Impliment Lua into MS:S?

NateTehGreatt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Have you guys considered implementing Lua into the future MS? It's a pretty awesome coding language. If you've ever written a Lua script for Garry's Mod (or have ever played Garry's Mod, for that matter) you'd know the awesomeness of it.

I think it would make MS:S very flexible customization-wise for the coders. I don't know the code that well, but with what its done to Garry's Mod I think it could help make MS:S a great success.

Just a thought,

~Nate

NateTehGreatt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I will use the search feature before posting most-likely-already-posted questions.
I will use the search feature before posting most-likely-already-posted questions.

And he put it a lot better than I did.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
You wouldn't have found it with the search engine ;-)

The search engine is crappy. I'm fairly certain what happens is that it can't find posts from before we switched to the new forum format.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I still wish they'd use LUA. Open source plus all the people willing to code for it.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Again, open source is not (much of) an issue for sandbox mods, but in MS:S... It'll be chaos in that there will be (potentially) too many people working on it, and thus I can imagine the code will have to basically be re-written for proper syntax and uniformity...

Plus the whole make your own weapons idea. ;)

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I don't understand peoples' obsession with Lua. They go and play GMod and think they Lua will make every game asome just by using it. I don't think people understand what is going on behind the scripts and how it works with the other code.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Drigien said:
I don't understand peoples' obsession with Lua. They go and play GMod and think they Lua will make every game asome just by using it. I don't think people understand what is going on behind the scripts and how it works with the other code.

Agreed. Lua is the buzzword of HL2.

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Drigien said:

Drigien - aug 07 said:
From what i have heard, its not that difficult to implement into source, and would have to agree to use lua as the scripting language for MS:S.

I'm confused. Just pointing that out, I have no real knowledge of coding.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Durak said:
I'm confused. Just pointing that out, I have no real knowledge of coding.

Well, first off,
From what i have heard, its not that difficult to implement into source
is from almost a year ago. Still from what I read on the forums, its not that "hard", but that doesn't mean its easy. It is not a cakewalk to implement, it will take time to do it properly. I think that alot of people believe all you have to do is just install it, and it will magically work just like GMod. Well no, that is not how things work. You are going to have to spend a fair amount of time hook things up in the code if you want it to be like GMod. But that brings up the other argument, why do we want it to be like GMod? We certainly don't want people to make their own godly items and other exploits that would surely follow by having Lua implemented.

Second, my opinion of Lua as scripting language hasn't changed, it looks like a good choice over other scripting languages. By
would have to agree to use lua as the scripting language for MS:S
, I meant that if they were to use an 'external' scripting language, Lua would probably be better then the other options.

Third, by
I don't understand peoples' obsession with Lua..
, I mean just that. Lately I've seen a increase in people that just think having Lua will a) make it easier to make their mod, and b) that it will make their mod asome.

Fourth, Why does MS:S need a scripting language at all? Sure it should probably use scripts, but with the functions in HL2 it will provide plenty of functionality for parsing them.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Scripting languages have their ups and downs... When working on an MMORPG I don't see much in the way of avoiding them though.

MS:C has a very robust scripting environment that can really do just about anything. Downside is, you have to teach people the ins and outs of scripting, and the various bugs/limitations there of. At some point, your script language gets so elaborate that it is actually easier to find coders than scripters – MS:C has reached this point, and gone several leaps and bounds beyond. None of my coders want to touch the scripts, so it seems! If I don’t find a way to allow mappers to write their own scripts, this mod is in real trouble, because I can’t keep up on my own.

This is where something like LUA would be useful – as people would have picked up this script language working on other mods, plus you have the advantage of direct implementation by mappers, who may have learned LUA mapping for other mods. You’d have to restrict access to certain functions so people didn’t make super-weapons or whatnot, but given some of the nature of some of mods that do use LUA, that can’t be that hard.

Rather than direct porting LUA, I’d suggest, since you are at some point going to have to make a scripting language, making one that mimics LUA, and can be placed directly onto map entities in a similar fashion – that way you are less apt to have to teach developers new techniques.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'd be more than happy to do some scripts, if someone were to teach me how to do so. :D