My first model :D (and I didn't use a step-by-step tutorial)

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I just finished my first model using 3ds Max (I read in a previous post, that Gaz said 3ds Max is best). So now I've gotten to the compile part and I have no idea, whatsoever, how to do it. Please help me :p

screenie
I know that it needs lots of work but consider it a beta.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, congratz for getting max and learning the very basics :)

First, I suggest you create a new file in max, build a cube.

Then, with the cube selected, right click in the 3d view, and choose "Convert to -> Convert to editable mesh"

Then you will notice on your right, that the menu has changed, your now able to select the cube by: (click the plus sign next to "editable mesh")

vertex
edge
face
polygon
element

The next step is to see where all your triangles actually are, make sure the cube is selected, right click it, and choose properties from the menu.

You'll now be presented with a window with lots of options, untick "only edges", if you notice no difference, press F4 after.
You'll notice the triangles that the cube is constructed out of are now visible.

I suggest you then select the editiable mesh by face, this lets you select triangles on the cube. Try with polygon rather than face, and see how the selection stops at the full white edges.

With either face or polygon selection, play with the menus below, with things like:

"extrude" (click a face, hold down, and drag)
"collapse" (turn the selected face into a vertex point)

then try vertex selection, and try using "weld -> target"
Select a vertex, then drag your mouse over another, the verts will weld together.

If thats all totally confusing, I'd suggest going here:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

Also. check out:

http://www.mr-chompers.com/tutorial/video/beginner.zip

Hope that helps, remember, keep going! You'll get better and better!

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
No problem, keep us all posted :)

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Alright so I followed your advice (although I didn't really get it the first time I read it) And I come up with this: screenie.
Do you know any really really basic modelling tutorial that's like "your first model" or "your first sword" or something like that? :D

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Did you look at the video link I posted?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, I didn't realise it re directs. In that case, find this video on that page:

vidlink.jpg

Click and download :) (Thats what I mean'ty you to get)

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thanks once again :p

EDIT: I've noticed that in most tutorials people use a picture which they sort of insert to 3ds max. I've found out that it's called a Plane but I can't make it work. When I get to the material editor and skin it, it just gets grey (like every other thing) but aren't you supposed to see the texture on a Plane?

EDIT2: Nvm I figured it out.