Letter

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Just to mention it again, I (or anyone else) could apply any letter texture to this one.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That was the concept, expecting about 100 submodels of this puppy eventually. ;) Get those riddle hints on actual paper, and world map frames, etc.

This one have that odd bug that Orochi's had where you have to reverse the texture or anything?

edit: sweet, it doesn't. Could be a lil bigger, but this is quite usable. :D

Drog sayz mapz goodz!

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Crow said:
thats a map of... :oldshock: LOL

apparently I havent been following this one very well

either that or this...
thehorrorwu1.jpg

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, so give me the textures needed and I will make subskins (I don't think that submodels are needed, only the skin changes).

AmIAnnoyingNow

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So, where are the master coders at who'll fix most/all of the bugs in MSC (especially the viewing of stats & their percentages)?
I'll be looking into C++ and half life modding after i finish my java classes, but i've discovered trying to learn 2 languages at once isn't always the best idea. So we'll see if you still need help by then, or even want it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ReBoot said:
Well, so give me the textures needed and I will make subskins (I don't think that submodels are needed, only the skin changes).

Oh, I can handle that. Modeling I can do with notepad I'm good with. ;)

Although it is true, sometimes my decompiler likes to offset the UV mapping by a few px, for some bloody reason. Dun think it'd be an issue with this particular model.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
AmIAnnoyingNow said:
but i've discovered trying to learn 2 languages at once isn't always the best idea

You're tellin' me.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, Java and C++ aren't worlds apart. Structure's a bit different, and the specific commands are different, but the syntax and layout is the same, and the overall formatting is the same. One's derived from the other (basically the simplified form of the other) so it shouldn't be so bad. Not like yer trying to learn Fotran at the same time, or somethin. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
But throw in Half-life functions, badly named variables, few comments, and very little understanding of the HL engine and you're f*cked.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Code of Chaos is another thing entirely though. ;)

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
'bout (de)compiling models. I use studiomdl and mdldec, both by Valve. They work perfectly and are controlled from Jed's HL Modelviewer.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sadly they don't work perfectly. They offset larger and odd-sized textures just a itsy bitsy bit. It adds up as you have to decompile and recompile repeatedly. It'd be easy to fix, but it doesn't seem to do it in any predictable manner.

It's almost impossible to tell though, I had to have Gaz overlay me a pair of models, before and after recompile, with an animated gif before I could see what he was talking about. But after having that demonstrated, I can see it is what lead to our commoner's having "broken noses" and causes the troll to have some extra stripes.

Recompiled <-> Original
troll_recompile.gif troll_original.gif

Recompiled <-> Repaired
difference4.gif

Some models are affected more than others. It sucks, as we don't have the source for all the models to fix them, and it requires some modeling skill to nudge them back properly.

I'm going to have to decompile the original skeleton.mdl soon to add an event. So that's going to add to the issue. I dunno if I can rig up some way to hex-edit events in without decompiling the model. Maybe with vedit or some such, hmmm..

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Idea: MilkShape3D has also a special model decompiler. I don't mean it's default one (which sucks horrible), but a plugin avaible and installed by default.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
oh oh whats it called?
(this might mean my models can use the new hands)
:D!!!

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The model just got a little bigger! Screenshot in the first post.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The model just got a little bigger! Screenshot in the first post.
model.png
Looks good... Although wouldn't it be better if the hands held the paper from the middle instead of the bottom corners? (That's some stiff parchment there) ;)

Kratisto's HL MDL decompiler.
Yeah, I'd hate to say this, but mdldec.exe is Krastio's HL MDL decompiler, and it still skews textures slightly (otherwise it's perfect though). 1.2 of 2003 is the most recent version I can find.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, updated.
Old image and model files overwritten. I thought, we can screw version control for this one ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Exxxxcelent... Now if I can just figure how to get the damn thing to let me affect viewmodel submodel settings...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Again, I can tack on submodels myself, but I'm sot sure yet, as I've not manage to affect view models thus far.