Help for the newbies! FAQ

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Okay so I got kinda bored at work and decieded to type this out to help anyone that is interested in playing MS 1.3, or hosting a game.

If anyone has some additional information PM or e-mail me with it.

Hope this helps. :^)

---------------------------------------------

MasterSword v1.3 unofficial FAQ v0.1b

---------------------------------------------

As we all know MasterSword 1.3 is quite buggy, but it can also be quite fun too once you figue out the bugs. And it can also be determined that you may be somewhat intelligent seeing as you clicked here, before starting a thread. So hopefully in an effort of sheer bordom/educated guesses, this can help someone get around the many bugs of MasterSword until 1.4 is released. And maybe help rally a bit of support for this game again. If you have any helpful information about a bug I didn't note, or a solution to a bug send an e-mail to: [email protected]

NOTE: THIS CONTAINS NO SPOILERS, OR INFORMATION PERTAINING TO BEATING THE GAME. THIS IS A TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE ONLY!

As like most documents, only YOU are responsible if your computer doesn't work, physical injury, mental torture, heartattack, accidental beheading, starvation, frusteration, loss of limbs, explosions, dog bites, pencil wounds to the eye, head injury, lack of friends, loss of social life, and anything else that could possibly happen in life. ENJOY ;^)

Table of contents

1.1 - Using a listenserver

1.2 - Using a dedicated server

-----

2.1 - Crashing/Freezing

2.2 - Inventory

2.3 - Loss of character data

2.4 - Other bugs

-----

3.0 Saving your a... butt

-----

4.0 Frequently asked questions

------------------------------------------------------------

Section 1.1 - How do I setup a listenserver in steam

BEFORE YOU EVEN TRY THIS!

Make sure ports 2200, 2400, 47624 are open for MS

And ports 27005 through 27025 are open for HL (or HLDS whichever you use)

If you want to setup a server well there are a few things you need to do. No it's not as easy as "Establish a Kingdom" and going from there. There are a few things that need to be done. And it can be done several ways:

-using the console

-using a shortcut

-using listenserver.cfg

So lets start by setting a server up via the console. So go ahead and load up mastersword and do the following:

1. Open the console by hitting the ~ key

2. Type the command sv_lan 0

3. Then type sv_region -1 (Might already be set)

4. Then type ms_ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Substitute your IP for the x'es)

5. Close your console again by hittting ~

6. Go forth and create your kingdom.

So what is this shortcut business you speak of? Well you know how you have icons on your desktop, we will go through and make one. Fancy is it not, awe your friends, show your family, YOU COULD MAKE MILL..ions...or at least a penny from an old lady that think AOL runs the computer, and broke the cupholder off of the computer.

1. Open up steam

2. Click the games button

3. Look the the MasterSword shortcut in the list (Which will be listed if it was installed correctly)

4. Right-click the MasterSword icon

5. Select "create desktop shortcut"

So now you should have a MasterSword shortcut, stare in awe at it for a bit then do this.

1. Close your steam windows

2. Right-click your MS icon

3. Select properties

4. Under target after the quotes put the following:

+sv_lan 0 +ms_ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx +sv_region -1

5. Hit Apply, then OK

6. Double click the icon

Okay, and now for the last method listenserver.cfg, but with some basic instructions only not step-by-step. This way anytime you host it will always be the same, and requires only a map change, or .

1. Open up your MS directory in your steam folder (usually "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\[email protected]\half-life\ms")

2. Double-click on listenserver.cfg

3. Open it with notepad

4. Add the following lines to the end:

ms_ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (again your real IP address there)

sv_region -1

sv_lan 0

5. Save and exit notepad, and close any other windows

Section 1.2 - How do I setup a Dedicated Server in steam

For now don't bother it crashes too often to keep up, but there might be a possible solution in the very near future. ;^)

2.1 - Crashing/Freezing

This is a part of life in MasterSword and there are many points in which it can crash, and it's the reason we have no dedicated servers out there. This sections just covers the error, and how to deal with them.

What is it: Crash upon level change (will have after 2 changes, 3 if you are lucky)

When does it happen: Well... when there is a level change maybe. :^P

What can be done about it: No way around it, just restart the game in the level you were headed towards or edana. Or simply put, deal with it.

What is it: Certain items crashing the game.

When does it happen: Sometimes an item you find will can crash the game when you have it, use it pick it up store it. Damaged items can cause a loss of character data!!!

What can be done about it: Throw the item away, and warn others not to pick it up. Just like real life your problems will go away! :^P

What is it: The game freezes when loading

When does it happen: Usually towards the end of precaching, and usually the first map load.

What can be done about it: Just wait a few minutes it should finish on its own. Should take no more the 1 to 3 minutes. (depending on the computer)

What is it: The game freezes for a bit when music is playing

When does it happen: Happens when the music starts playing can be annoying if you are hosting to everyone else.

What can be done about it: Turn the music off by typing 'ms_music 0' into the console.

2.2 - Inventory

What is it: That @##$@%^ merchant took my gold and did not give me my item!!! D^:<

When does it happen: When purchased items are put into a pack automatically, the information isn't updated.

What can be done about it: Remove the pack, throw it on the ground, pick it back up and requip it. WARNING: IF YOU CHANGE LEVELS/CRASH/EXIT BEFORE YOU DO THIS THE ITEM, AND ANY GOLD SPENT WILL BE LOST!

2.3 - Loss of character data

What is it: It is the complete loss of all items, stats, and skills.

When does it happen: Corrupt items, map changes, randomly, if you try hacking your character, cheating, faulty coding. (Supposedly your torch burning out is an indicator)

What can be done about it: I can not stress this enough BACK YOUR CHARACTER DATA UP!!!

2.4 - Other bugs

What is it: Supposedly there is a bug with the shield if anyone knows e-mail me.

When does it happen: ?

What can be done about it: ?

3.0 Saving your a... butt

back·up (bak-up) - 1. A reserve or substitute. 2. A copy of a program or file that is stored separately from the original.

Backuping your character up, why would you do this computer are reliable nowadays. But that is not the case with MasterSword. So saving your data is a must, but how do I do that?

Well if you go to your MS directory (usually "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\[email protected]\half-life\ms") you'll see several files there. Look for files labeled:

save1.char, save2.char, save3.char - For the respective save slots 1 2 or 3.

Found the yet, good. So now do the following.

1. Make a new folder called backup.

2. Copy save1.char, save2.char, save3.char into the folder

3. Repeat step 2 before taking on a boss monster, changing level, or doing anything of importance.

4. If you wish to be more cautious, rename them so you have extra backups incase you make a damaged backup just do it less often. (STRONGLY RECOMMENDED)

Nothing is worse, and more discouraging than losing a charact you spent weeks working on. So DO THIS OFTEN. You'll thank me later.

4.1 - Questions asked all too often

This section will cover general server issues, and questions. And will need a lot more work so don't worry about it too much most issues are covered above.

Q: Everytime I try to use MS in steam it crashes/melts/explodes/errors/won't work in general!!

A: Download the steam patch (http://msremake.fragism.com/download.php)

Q: People do not see my game listed when I host a game!

A: If you are using a router, or a firewall make sure ports 27005 to 27025 are open.

Q: When people join they whine about seeing a black screen!

A: Make sure you have the following ports open for MS 2200, 2400, 47624, and ms_ip is set to your IP. If you are not sure what it is or don't know how to visit (http://whatismyip.com)

ex. MS_IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Q: Everytime I start a game the server name resets to <insert name here>

A: Check your listenserver.cfg if it has a line that says 'hostname', and change it to what you want it to say. (ex. hostname "The Castleboat - Member of TEDE")

Q: I lost my items, and I didn't back up my character like you said to! HELP ME!!!

S: Once it's gone, it's gone reality bites.

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
The shield bug is that nne of the shields work, they are meerly decoration now, absolutely useless.

Another bug is that sometimes the game thinks your hands are full when they look empty. Others will see the items in your hands, but you wont. What you do is try to pull out the item that the others see in your hands then drop it, and if you cant see the items in your sack, drop the sack, pick it up, pull out the item, drop the item. If you change levels or quit with this bug, the item will be lost! You will appear with real empty hands, and you WILL lose those items.

Also make sure that the item you get from a chest or merchant is in your sack, if you pick it up, and it isnt there, just do as above, drop the sack and pick it up. Add the warning to your faq that if they change levels/quit/restart/ect.. those items will be lost, and you really will have wasted gold.

Yohivan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Dropping your sac

Hi, i'm a newb...

That out in the open, i got the game to work with minor bugs (like music files unfound? w/e, i'll just play with the radio on), but i have one major problem that i hope can be easily remedied and attributed to inexperience. when i drop the sac i came equipped with, i can't get it out of my hand and back into my "inventory slots 1-3". the same problem occcurs when i buy another sac or backpack...i just don't know how to "wear it". maybe backpacks are just to complicated for me ;) but any tips would be welcome

hopefuly more newbs join daily >:] the more questions you see like this, the more evidence of progress you have!

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I believe the default key for equiping it Q. If that doesn't work, go into your console and type bind q "use". Then you should be all set.

Yohivan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks, worked wonderfully! I appreciate the help

timmy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
you have to bind a key to use or type use in console, like

bind (key) use

^^ (key)=abcdefghijklomnopqrstuvwxyz

in console

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Timmy said:
you have to bind a key to use or type use in console, like

bind (key) use

^^ (key)=abcdefghijklomnopqrstuvwxyz

in console
to fix all the problems in ms type this in console:

bind MOUSE1 exit THIS IS A JOKE DO NOT DO THIS! INSTEAD DO THIS

bind MOUSE1 cdeject and bind esc cdclose THIS IS ANOTHER JOKE

:D

Have a great day!

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

bind MOUSE1 exit

You really want to be an ass, you try so hard to be one don't you?

I don't think anyone is that dumb. If someone is asking for help, then help them, don't try to mess them up. Use your brain. :oldangry:

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
HomestarR said:

bind MOUSE1 exit

I don't think anyone is that dumb. If someone is asking for help, then help them, don't try to mess them up. Use your brain. :oldangry:
lol u took it wrong the moral of that was its so buggy its better off and exit.besides noone is dumb enough to fall for that. I changed it for you. u need to lighten up homestar were supposed to be friends. :wink:

Noclip

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rhodeder said:
HomestarR said:

bind MOUSE1 exit

lol u took it wrong the moral of that was its so buggy its better off and exit.besides noone is dumb enough to fall for that. I changed it for you. u need to lighten up homestar were supposed to be friends. :wink:

OMG I thought u where serious... Now u tell me :/

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Noclip said:
Rhodeder said:
HomestarR said:

bind MOUSE1 exit

OMG I thought u where serious... Now u tell me :/
haha stop jking if you did just type bind MOUSE1 attack1 and its fixed

Yuri

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rhodeder said:
HomestarR said:

bind MOUSE1 exit

hey thanks for advice, but my game keeps on exiting...