Dwarven Playermodel

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
how about a model merge like what you did to the rat and wolf model?
Maybe, but then we have the opposite problem - as then none of the bone names should match up.

(Also it's a rat/wolf/bear/snake now. ;) [/modelh4x])

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
If you mean similar to what you see going on with the male/female armor sets ( models/armor/p_helmets.mdl and models/armor/p_armorvest_new.mdl ) then *maybe*... However, those rely on the bone sets matching up exactly. That method may not work for the dwarf - you'd have to experiment. :/

No I mean with the p_weaponsX.mdls

and I think we won't need to do Dwarven P_armorX or P_helmets models since I'm making helmet and armor submodels
I'm just asking will the current P_Models accept any more reference SMDs or will I have to make P_D_WeaponsX models too?
(saves model precache space.)

And with bone names will they matter in game or when dealing with the player?

Another thing that might be awesome aesthetically is if I also reskin Viewport models and add them along side the humans to the V_models to have dwarven gloves, Like have a range of numbers for Human models and another range of numbers for the dwarfs, so on and so forth. Since swapping sub models is already being done for every weapon, wouldn't hurt to add it .. right?

I'm enjoying this modeling stuff :p

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Bone names do matter I think, just like animation names and order.

Another thing that might be awesome aesthetically is if I also reskin Viewport models to have dwarven gloves, Since swapping sub models is already being done for every weapon, wouldn't hurt to add it .. right?

It wouldnt hurt at all, this was already proposed in the req list of modellingstuff to do I think, and its more likely the viewmodel files will take more time before they dont compile anymore.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Upon closer inspection of the p_weapon models I think I might have to make them separate to the human P_weapons
I don't think it's possible to compile a model with different skeletons I figure it would be easiest to make p_d_weaponsX models and not deal with the mismatched bone issues.. I'll just leave the on floor animations out.

35/63 standard animations( just finished with bows), 1/5 additional animations complete... HALF WAY THERE!! :D .. for animating XD I then have to start on the references for the armors and helms, make p_models and reskin V_models.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... Be a bit tricky, script side. It'd mean switching models everytime the floor animations are called, and it's not really setup for that - mean some weird tweaks to the base, as well as every weapon that is off the base.

You can put multiple skeletons in the same model via submodels, but the bone names can't match up, or if they do, they have to connect in the same order, or ya get an error.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Hrmm... Be a bit tricky, script side. It'd mean switching models everytime the floor animations are called, and it's not really setup for that - mean some weird tweaks to the base, as well as every weapon that is off the base.

You can put multiple skeletons in the same model via submodels, but the bone names can't match up, or if they do, they have to connect in the same order, or ya get an error.

Oh well in that case I should be fine.. since the bone names in the dwarven model are lwrist, base, head etc while all the bones in the human model are Bip01 Head, Bip01 RHand, Etc..

Ok then I guess we can merge p_models then.. thats a relief.. XD

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Stoned said:
Post moar gifs
but theres no other major animation that I can save GiFs too ..I can make jpgs though of all the poses but they are borings :p

Gandalf the Grey

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Absolutely freaking incredible work Furion. If I knew you had been putting this much into the game I would've given you the head nod of approval :p. But seriously, keep it up mate, its looking amazing.

Just a side note: If it would be too complicated to switch player models for customization amongst us, would anything stop people from adding equipable beards? and while we're at, equipable faces? :D

(I can see it now... Barber shops, and face-melting magicians... XD)

Seriously, it would be a sweet addition.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Gandalf the Grey said:
Absolutely freaking incredible work Furion. If I knew you had been putting this much into the game I would've given you the head nod of approval :p. But seriously, keep it up mate, its looking amazing.

Just a side note: If it would be too complicated to switch player models for customization amongst us, would anything stop people from adding equipable beards? and while we're at, equipable faces? :D

(I can see it now... Barber shops, and face-melting magicians... XD)

Seriously, it would be a sweet addition.
if anyone was willing to help me id like to try and do it for both models? maybe start with just hairs and what not? make it have a shared equipable spot with the helmet and have it disappear when the helmet is put on?

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
if anyone was willing to help me id like to try and do it for both models? maybe start with just hairs and what not? make it have a shared equipable spot with the helmet and have it disappear when the helmet is put on?[/quote]

Might be a tad difficult.. but I dunno XD might be possible ... but again I dunno.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, while it should be fairly easy to achieve via submodels, too many submodel groups on a single model have this nasty habit of scrambling. There seems to be some flaw in the formula that converts submodels to model indexes, when passing from server to clients. We also canna affect skins on player models between clients, for some damned reason or other.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Yes, this was also suggested elsewhere.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Maybe with some horrifically complicated single submodel set where I get to make my own submodel indexing formula... Otherwise, it be iffy.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
ceriux said:
so no more updates on the dwarf?

there will be, I just got a job, so finding time to work on this is a little hard. I'll try to get some more updates soon.

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
ceriux said:
i know what you mean with the job thing -.-

You also have to look on the bright side of Life ... if there is one :/ ^^

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Back! Sorry for keeping everyone waiting for updates, been a tad under the weather.

just finished with the spin polearm animations.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yes... well.. hoping the framerate in game will help mask it XD

Last update for tonight!

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
It's looking great, just don't quit on us!