Mayhaps the end of the voting system!

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Alright I've been told that changing map with the "changelevel" command doesn't crash you even though you're on FN. First I thought lies but then I tested it and guess what...no crash :D . So if the transsition worked by using the command changelevel instead of whatever it's doing now it might fix the problems :p

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think transitions are using the changelevel command. transitionning as well as entering changelevel works with a few small size chars and sometimes with only another player with the host. Many times I have changed map with 3 newcomers and didn't crash, and sometimes crash with only another high level guy. Most times I have to ask everybody to disconnect even though I use changelevel command. It's gotta have something to do with char's file size, I'm pretty sure of it. Try changing map with 2-3 high levels chars carrying lots of stuff.
I wonder... maybe it has something to do with the limit of stuff someone can carry, like when someone gets reliable channel overflow, as if every player's items on the server were cumulative and hit the limit? :idea:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You'll still crash with certain combinations of characters.

You'll never crash on your own.

Sorry, nice try. ;)

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Gold-source limitations are the suck. It's oh so very limiting and can cause a lot of problems.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Sniper (Sven-Coop lead programmer) is killing off bugs from the Gold Sorce Engine. He is briliant and if he was willing to help out... this mod could really do some cool stuff

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, and if Jesus were to personally to come down from heaven and bless this mod, that might help too. ;)

Suspect, in this instance, its' more fubarbed coding than engine limitation. I'm sure whatever it's trying to do is possible - it just ain't doing it right.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Che, Che, that's right Thothie! Ain't to the Bold before the World! Che, Che, that's right Thothie!

Sorry, I kinda got bored....
The day MSC loads properly with a full server (of like five or six) without crashing: is the day Jesus HAS come to Earth & blessed a lot of things :)

I say that, because MSC is like a treat from the Devil: it is EXTREMELY desirable yet has a pricy tag attached (aka procession power to restart server/client upon crashing) :D

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well since Thothie obviously knows his C++ maybe he could make a whole new engine :p It might be a crazy idea but think of it.... it would be cool :twisted:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You SERIOUSLY overestimate my coding ability... Most of the 'coding' I do for work is simple scripting. While that video game coding experience I have from my youth (namely with C64's, Apple II's, and TSR-80 CoCo's) has givin me the ability to trick computer languages into dancing in ways were never intended to - real coders have another word for this, as Lady X refers to it, "romantic creativity" of mine, namely: Hacking.

I have gotten so fed up with the source that I've started looking into rebuilding it from scratch though. Or rather - just porting those bits I understand into the framework of the HL SDK. I can't get this source to compile for the life of me, but the HL SDK compiles fine. It really looks like there are huge pieces missing from the MSC source, and some bits are referencing older bits that were removed, and so forth. It even seems that there were two separate directory structures used by two separate coders that I have to sort between. In short: it's a real mish-mash... And for some reason the .sbr and .obj's are all in the archive, despite the fact they do you no good, since you have to recompile the monstrosity anyways. [/rant]

Near as I can tell, the reason Jester won't tell me how he got it to compile must be because he never did and just won't admit it. I suspect he just hex edited the version change, and the precache function was already there, just not working with some of the old scripts for whatever reason.