Master-Sword?

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Why is the game named master-sword? as much of a cool name that is, I feel like there is a "Master-Sword" more popular than ours I just can't place my finger one it :roll: :mrgreen: .

Is there a master-sword?
Or is it about mastering the sword?
or is lanethan a real big fan?

how it come to be that master-sword would be this series' name?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
<- This gets asked a lot, but good luck finding the related threads...

First, I shall give you three theories, and then, I shall tell you why they are all bunk.

• Theory 1: That it is in reference to the Fated Asderal Blade, capable of harming even an Apostle. But, seeing as how a particularly determined Apostle can apparently pull this sword out of his ass at will, not a real good candidate.

• Theory 2: That the Orion developer blade from MS 1.2-1.3 is the dreaded Master Sword. (Meh.)

• Theory 3: That the sword Felewyn used to cut down Lor Malgoriand, and broke into five pieces as a result, ending the Age of Blood, is the legendary Master Sword. Which is better than most theories, but still runs into the same issue as the others, namely:

The reason why all these theories, and most of the various others, are bunk, is because Master Sword predates Lanethan's lore. Lanethan didn't show up until the game had been named that for nearly six years, breathing some life into what was otherwise basically just a coding curiosity.

So the reason? Is Tradition! So people know what game we're talking about, and so we don't have to remake all our letterheads. (Been calling it this for almost two decades now, so...)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
My theory (which might also be bunk for the reason Thothie mentioned) is that it's the so-called "Atlas blade".
Read the story "Wuldegren and Leida" on http://www.alaska.net/~radigan/MS/History.html

Edit: Nevermind. Atlas is the Asteral/Asderal (spelling?) Blade.
Same blade, different name (changed between the revisions, like a lotta stuff)... And yeah, bunk for the same reason - but not a bad try!

I am always tempted to try to stuff it into the lore - but probably wouldn't do it as an actual physical weapon... More like the some parable regarding the state of being the gods are trying to achieve in their children with the various Apostles, and thus pass on to the rest of them, or, something more symbolic, or, something... Maybe... IDK. >_>

Pathos, endgame: "You are the Master Sword!" (so deep!) :p