Dwarven Playermodel

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Hiya all!
it's me Furion and I'm here to post progress the Dwarven player model project I'm taking on!

It's a bit of a chore but I am getting things going.

First thing I'm attempting to do is remove the helmet, shoulder pads and belt from the dwarf model we have.

After editing the UV MAP to allow a full set of hair. (which I can't seem to make look right still but I got it close enough for me)

I'll update as I progress in this project.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Would be cool if we could choose models with different hair colors for our dwarf characters.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Would be cool if we could choose models with different hair colors for our dwarf characters.

I imagine it would be possible but then we would have to make UVs for the humans for the same thing. (I think) So in the meantime, the male dwarf is going to have red hair.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We still can't change skins on player models (and MiB has made it clear that allowing us to change submodels on them was such a pain that he ain't touching skins) - but we can do different skins though submodels (which I think is the way the current dwarf works). There's no prepared menu interface for that sort of detailed selection (although also not sure how to activate MiB's race menu - but maybe I can work it out).

Races were supposed to introduce new leveling models, for a truly different game play experience. Dwarves were supposed to be ultra-generalists, in that, instead of gaining experience by weapon type, all their XP would go to a central pool, and all their stats would level at, roughly, the same rate. I was going to add an option for them to pick either a magic or physical bent (thus favoring that aspect)... Dunno if we can have that bent determine which skin (er, submodel) they'd be using.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I hope you can animate, because you're going to need to make around 20 animations for all the weapon types. :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
63, actually. It'll need all the animations of the current player model... Although we maybe able to *fudge* it here and there.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Orochi said:
I hope you can animate, because you're going to need to make around 20 animations for all the weapon types. :wink:

You bet I can! hehe It's not that hard for me to animate. :p

Thothie said:
63, actually. It'll need all the animations of the current player model... Although we maybe able to *fudge* it here and there.

I saw when I decompiled the human playermodel (as a reference) tons of sequences, but the don't scare me, not one bit.
I'm starting to near the animation stage, gotta separate the arms and legs from the body.

Textures are all done (I hope)
Due to the nature of the race I'm going with earthy colors for the clothes.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yes, well, I may have been a little short, Thothie. :oops:

furion001 said:
I'm starting to near the animation stage, gotta separate the arms and legs from the body.

Do you mean so that the body parts are able to be submodel'd like the current player model? If so, then yes you'll need to do that. You don't need to split up the skeleton, however. Just animate only the parts you want (I.E. just the upper torso for weapons) and let HL's anim blending do the work.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping, for simplicity's sake, we can just reskin the dwarf for different armor types, and not have to deal with the painful segmented submodel system the human model is using (or, at least, just replace the entire model with various submodels based on what armor he's wearing).

I just hope we don't run into that bizarre crap we did with the human player model, where he refuses to duck unless his submodel is split in a certain fashion. Never could figure out why that was.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'm kinda hoping, for simplicity's sake, we can just reskin the dwarf for different armor types, and not have to deal with the painful segmented submodel system the human model is using (or, at least, just replace the entire model with various submodels based on what armor he's wearing).

I just hope we don't run into that bizarre crap we did with the human player model, where he refuses to duck unless his submodel is split in a certain fashion. Never could figure out why that was.

I can do that, but there is the issue with differently equiped armors, such as helms and weapons, which is why I propose only submodeling the head and (as a whole) arms,legs and body. Think that'll work?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
furion001 said:
Thothie said:

I can do that, but there is the issue with differently equiped armors, such as helms and weapons, which is why I propose only submodeling the head and (as a whole) arms,legs and body. Think that'll work?
*sigh* Yeah, true, I suppose we'll have to do that... *Hopefully* we can have just those two model groups (head/body) and not have to worry about the insanity that the human player model is. (arms/legs/head/torso + female indexes)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
*sigh* Yeah, true, I suppose we'll have to do that... *Hopefully* we can have just those two model groups (head/body) and not have to worry about the insanity that the human player model is. (arms/legs/head/torso + female indexes)

Alright I'll leave the model as it is now then (I already seperated the head.

So I just need to make a submodel for each of the armors and helms? Whats the attachment bone name for back equiped items?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It might be simplest not to worry about wear attachments for dwarves... But I suppose we'll at least have to make them a separate p_model set. Sadly, the wear models in the p_model sets do not work by attachment - they instead have their own partial skeleton that layers onto the existing one. (see models/weapons/p_weaponsX.mdl, and models/misc/p_misc.mdl - edit: and models/armor/packs/p_packs.mdl)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
It might be simplest not to worry about wear attachments for dwarves... But I suppose we'll at least have to make them a separate p_model set. Sadly, the wear models in the p_model sets do not work by attachment - they instead have their own partial skeleton that layers onto the existing one. (see models/weapons/p_weaponsX.mdl, and models/misc/p_misc.mdl - edit: and models/armor/packs/p_packs.mdl)

Ah! That explains them then lol, I can make the dwarven p_models too if you want, naming them p_d_<name>.mdl

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lotta work... I'd go with the p_weapon models first, and just skip the rest if you get sick of it. The rest aren't as critical - I don't think folks will be terribly upset if they can't see their dwarf's backpack - but you do kinda need to see what weapon you (in third person) and your dwarven allies have drawn. If you can keep the same model order, it maybe possible to make the script point at the other p_model based on owner race with minimal fuss.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Lotta work... I'd go with the p_weapon models first, and just skip the rest if you get sick of it. The rest aren't as critical - I don't think folks will be terribly upset if they can't see their dwarf's backpack - but you do kinda need to see what weapon you (in third person) and your dwarven allies have drawn. If you can keep the same model order, it maybe possible to make the script point at the other p_model based on owner race with minimal fuss.

A lot of work that I enjoy doing. :p

I'll get right to it. :p
Keeping the model order isn't hard, since the order is listed in the QC on decompile.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Here's a snap at how he looks in idle or stand pose.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The ginger-green color scheme makes me think leprechaun, but other than that, looks good.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
What thoth said. Maybe make that a lighter, burlap-grey color?