lone, but it should come back this evening. I'll do a from-scratch Steam install then, and see if things wind up any different.

...One thing though, do all your characters have the same name?

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes, if it gets bugged i delete it and create char with same nickname. I doubt that nickname is problem there. I can play till that special moment after all.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I... Hope that isn't it. I mean... It seems if that was a problem, *someone* woulda noticed by now. :roll:

I know it doesn't cause a problem on a LAN listenserver - all my test chars are named "MAP_TEST_CHAR".

But I do know that having two players with the same character name on the server, at the same time, causes various network oddities.

So...

If you really don't want to lose the characters, I can take them to the priest, rename them, and copy them back to your Steam ID, but they're so young, I don't think deleting them to make new ones with different names would be much of a loss.

vint1991

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think its about finding out how chars gonna behave when rolled back for a bit. If i can log in and play after 30 min rollback it just adds to my version of "some item or skill value that messes up the char". Sure i can make new ones but so far all new chars met their fate as unplayable sooner or later.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I tried replacing all my characters with yours, and deleting my third, but nadda... Both still loaded fine.

Granted, my game name and steam user name are different from those characters, but I really doubt that's it...

Since they work fine on FN from here, IDK what it could be but some difference in our clients, but I'm working up that fresh Steam install on a different system.

Did ya launch Half-Life and start the Training Course to make sure it all downloaded?