My MS:C Server.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Since there's almost no server anymore, I want to host mine again, it's not 24/7 sadly, but it's powerful, but I need tips to make MS:C like it, since I have HUGE lag with 3-4 people, my specs are:

- 2048 MB RAM.
- Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPU's).
- 1 MB Download 320 Upload internet speed.
- nVidia Geforce 6600 256 MB's.

So any tips to make the server run better is highly needed. From commands to plugins.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
how do you lag with 4 people o_o

try that new amx2006 that thothie linked...also keep in mind that 150 ping isn't BAD in MS:C, since its not really competitive...

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My server ran fine with 6 people, are you also playing the game or doing other stuff?

btw my server stats are:
Pentium 4 2.4 ghz with HT
1 gb ddr400
geforce mx420 64mb
3mb down, 300k up

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
- 1 MB Download 320 Upload internet speed.
- Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPU's).

With so much extra CPU power, and so little bandwidth, I would recommend running pingbooster on that sucker.

You can either do that via the plugin included in the AMX package (which I recommend the most) - or you can use the commandline switch -pingboost 1|2|3 (method 1, 2, or 3), which I've had less luck with.

Dual Processors may also not be configured optimally for HLDS - Pingbooster will help with that, but check processor affinity and such in the task manager.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Thothie you were right about HLDS, I ran a listen server lately and it works wonders, I'll check the ping booster and Hlds soon.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually... This new MS.DLL I got going - while it doesn't really fix any bugs per say, it does WONDERS for the way my server runs. I recompiled fully optimized for speed and with P4 enhancements, as opposed to the default compile settings originally used.

I managed to run myself and five other players though Lowlands->Highlands->Lostcastle->Skycastle->Calruin2->ms_snow - and only on Skycastle did the pings gover over 300 for any real length of time [and then partly due to a screwup]. (This is with the client and server on the same puter, mind you). I have NEVER managed to pull that before. Generally I can't join my server with more than 3 peeps on, even from the laptop. (or 2, depending on which peeps) As it just totally locks (ping 1000+)

If yer still having problems, and are feeling brave, maybe you can help me test the new MS.DLL for bugs on your server. Try to get a "baseline" feel for what your ping is under the current MS.DLL first.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Send me it over PM whenever you want, I'll surely like to try it out.

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'll be happy to try it too, I might set up my server again for that... i'll also have feedback about performance on linux. Maybe with this new compile we'll be able to get a *proper* linux server :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wonder if I can find some sort of VS2003 project converter to port it to linux...

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
that's exactly what i was thinking. I do know that the same c++ code can be compiled on linux and windows, assuming it doesn't depend on any windows-only dll's or something, and with some compilers it's just a matter of changing a target platform flag.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It does have a lot of Windows32 procs... There's no linux option in the VS2003 compiler, but someone may make an NMAKE that has it, or some such.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Here's the P4 optimized MS.DLL my public beta server is currently running:
http://www.thothie.com/msc/ms_dll_beta_nov4th-2006.rar

The one on my private beta has some bugs (no weird/mysterious ones - I know what I did) - but this one seems stable.

This is VS2003's idea of P4 optimization - as such, it may help out newer AMD's as well - as I assume (or would hope) any standard Intel sets, AMD makes allowances for in their subsequent releases.

Too bad I can't hyperthread it. ;)

Be sure to backup your old ms.dll first

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
This does works nicely, but I think I have spotted some AI bugs, not sure if it has to do with new .dll or not, I'll pm it to you to avoid mass exploiting.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
AI bugs almost certainly due to SC.DLL updates, rather than the MS.DLL. I've debugged a few of those in the past few days.