New 3D Artist, C&C Welcome

DaPPa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ello Ello, ive just started 3D Modeling like 2 days ago and ive completed a fair few tutorials and im getting the hang of it! i finished tweaking my sword (which i ended up building from scrap so no guidence).
swordclosetw6.jpg

swordfarnw8.jpg

Ive just applied for a Modeling position here at MS:C, not expecting to get accepted considering my experience but it would be nice to be allowed to submit work to them and get tips.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
wow, nice model ;)

i really hope you can skin as well as model - we seem to lack people that can skin thier models too...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It'll never be finished. :(

Jeeze, even this model was more or less done, and I never got it.

No model that wasn't a reskin of another model has made it to the finished stage in this thread... The exception being three models by Jester, none of which were ever posted as [WIP].

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
umm.. we need a new armor set... with a matching sword and shield.... there has to be one set floating around these forums... hmm

[/would love it if they got skinned]

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
the ms: source mod team?
or the ms : continued mod team?(a.k.a Thothie)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well... i need an elf girl models for 2 maps im making...
Kray Eldorad and Wicardoven.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
yea, can u animate good, well.. w.e? cause i cant . not only that when u gave me that request for that elf girl i was modeling for 3 days ...

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i didt mean to be evil... i just wanted to appoint and announce i need an elf girl... as a matter of fact...thothie posted a good model... i supposed you can add ears to that?

DaPPa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hmm

Ello again, ive been getting the hang of UV mapping today and successfully mapped my sword ready for skinning.

Problem : Im using XSI MOD Tool 4.2 which is a free limited vesion of the commercial package.

And apparently the "Export Clip" has been disabled, which i think means i cant actualy export the clip as an image in order to skin it.....

Well ive been thinking of getting the full version but apparently Mod tool "scenes" are a seperate format and cant be loaded in the full kit.

although i have my model exported as an .xsi which will load in the full version, i will have to re-do my uv map.

I need to speak to a fully fledged half life 1 modeler on the team to get some info on how i go about gettin it into the game problem-free, questions along the lines of :

1. recomended Poly ranges and model sizes for the 1st Person Model, World Model, and DM Model (think they are the terms) for future weapons i may produce for you.

Which Tools/Programs are used for Coverting Formats or compatable Import/Export.

Whats the deal with .qc Scripts? Compiling .smd's into .mdl's. and any other details i will need to know.

I will progress into learning animating in the future if needed but i want to get used to what ive learned over the past few days first.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
if u cant export the UV map to a picture file... a non paying way would to just print screen it and save it as a bmp file

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i could also reskin the face removing thoose tatoos...they are ugly
oh and thothie...i cant do the swords.mdl editing thing without a functional milkshape it will take too much time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I like the tats. ;)

DaPPa

New Adventurer
Reaction score

This has gone way off topic, is anyone gonna answer my questions?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
arg! the angles! 500 odd polys, should a least be 1200

Edit: Use 3ds max :)