JUN2007b Bug Reports

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Does that translate to something along the lines of:
"Not only does the new reward system suck, it is also broken in almost every way one can imagine."

Yes?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Does that translate to:
"Thothie sometimes makes errors when working with the vast amounts of code that he does, but I'm going to b*tch because I got a glitch for better prizes"

Yes?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Crap, I forgot to note that this is only my opinion (and that I don't really care what you think about it).

So in other words: the new reward system sucks in my opinion, but because of some glitch I got a reward that is higher than it should be, or at least I'm quite sure I wasn't supposed to receive eight bags of gold. Ah whatever, fun glitch for sure.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
J-M that stuff got already reported, and eight bags of 25 gold isnt that much gold :?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Well, I don't mind this bug at all, but I figured I'd report it. I didn't notice somebody else already beat me to it.

See, if I hadn't reported it, I would be accused of "exploiting" because I got... what... 175 extra golden coins? Indeed, FER, eight bags with 25 golden coins each isn't alot, but while I am (probably) only supposed to get one, this little bug gave me eight times as much money. And you know how some people are; 175 extra golden coins is "MAJOR SPLOITZ".

Indeed, if I hadn't reported this bug and people discovered me having accidentally used it once, certain individuals would be like "LOL J-M ARE EXPLOIT" right now.

J-M v2.5.5 said:
"Not only does the new reward system suck, it is also broken in almost every way one can imagine."
Opinion, additional reasoning.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Specifying on a known bug, orion bow isn't giving exp and I suppose it goes along with the difficulty of making player effects deal out proper exp.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I just soloed the forgotten outpost, and when I killed Graznux, he
- Left behind eight bags of 25 golden coins each... I thought I was supposed to get less gold when playing alone?

8 bags of 25 is the minimum for Graznux. I wasn't so cruel as to make it 1 bag per player. ;)

Code:
 	if ( WARBOSS_VALID_MAP ) callevent bm_gold_spew 25 2 64 8 24 //<gold_per_bag> <bags_pplayer> <radius_from_mon> <min_bags> <max_bags>
	if ( !WARBOSS_VALID_MAP ) callevent bm_gold_spew 10 3 4 4 16

Incidentally, the minimum for his generic variant changes to 4 bags @ 10gp ea.

- Dropped his head twice ( )
On the list. Not related to the reward system but rather my reducing some base_monster includes through consolidation, and forgetting to remove a duplicate. (ie. result of efforts to fix Olympics bug)

Specifying on a known bug, orion bow isn't giving exp and I suppose it goes along with the difficulty of making player effects deal out proper exp.
The problem on the Orion Bow is twofold: 1) Archery XP passes differently from other XP's - you'll notice, even with standard arrows, it doesn't go up as often as it should, then suddenly goes up a whole lot at once. 2) The Orion Bow only seems to give XP if it strikes more than 1 monster (in which case, it does at least do so proportionately). Trick to pulling that off is not to hit monsters directly, but at angles, ie. skim them, so the "bubble" doesn't "pop". It still, however, has the same XP issues as any other archery weapon.

That damned Orion bow isn't anything like I originally intended, sadly.

Molecular

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Uh ok let's see then.
First off I'd like to start with the ice shield thing. It's probably not a bug, but sometimes when you're in a really cramped situation and your ice shield breaks it's really annoying when you keep getting: "failed to shield target - The mana returns". I've noticed that if you get two of these "failed to shield target - the mana returns" messages after trying to cast ice shield once, the next cast will seem to be successfull, although it will cost no mana.
Looking down into the ground while casting seems to fix it though, but you're still gonna have to cast twice, usually.

Furthermore, The Novablade doesn't seem to want to be stored in a bank? Weighs quite a bit so it can be handy to get out of the way sometimes. Let's see, what else.

Oh, yeah. The rejuvenation scroll seems to be slightly bugged. First of all, when using rejuvenation scroll, as opposed to its counter Tome, you do not regenerate by just having the spell prepared. Also, it seems to heal for less (May not count the extra lvls?).

After this there are countless of spelling errors in the game that would be awesome if were obliterated, but most of them are in the maps so I guess that's not your fault.

[[PanDa]]

New Adventurer
Reaction score
[quote="Y0SHiB0Y
After an enemy is killed, the log shows that the enemy was slain, but displays no experience gained. Checking after a few kills, it seemed no hidden experience was gained.

[/quote]

It happens the same to me but whit a GiB (No shield). When i do the freeze atack on a enemy i dont recieve exp from him, but whit single atack it does, is a bug?

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Molecular said:
There are countless of spelling errors in the game that would be awesome if were obliterated, but most of them are in the maps so I guess that's not your fault.

If they are item/NPC-related, do report them and I will take care of it ASAP.

It's a pity dual wield doesn't work properly. I love the way wielding a finely crafted knife and an elven blade looks, and I love to attack with the sword, then the dagger.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but voldar rangers dont drops deadly envenomed arrows, instead they drop jagged arrows

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Heh. Sounds like Thothie commited the almighty sin of copy+paste

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
First off I'd like to start with the ice shield thing. It's probably not a bug, but sometimes when you're in a really cramped situation and your ice shield breaks it's really annoying when you keep getting: "failed to shield target - The mana returns". I've noticed that if you get two of these "failed to shield target - the mana returns" messages after trying to cast ice shield once, the next cast will seem to be successfull, although it will cost no mana.
Looking down into the ground while casting seems to fix it though, but you're still gonna have to cast twice, usually.
This is a known ice shield bug, and a mitigation for it. It generally happens when you are near a sky brush. It used to be it would take your mana, and not give it back.

Furthermore, The Novablade doesn't seem to want to be stored in a bank? Weighs quite a bit so it can be handy to get out of the way sometimes. Let's see, what else.
Some of the newer items are not storable yet. Got a little proggie to help me make tickets faster though.

Oh, yeah. The rejuvenation scroll seems to be slightly bugged. First of all, when using rejuvenation scroll, as opposed to its counter Tome, you do not regenerate by just having the spell prepared. Also, it seems to heal for less (May not count the extra lvls?).
Hmmm... I'll play with it. It doesn't seem possible for it to be healing less though. Scroll gives you the same spell as the tome does.

After this there are countless of spelling errors in the game that would be awesome if were obliterated, but most of them are in the maps so I guess that's not your fault.
There be one or two that I can't actually find the text for (embedded somewhere in the hard code).

It happens the same to me but whit a GiB (No shield). When i do the freeze atack on a enemy i dont recieve exp from him, but whit single atack it does, is a bug?
Most likely you are getting the XP but it is bypassing the report to ensure the creatures death animation goes off, and he doesn't just get stuck standing there. But I shall examine this too.

Maybe its just me but voldar rangers dont drops deadly envenomed arrows, instead they drop jagged arrows
Meh, I see why, fixed. S&R related bug.

Molecular

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok so I've tested and the rejuvenation doesn't actually heal more in tome form. It just seems like that since with the scroll you're missing the extra heal over time.

I've found another weird occurance though. Now this might just be me n00bing up, but it seems that every now and then, those skeleton mobs before the icequeen in ms_snow throw a hissyfit.

I was fighting one, and with roughly 300 hp left, I just died. Checking the combat log it seems the mob had hit me like 20 times in a split second. I didn't think much of it until it happened AGAIN.

I might just be n00bing it up though as I presume all skeletons follow practicaly the same code, and this could be some sort of special attack, but I just thought i'd let ya know, just in case.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I was fighting the ice skeles before the queen I had 400 hp and then all of a sudden I died. I figured it was some lame worldspawn death like when the queen or flesheater falls over.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
A shotgun one may have snuck up behind you

Molecular

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
A shotgun one may have snuck up behind you

Rofl.

And on to something completely different:
Mind if I ask how experience is calculated, Thothie?
On my quest to slay all the orcs in mscave, I noticed how on some of them I was getting much more experience on others. After doing some research on this, I found that mobs who parry a lot of my hits yield MORE experience than those who don't.

This has lead me to believe that this xp system is somewhat based on the other. It's the amount of damage that counts (or as it previously were, hits) so I'm guessing there's some calculation of hits*damage and parry rolls are counted as normal hits.
Just a wild guess though.

Anywho this isn't really a bug, I kind of like this. It's a bit untraditional, and to be quite fair, if you're fighting someone in real life, you learn a lot more from them parrying then from you stabbing their face.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I wasn't joking. Those skeleton mages fire off, what I consider to be, a shotgun blast of frost-bolts :|

Each monster has an assigned exp value, but one of the crazy things about the exp system is that if you hit them more, you get more exp. We're not entirely sure why, SFAIK.

Molecular

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well the old xp system, as far as I can remember, was completely based on hits. I remember you could kite one of the rats in edana down to that healthpool place, put on a low dmg weapon, type +attack in console and come back 2 hours later.

So it seems logical that you might still get more xp from hitting some monsters more often.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
From what I can tell, they just have a set amount of experience, and it just varies around that.

It does feel as if a battle last longer, they give more experience, but it could be all random.

There are two ways of implementing experience points on a monster - one which seems constant (like the rat's 3 points), and the more variable ones (like on the skeletons).

It seems that using the constant one will always yield the same amount of experience. Some bosses gives me 100 experience every time, for example.

Molecular

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The xp might be constant, but we all know that if two players deal the same amount of damage to a mob, they both get half xp.

There's really no denying that it's this exact calculation this problem is arising from. The game needs to count how much damage you did of the mobs total hp to determine how much xp you should get in comparison to other members who have dealt damage to said mob.

So I'm standing by my theory of parriy's counting as hits, and thus your xp modifier is greater than 1 when the mob dies.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Supposed to be that each strike against the monster is counted, and each player gets total XP in proportion with the damage they did, when the monster dies.

I suspect the problem is, that the damage done by each strike is stored BEFORE the damage is adjusted, by vulnerabilities, resistances, parry, and the like. Thus, yes, more strikes = a greater portion of the XP, thus you get more xp killing ice resistant creatures with ice weapons, etc..

I'm not sure if I can fix that, as the section where the XP is stored, seems to be unable to access the damage multipliers. I've tried moving it around a few times, but to no avail.

What I do NOT understand, but I suspect is related, is how you can sometimes get more XP than the total of the monster's designated value. I've stuck more than one bit of code in to prevent this, but I suspect it maybe that XP is being calculated in more than one location.

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Dropping a summon undead scroll crashes the server.

On nightmare_thornlands I spawned before my friend (I was listenserver host) and dropped him a wooden long bow. When he spawned I was invisible as was the longbow.