Free Modders Recourse - human male base.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If it's something we need, I'll take whatever we can get. If someone provides something better, I'll of course, replace it with that. But we ain't got a team large nor prolific enough to be picky, and I ain't holding up the game to wait for someone to create something we need to continue with it, if there be a crappy placeholder on hand. (Hence, WoW/Morrowind elves - ya had three years FFS. ><)

However, we don't need any of this stuff... In the case of Ceriux's ego-stroking crap, we can't even *use* any of this stuff. At least Little-G knows enough about the interior working of models to make stuff that we *could* use, without claiming to be the greatest modeler of all time - it's just his quality control meter is so broken (coupled with certain fetishes) he keeps submitting stuff we wouldn't *want* to use... And then getting pissy as hell when he can't comprehend why... Which I suppose is still better than getting pissy as hell when you can't understand how models work, and still have the gall to compare yourself to Gaz.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
If it's something we need, I'll take whatever we can get. If someone provides something better, I'll of course, replace it with that. But we ain't got a team large nor prolific enough to be picky, and I ain't holding up the game to wait for someone to create something we need to continue with it, if there be a crappy placeholder on hand. (Hence, WoW/Morrowind elves - ya had three years FFS. ><)

However, we don't need any of this stuff... In the case of Ceriux's ego-stroking crap, we can't even *use* any of this stuff. At least Little-G knows enough about the interior working of models to make stuff that we *could* use, without claiming to be the greatest modeler of all time - it's just his quality control meter is so broken (coupled with certain fetishes) he keeps submitting stuff we wouldn't *want* to use... And then getting pissy as hell when he can't comprehend why... Which I suppose is still better than getting pissy as hell when you can't understand how models work, and still have the gall to compare yourself to Gaz.

I never compared myself to Gaz I used Gaz as an example of how long real modelling would take.
You people need to read my posts.

As for my commoner model it was a WIP, I COULD have worked on the mesh more.
The problem here is communication, for some reason I doubt you even opened the model in modelviewer and simply assumed stuff.

For instance, the commoner model fixed bugs on the original faces, added many new heads, (one of the heads was meant as an easteregg similar to the original Demon Bludgeon, hence not a public head) a staff, and 2 new bodies.
The mesh on the new bodies was a little wonky yes but I could have worked on improving that.

Instead I get an immediate rejection without any attached reason "Not going to happen."
And a lot of flaming from other members of the community. And even if it maybe took me a little longer than it would take other people I put effort into it, and nobody likes being dissed like shit when you put effort into something.

Please tell how you could NOT use that stuff. Afaik there are plenty mages around without any proper mage model who are using the commoner model. Those mages would look better with a staff and a robe and it would be a matter of changing bodygroups so it uses one of the new robed bodies.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Little-G said:
I never compared myself to Gaz I used Gaz as an example of how long real modelling would take.
I wasn't speaking of you. ;) I was actually giving you some credit for being the one who didn't do that.

Little-G said:
The problem here is communication, for some reason I doubt you even opened the model in modelviewer and simply assumed stuff.
[...]
Please tell how you could NOT use that stuff.

No no... Opened her up, decompiled her, even looked inside some of the SMD's to see if the bones would work right. It's just fugly as hell kid, ya gotta learn to accept that. I dunno how many different ways we can explain this to ya before you'll admit we already explained this to ya.

Plus we don't *need* a magical commoner - priests cover that, and fugly as they are, they look better than these. If we did, however, I think ya'd be better off working with an existing robed model and skeleton, where the neck blends in nicely, and the skin doesn't twist up, so the heads don't look so jaggedly out of place. Plus, being color blind, you really are going to have to get someone else to skin for ya, but I already offered to volunteer for that.

Head #11 looks pretty good though, and an extra commoner head wouldn't hurt- and the staff can be used elsewhere. But I never did get sources for those from ya - and when I asked for them, ya sent just about everything but.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Little-G said:
I wasn't speaking of you. ;) I was actually giving you some credit for being the one who didn't do that.

Little-G said:
[...]
Please tell how you could NOT use that stuff.

No no... Opened her up, decompiled her, even looked inside some of the SMD's to see if the bones would work right. It's just fugly as hell kid, ya gotta learn to accept that. I dunno how many different ways we can explain this to ya before you'll admit we already explained this to ya.

Plus we don't *need* a magical commoner - priests cover that, and fugly as they are, they look better than these. If we did, however, I think ya'd be better off working with an existing robed model and skeleton, where the neck blends in nicely, and the skin doesn't twist up, so the heads don't look so jaggedly out of place. Plus, being color blind, you really are going to have to get someone else to skin for ya, but I already offered to volunteer for that.

Head #11 looks pretty good though, and an extra commoner head wouldn't hurt- and the staff can be used elsewhere. But I never did get sources for those from ya - and when I asked for them, ya sent just about everything but.

I still have high hopes for that mesh I made though, but yes it could use some improvement.
I was thinking of disassembling the priest robe instead since its a non hooded robe and should work better.
And magical commoner can still be very useful as long as they are not used as commoners. Priests are not mages.
pc046-cartoon-priest-clipart.jpg

Wizard_b.jpg

See? not the same.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
And wizards aren't Santa Claus - yet with a simple reskin... ;)

Suffice to say I would reskin the priests, if we needed wizard commoners, before I'd used that model.

...or maybe import more stuff from Wizard Wars.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well I was not the one who added a santa hat ;)
I believe a commoner port would work better due to the variety of heads and the support for a staff.
Plus if we consolidate models we avoid the model limit.

EDIT: After taking a look at the balancepriest...I think I will just work on fixing the keledros mesh. The legs of the balancepriest looks hideous.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Keledros has been scaled funny, so you might be better off working with the original Wizard Wars models than that one, but those heads aren't going to work very well with them either way.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
A head is a head.. A wizard can be a balding guy too...As long as you do not use the cigar head.
And can you send me the original model?
As for the scaling I did scale him down so the heads fitted perfectly on the body.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
A head is a head.. A wizard can be a balding guy too...As long as you do not use the cigar head.
[...]
As for the scaling I did scale him down so the heads fitted perfectly on the body.

I think these two bits are key to where ye be failing, outside of color blindness. The head has to blend into the model proper, so you can't just use any head on any model, and as a result of your efforts, the head/body scaling is quite a bit off, adding to the jarring "this does not belong" effect.

Gurluas said:
'twere originally a different bone set:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/ww_wizards.rar
More abandonware for you to druel over... ;)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Gurluas said:
[...]

I think these two bits are key to where ye be failing, outside of color blindness. The head has to blend into the model proper, so you can't just use any head on any model, and as a result of your efforts, the head/body scaling is quite a bit off, adding to the jarring "this does not belong" effect.

Gurluas said:
'twere originally a different bone set:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/ww_wizards.rar
More abandonware for you to druel over... ;)

I can modify the scaling if needed but I need to know exactly the ratio it needs to be to look natural.

EDIT: Excellent, there are models without hoods, I can cook up something much better with those.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's no fixed ratio. You're talking two different models made years apart by two different artists, which is why it is very difficult to make them look appropriate together. You're better off reskinning an existing head on an existing model, rather than trying to port the commoner heads physically to a new model. They already suffer quite a bit from being ported over from other models themselves, even with a body made with that in mind.

This is also a lot of effort for something we're never likely to use, even if you manage to make it look good, but I know you're not interested on working on anything we actually need, at the moment.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
There's no fixed ratio. You're talking two different models made years apart by two different artists, which is why it is very difficult to make them look appropriate together. You're better off reskinning an existing head on an existing model, rather than trying to port the commoner heads physically to a new model. They already suffer quite a bit from being ported over from other models themselves, even with a body made with that in mind.

I have an idea, I can port the heads made for that model to the commoner model.
That way all the animations are included, plus all the mage appearances
I am even considering doing the same with the guards since they have the same skeleton and animation.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
In my personal opinion, it is up to the respective project leaders whether something makes it in to the game or not. Maybe your model, map, or lore doesn't fit in with the existing content, maybe it doesn't fit with the vision the developers have, or maybe they just don't want it. Just because someone makes a piece of content does not entitle them to the right, privilege, or ability to force it in. Thothie or MiB are perfectly within their bounds to say "No", and don't need to give a reason why.

Granted, MS:C has had a relatively open-door policy regarding content because of the lack thereof in past years. Quit trying to take advantage of that now, and flip out when your model, map, or otherwise isn't accepted.

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
thesupersoup said:
In my personal opinion, it is up to the respective project leaders whether something makes it in to the game or not. Maybe your model, map, or lore doesn't fit in with the existing content, maybe it doesn't fit with the vision the developers have, or maybe they just don't want it. Just because someone makes a piece of content does not entitle them to the right, privilege, or ability to force it in. Thothie or MiB are perfectly within their bounds to say "No", and don't need to give a reason why.

Granted, MS:C has had a relatively open-door policy regarding content because of the lack thereof in past years. Quit trying to take advantage of that now, and flip out when your model, map, or otherwise isn't accepted.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Looking at the game, you may find this very hard to believe, but we've rejected a lot of content over the years. ;) I've also got about a 1GB folder of stuff made for MSC that we'll likely never use.

I do like the "community built mod" concept, but even MSC's gotta have some dignity. ;)

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Looking at the game, you may find this very hard to believe, but we've rejected a lot of content over the years. ;) I've also got about a 1GB folder of stuff made for MSC that we'll likely never use.

I do like the "community built mod" concept, but even MSC's gotta have some dignity. ;)

Understood. My apologies if I made it out to be purely community driven. I don't doubt that there is a quality standard for MS:C. I was simply posting my thoughts on the seemingly widespread notion that "If I make it, you must use it".

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Fine fine... I'll get on it...

ww_bear.jpg

Where shall I put ww.pedo-bear though? ;)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Reminds me of my first attempt at a 3d dogcat...