msc - bank?

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry i wasnt sure where to put this, but i figured this would be a good place to post it being as it had to do with [FN] . any ways ppl want a banking system... and i wouldnt mind it so much either... couldnt thothie just script that your bank is setup with your steam id and [FN] characters.... lets say you have a folder that has the same name as your steam id that holds your players... well when u put an item in your bank it could make a folder called.... "bank" inside your steam id folder where your characters are stored... and inside the bank folder your items are placed there... i dont know if it would be possible but i think that would be a good way to do the banking system.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Then there is the threat of rampant duping :oldshock:

People would copy & backup those files, remove the banked item, replace the file, remove it again... oh shit that would become PURE HELL WITH ITEM DUPAGE!!!

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
how would they dupe it if it was stored on [FN] ? no one really has access to it except a select few... the items would be stored as a seperate file...

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
well are you suggesting that it be held on another sever? ....

Cause thats what I was thinking after what you said on your 2nd post ceriux :oldshock: ....

that means more bills to pay

But yeah, does sound decent......

I would love a banking system... rather then having storage chacrters..

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Now that does sound sexeh.... if it is stored on FN. But for LAN chars & that such; duping is unavoidable & will bring about hell... what's more is what people will do to FN if they think too hard about it... and I won't give any ideas so I am shutting up now :)

And any of you who get what I mean; don't even post your opinion, PM me it. I don't want any rampant crap giving a bunch of shitty players an opportunity to do something stupid.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I had this idea not too long ago. But instead of the bank being another "person" to hold your stuff, why not make it another heavy backpack that can hold up to 256 or 521 items in it.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
I had this idea not too long ago. But instead of the bank being another "person" to hold your stuff, why not make it another heavy backpack that can hold up to 256 or 521 items in it.

wouldnt that give the character data over flow or what ever?

but not my idea is this, thothie makes an NPC thats like a shop, but when u Give the items to him... the data for the items u gave him are stored in a folder on [FN] ... isnt thothie and fuzzy fish the only ones with actual access to the [FN] Server? ... basically it would be stored in a folder on [FN] along with your character...

and when you returned to the NPC to retrieve your items it would just load the item data loaded from that folder on [FN]

Fuzzy fish says that [FN] is already to good for the job its being used for why not make more use out of [FN] which will give players a reason to play on [FN] servers...?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Ya mean like every backpack did up until a month ago? ;) Jeeze, how quickly we forget...

but not my idea is this, thothie makes an NPC thats like a shop, but when u Give the items to him... the data for the items u gave him are stored in a folder on [FN] ... isnt thothie and fuzzy fish the only ones with actual access to the [FN] Server? ... basically it would be stored in a folder on [FN] along with your character...

and when you returned to the NPC to retrieve your items it would just load the item data loaded from that folder on [FN]

Fuzzy fish says that [FN] is already to good for the job its being used for why not make more use out of [FN] which will give players a reason to play on [FN] servers...?

Yeah, yer going into coding none of us is capable of. Crash is basically caused by the client attempting to send/receive too much data from the server and FN too quickly anyways, so you'd have the same issue.

I do have another script ended idea for banks, that may work out.

I also have a script ended idea for armor, that seems to be working out (I, probably shouldn't have said that until I test it more thoroughly).

[rant]It does piss me off that both those issues are now seeming more solvable by script than hard code though - as half the reason to go into the hard code was to solve them![/rant]

Anyways, as for the script end idea... My hope is I can setup a new banker, who will have tickets available for each item. You exchange the item for the ticket. Return ticket to bank when you want it back. Simple as pie - in or as complex as pi - depending on how the details work out.

Imediate issue I see is I *think* I can only work that through the NPC interaction menu, and it can only have so many entries.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:

Ya mean like every backpack did up until a month ago? ;) Jeeze, how quickly we forget...

Well I was thinking it wouldnt be data overflow but now I see my error.... it was early and I had just woken up

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:

Yeah, yer going into coding none of us is capable of. Crash is basically caused by the client attempting to send/receive too much data from the server and FN too quickly anyways, so you'd have the same issue.

I do have another script ended idea for banks, that may work out.

I also have a script ended idea for armor, that seems to be working out (I, probably shouldn't have said that until I test it more thoroughly).

[rant]It does piss me off that both those issues are now seeming more solvable by script than hard code though - as half the reason to go into the hard code was to solve them![/rant]

Anyways, as for the script end idea... My hope is I can setup a new banker, who will have tickets available for each item. You exchange the item for the ticket. Return ticket to bank when you want it back. Simple as pie - in or as complex as pi - depending on how the details work out.

Imediate issue I see is I *think* I can only work that through the NPC interaction menu, and it can only have so many entries.

idk i still like my idea... arnt we trying to get rid of items in our inventory... not trade them for another.... we could just put a limit on the NPC... sorta like diablo 2 does on its deposite box.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'm not trying to lessen my item count as much as I'm trying to lessen my weight.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Again, the only way we have to save info atm, is on the character. I'd like to have banks in a seperate file from characters - more so I'd like to have the world be able to save conditions seperate from characters, it's just not real viable with our current set of coders, since it invovles making a lot of stuff from scratch, and getting around the 4k limit that causes the whole issue to begin with.