I don't know anything about servers/computers. Help, please!

The Buttery Lobster

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok. First off, if you have a low tolerance of noobishness, don't bother reading any further, because I am all ABOUT noob. Not all of us are computer leet or whatever it is you kids are calling it nowadays.

Still with me? Cool. This mod is great, but more players is always better, and it wont help if you scare em off with angry dissmissive posts about how dumb they are. Sorry if I came off as defensive, there. I'm computer illiterate, and know nothing about hosting games. I read the fuznet faq, and it says something about listening, and cfgs, and technical mumbo jumbo that I know nothing about. I don't want to wait around for thirty freaking minutes waiting to download custom songs or custom maps that I can't go to because my char is too low, so I can't always go to blasto's server or net 733t's server or whatever. Ergo, I would like to host my own server using the central fuznet players. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about accessing fuznet. I downloaded the msc central thingy, and, like I said, read the faq. I have no idea where to type in that stuff about enabling whateveritis wherever it is.

Anyone wanna help me out?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Okay, I will try my best to make some steps & a decent walkthrough for you:
A question first... do you want to host a server using Create Server in-game, or a dedicated server that you can leave running without actually taking up a player spot? Please note, however, that some people can not join their dedicated server should they host it & play the game on the same computer; I, happily, don't have the problem.

IF LISTENSERVER (Server Made After Launching MSC) ---
1) Go to the folder MSC is installed in.
(I.E.- C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\ACCOUNTNAME\Half-Life\MSC)
2) Inside of your MSC folder, you will see a file called listenserver.cfg
3) Open that file using wordpad, your normal .cfg file reader, or notepad.
(microsoft word is okay too)
4) Set it up to your liking; here's an example setup.
hostname "SERVERNAME"
maxplayers 6
sv_lan 0
log on

// Disables developer console (where errors pop up)
developer 0

// Resets server to Edana should the server be empty for 45+ minutes
ms_timelimit 45

// Microphone quality settings
sv_voiceenable 1
sv_voicequality 5

// Player allowance with microphones
sv_alltalk 1
sv_spectalk 1

// player bounding boxes (collisions, not clipping)
sv_clienttrace 3.5

// disable clients' ability to pause the server
pausable 0

// maximum client movement speed
sv_maxspeed 600

//ms_ip 192.168.0.52

ms_pklevel 0
ms_serverchar 3

//
// MS Central Settings
//
ms_central_enabled 1
ms_central_addr "cboat.mine.nu"
ms_central_pass "testing"
5) The MS Central Settings at the bottom is what you really want to host. If you .cfg is any different than mine, ignore it; it doesn't really matter. Just make sure that ms_central_enabled is 1, ms_central_addr is "cboat.mine.nu" , and finally, that ms_central_pass is "testing"

IF DEDICATED SERVER ---
(A Standalone Version which only needs MSC & itself to run, steam not required)

1) Download the HLDS Updater Tool from:
http://www.thothie.com/ms/hldsupdatetool.zip
2) Make a folder in your main drive, call it HLDS, and put this file in there
(I.E.- C:\HLDS)
3) Go to Start->Run (or press Windows+R, if you have Windows)
Type: C:\HLDS\HldsUpdateTool -dir "." -command update -verify all -game valve
4) Make sure to edit the start->run commands in accordance to which drive your folder is in, and what you named it.
5) While it is updating the folder (the one file will auto download, once you enter step-3's command, all needed files; there are many), you may opt to download Thothie's server restarter from http://www.thothie.com/ms
6) Once all of that is done, copy/paste MSC folder into open HLDS folder.
7) Revert back to the LISTENSERVER tutorial, but instead open up server.cfg (NOT LISTENSERVER.CFG FOR THIS ONE) and edit accordingly.

Credits for my being capable of making this tutorial go out to Thothie, for it was from his thread on making an HLDS server that I made the second half of this guide here, and for the listenserver setup... that came from trial & error, along with an able (and awesome) central server host (Thanks SirFish)
http://www.msremake.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1824&highlight=hlds
8) 8) 8)

The Buttery Lobster

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thank you VERY much. Now I can play when you leet mothertruckers are off in god knows where pwning those lich bitches.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hey! We don't all go around pwnin liches... some of us bludgeon axis or allies to death using fist or shovel in Day of Defeat: Source :D

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Net, I dont think you can go 2 posts with out saying bludgeon

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Oh yea!? My last four post didn't have that word which I dare not say in them! So guess what; now I have to bashbludgeonbludgeonbdlugeonyou in the head so you can't have your prerogative in proving me wrong!! :oldlol:

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
... ok .. ?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You play as bludgeons in dod: s?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
DR DUR DURRR!!!!! Who doesn't play as a freakish cow-demon on DoD:S! Besides, I think cow-calves make me s3x3h in DoD:S 8)