INFO Forum Software Upgraded

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We just had a major upgrade to the forum software. As such, some features may not work properly.

I am aware of the downloads section missing. I am working on that. In the meanwhile, please report any other issues you observe with the site.

Thank you.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
How do I manage subforums and members?
Don't think we've had a user accessible function for that since the old (old) forums. If you need to add/remove members from your guild threads, or such, think you'll have to PM me, sadly.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for a XenForo plugin that does it. Though it'd have to be up to date, as I'm guessing our Discord plugin wasn't.

• Admin

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for a XenForo plugin that does it. Though it'd have to be up to date, as I'm guessing our Discord plugin wasn't.

I just got too lazy to finish it the day I did this upgrade and I forgot to get back to it. It also doesn't help that I purchased a forum and I'm going crazy managing that and preparing it for a migration to one of my servers.

I'll get to the discord in a bit. As for the functionality, I'll look around for a plugin. Or else I'll just have to find the time to make one myself.

Or we could just create social groups and the group administrators can add or delete members from it.

Also expect big changes to the servers. I'm downsizing our server count this time when I switch to the latest servers. I plan to just run a server in UK, US East, and US West. All the other servers are being discontinued. Although AUS I think is paid for few more months. Main servers are not changing since those are paid for a few years. The new servers we get should be paid for 24 months as well.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No worries, we've got more servers than we can use, at the moment. Nonetheless, we'll definitely need to start another fund drive for you come next patch. Do need to be careful though, such efforts are getting abused so often on the internet that folks are starting to crack down on them. Not that we're talking a Kickstarter, Gofundme, or Patreon, but if someone did that on our behalf, we'd have to make it absolutely clear we ain't promising sh*t.

Maybe we should stop letting people donate to us in models - feel bad enough about getting so few of them into the game.

Or we could just create social groups and the group administrators can add or delete members from it.
Is that a new admin panel feature? Can we make specific subforums visible to specific social groups and let folks manage their members, without also letting them manage all users? (Checks) I'm just, not seeing an option like that. No forum end "user management" permissions, save banning.

I found this bit of documentation, thinking it was a vanilla function, but alas, it's a plugin.

edit:
To be clear, it's not a huge deal though, nor is the Discord plugin (could just use a sticky, and add it to the links). Don't really need an interactive Discord plugin, so much as just a button. Maybe I can work that out for myself (though I don't think I have a permanent invite link for the Discord).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks, now I just have to figure how to add the button. (Probably something on that "Connect with us" panel.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Okay, Discord button and sticky added (man, my HTML is rusty)... Couldn't figure how to add it to "Connect with us", but probably more useful where it is, and hopefully not too obnoxious.

So that's all we needed there. I don't think there is a vanilla way to give general users the ability to control group membership, but again, not critical. Adding a plugin could be a pain, and I'm not sure if that one works as we intend. (Not that I can snag it and see.)

edit: Seems the icon isn't displaying correctly for some, I'll see what happens if I put it here instead.
discord-64b.png

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Kinda why I described it as I did in the sticky... But hate drives this game sometimes, so I wanna make sure the haters have somewhere to gather and provide fuel for the rest of us. ;)

Seriously though - there is some useful developer information in there. Some devs aren't comfortable with the turn-around time involved in forum communication, so a place where they can go, IM, and actually talk, is useful for encouraging young devs to learn.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
The game is in a schizophrenic state of pointing fingers and blame, all while gnawing on its own feet and eating itself.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I know... It's truly beautiful. Like some sorta virtual manifestation of H.R. Giger's inner child.

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's a forum addon that adds groups and group owners can add and remove members at will. Might be the perfect solution to all this guild. And each group can have multiple nodes in them.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you're up for that, sure - hopefully I can figure out how it works without pestering you too much - Xenforo's UI organizer seems to operate on a different intuition than I do. Sadly, I've already discovered I canna download Xenforo plugins without a paid Xenforo account, or even ask questions on their forums. Though it might be worth investing in, if only to take some load off ya.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, trying to fix something with the color palette.

The color for viewed user names (@Thothie) and visited links don't seem to be capable of being independently set under Appearance->Style Properties->Basic Colors. Instead, the color seems to be generated from the Color Palette, using the entry "Accent 1", making these about 50% darker than that color.

By default, Accent 1 this is a mid range red, meaning such links, become dark red on black, and very difficult to read.

So the only fix I can figure is to make Accent 1 a very bright color. But... Kinda looks like arse, as all the headers (like the red bar on top of this post) take on that color, thus if it's real bright, it makes the whole post harder to read.

Not sure if anyone familiar with this thing knows if there's some way to set them independently, or maybe control the "link dimming".

edit: Temporary solution: Bold Links

Last edited:

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If I remember I'll edit the template to fix that lol