Need a spot of information.

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a hiatus from my FN character, and doing a solo LAN experiment. Don't ask me why, maybe I just enjoy pain.

I already have a rather complete mental library of where to get most drops, but that's not my concern.
I need to know if there are any items that are *impossible* to get solo, not just highly unlikely. I can deal with highly unlikely. Disregard high-end difficulty maps that I know I'll never beat solo for the sake of this, I have a rather depressing view of my limitations there as well.

Now, I'm not asking for locations of these items so hopefully the information won't fall under spoilers. I just don't want to waste time trying to get this, that, and the other thing if it's impossible for me to get the drop in the first place. Starting to hit the steeper leveling inclines, though everything is < level 26 except certain spellcasting elements.

I've noticed a few drops seem overly difficult to obtain, namely serpent gauntlets, and regular ice blade. I can't tell you how many times I've run known places where those two items drop only to be unsuccessful. I eventually found the ice blade, but serpent gaunts, I swear they don't exist for me :( Demon claws are giving me some trouble as well but I just need to get lucky on one of my runs at that place there - one of these days.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Phoenix armor, stormpharaoh's lance.
Not sure about other items (yet).

lvb2555 said:
I've noticed a few drops seem overly difficult to obtain, namely serpent gauntlets
Really? I seem to find Serpent Gauntlets (level 15 Martial Arts weapon) in just about every high-level (30 - 40) map. I've seen them drop in nashalrath, kfortress, gertenheld_cave, thanatos, shad_palace, the_wall, umulak, and that one new map from the latest patch. It would probably only take me a few hours to get a character with 60 of them.

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Most of those are individual chests, though some of them I'm not sure of (like Umulak, which I haven't played through) but I've done g_cave many times, and I could do thanatos if I wanted to, but catacombs isn't plausible for me yet (mainly the vapor of dewm).

About 10 g_cave runs and probably another dozen runs in other places I've seen em drop and I have nothing much other than a few random high level potions. I figured I could get serp gaunts there, but I just might need some more HP, getting close to 700 so maybe that milestone will kick the drops up a notch. As far as 30-40 maps, I really don't want to have to run such hard maps that I have to BS to high hell to advance for a level 15 item :\

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Vapor of doom shouldn't spawn with less than 1000hp on the map (though the warlord will still pwn you). A lot of the treasure spawn odds are next-to-none single player - you can expect to do the same map 50+ times to no avail. The individualized chests are usually among the more generous in that regards - it's mostly the older ones that get really stingy in SP.

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Vapor of doom shouldn't spawn with less than 1000hp on the map (though the warlord will still pwn you)

I'm fairly confident in my ability to BS my way past the warlord (lots of patience and volcano spell, for instance) But I know for a fact the vapor spawns with less than 1000hp, if memory serves when I played it with me friend right after the patch there was only 800 hp on the server, and we got the vapor and all 4 of the big skele guardians, don't think we saw anything else above level II though, could be wrong. Don't know if the scaling has been tweaked since the patch though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Code:
{
"classname" "msmonster_giantbat"
"delaylow" "1"
"delayhigh" "2"
"lives" "1"
"spawnchance" "100"
"reqhp" "1000" //<=====================
"defscriptfile" "monsters/giantbat"
"angles" "0 270 0"
"scriptfile" "monsters/shadow_form"
"spawnarea" "spawn1"
"title" "an|Eldritch Vapor"
"origin" "839 816 -196"
}

The others require 2000, 3000, and 5000 so umm...

...oh...

...wait...

Bloody hell, there's one in that set after you exit the frost caves that doesn't have a hpreq, ain't there? :\ (Doubly bad since it actually was on the list of things to fix - thought I did. :/)

Meh, none of the vapors are on the scale system, but they have min hp requirements to spawn, and the meaner ones have hp/dmg multis. You *could* probably handle *one* at a low level (which should be all you get), if you have some serious holy bolts or arrows. Dunno if it'd be worth the expenditure though.

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Aye, don't exactly remember at what point, it might've been right after the frost caves, I know we had to kill it before the fire cave, so after the frost cave sounds reasonable. I believe the vapor does lightning damage if I'm not mistaken (seemed like it was lightning), so I really don't want to try, regardless of expenses, before I procure a ring of electrical resistance. And running for that ring is incredibly time consuming without acid bolt/UGA :( Though I doubt I'll be able to solo that big mother hubber to get AB (I know of a few strats, just don't have the req. equipment) or find loreldian ore any time soon.