For Servers who want Clients: Maps w/Spawns & Helena Fix

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wow, it works. First I dupped this tree with it, just to be sure. ...and now I *finally* have a full working gate system in Edana.

I've got five portals in the spawn room to all the vanilla maps, save for Edana itself, and Thornlands... Because if you crash trying to get to Thornlands, you'll be at the Thornlands exit anyways... Plus I've a teleporter in there that pretty much goes straight to the Thornlands exit.

In addition, I've set up 8 more portals, on the torches in the magical healing pool. Among these I've only setup portals for Crow's first map series thus far (sans the perpetually missing Highlands).

So far all these portals seem to work. Although I have issues with Lowlands popping you in the wrong place, and OrcPlace kicking you after map change - working on those issues... The rest of the map transition seem to work fine, even with multiple players.

I also have a portal in Edana sewers that goes, well, currently nowhere. If someone can point me to a good sewer map (or one that can be ripented into a good sewer map) I'll plug it in there.

I provide the ent file only as example, as it requires the 50,000 sprites I used in the map to work properly:

http://www.thothie.com/ms/edana.ent

The model I used was *201 - which is the monster clip that prevents the NPCs from wandering into the fountain at Merchant's Square. (For some reason, it's hollow). Its about 256 pixels on each side, so eight players can use most of the transitions, if they're real friendly.

edit: seem to have fixed the orcplace and lowlands transitions.

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks."

Saint Thoth

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yet another minor update for Helena...

- Tied Trolls to Orc spawn waves: to prevent players camping for Troll kills. Four Trolls spawn with each of the first four waves. 19 in the last wave in groups of 3. The reduction is to counter the fact that there's a good chance to wind up with more than four trolls running about at a time. This also more or less grantees that you will have Trolls and Orcs together, throughout the siege.

- All Trolls vanish when Battle Wagon Spawns: this prevents a rare bug where a Troll will irreparably block the wagon's path, become mysteriously invulnerable, and prevent the WarBoss from appearing. (Also, sadly, removes the comical and more common effect of watching Trolls get launched into orbit by the warwagon).

- Troll Spawners killed when Battle Wagon Spawns: this to prevent Troll camping post victory.

- Fixed bug where Warboss would sometimes get stuck mid-animation.

The usual links still apply:

http://www.thothie.com/ms/helena.bsp

http://www.thothie.com/ms/helena.ent

Challs level 2 is done... Few more maps, then maybe I'll start working on converting some others, or making my own, or getting vote/MOTD metamod-p plugins going.

"The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek." - Joseph Campbell

Saint Thoth

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well...

- New Sfor -

explode2.gif

- Save your brass keys!: That's right, I've got a whole new Undamel area. Took out Undie, and added a few rains of increasingly difficult skeletons, followed by a silly little surprise. The entrance to the Undamel area is not in the usual place (but it's not hard to find). To use the key, go up to the lock and press "G" to offer the key to it (it may take some effort, as you have to be staring right at the lock, and standing just the right distance from it).

- Fixed the web door: The old web door in the spider assault room almost never worked, forcing you to arrow climb and sort of 'cheat' to get around the map and to the Dark Armor chest. This has been fixed.

- Prevented Arrow Climbing to Chest: Since the web door works, I made some effort to force you to use it. It's still possible to arrow climb to the DA chest, surely, but the usual routes have been cut off, and will cause you to be laughed at.

- Gave giant spider some backup: Since the giant spider almost always jams itself up against the foot of its cave for an easy kill, I added three green spiders that appear shortly after its death. By this time you should be in the cave with no means of escape.

- One or two other surprises

One bug... I've learned something from this experience: MS treasure chests work in mysterious ways. Although it isn't a major issue, somehow, the treasure chest you get for clearing the undamel room, and what would usually be the DA chest, get mysteriously linked (you can loot the contents of both chests, from either one of them). If anyone has advice to get around this, I'll fix it ASAP and re-upload.

Linky (Same as the old): http://www.thothie.com/ms/sfor.bsp

Ent file only: http://www.thothie.com/ms/sfor.ent

"I'm gonna sing the doom song now! Doom Doom Doom Doom Doom Doom Doom Doom Doom Doom......" - GIR

Saint Thoth

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmm... They're different chests though... The battle at Undamel's is tough, in addition to the need for the key, so I figured it worth some extra booty. I added the Calruin spider queen chest (which isn't too extravagant), and some duplicates of the tree chest (with, I guess, up to 100gp each, also not extravagant).

The duplicate tree chests operate fine. It's the Calruin Queen and DA chests that link. How do I unlink them? Or is it, that I can only use certain chests on the same map, or they'll always share the store name? In which case, any idea as to which chests are open to me here?

As for the exploding head question:

New thornlands, new edana, new helena... my head is gonna 'splode!

"No one understands me."

Saint Thoth

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Minor tweaks to Sfor update:

Since I couldn't get the treasures unlinked, I replaced the extra treasure with a certain, tiny, coveted item. You'll have to get your brass keys and finish it to see what it is, but it seems to work.

Linky (Same as the old): http://www.thothie.com/ms/sfor.bsp

Ent file only: http://www.thothie.com/ms/sfor.ent

Level2 is ready, but I wanted to get in some multiplayer testing before I make it public. As such, I've got several extra maps on the server named "hard_helena" etc. They're in the amx_mapmenu.

I really hope the MS entities in MS:C are more dynamic. Seems it would be much better to be able to define treasure contents, monster stats, and NPC scripts in the map, than to have to depend on the few scripts in the DLL.

“I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Saint Thoth

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WOW, i was away from MS comunity for few weeks... Now when i came back i see here was much work done :) Thx. Thotie i have downloading map fixes now :D

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I looked at the keyhole thing, and i cant find out what it targets when you give it a key. Or, more specifically, what is the name if the entity it will activate once you give it the key?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The keyhole targets the entity "ustart", as I recall. There's no way to control that, that I can see... But you can try adding a "target" property to the keyhole and see if that'll redirect it.

The keyhole is really picky about where you stand when you insert the key it seems so, if you use it, I recommend putting an obvious 32x32 floor tile in front of it, so the players know where to stand.

We should really start working on a MS map developers guide, or something. That'll mean describing everything we've learned about all the MS entities though, and I'm not sure if the developers would ban us all for trying or not. ;)

"This is your life, and it' s ending one minute at a time."

Saint Thoth

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie, you said somewhere in this thread that whenever you have a new RipEnted version of a map you replace the old version with it. That way, the download links you provide always link to the latest version.

All but one. I downloaded your updated helena, sfor and thornlands. Helena and sfor work fine, but I noticed nothing new in thornlands.

Thothie said:
Changes:

- Reduced spider waves in queen chamber to 1 life each, with no spawn delay

- Added fourth wave to compensate

- Added env_shake and audio que for each spider wave (to let you know you're progressing)

- Lowered Spider Queen spawn (as sometimes she would get stuck in the ceiling, then proceed to walk off the map)

- Spider Queen always spawns now (thoroughly tested)

- Added orchestral strike to Spider Queen's appearance

- Added fanfair to Spider Queen's death

- Added a Skeleton to Oldro's Closet. (spawns when door is broken)

- Fixed BookBoss spawn by exchanging old BookBoss for five small bats.

- Added spiders to eggs outside queen chamber (spiders spawn when eggs are broken)

None of these happened to me. I placed the map in the right folder (yeah, I'm smart enough to do that :p ) and nothing changed.

Thus I concluded you have an older version on your site.

Could you please fix that? I'm anxious to try this fixed thornlands. By the way, the updated sfor (with the Undamael area) is sweet :oldshock:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score