Dual Wielding (and the Dark Sword)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Imagine if we could hold a dark sword in both hands and charge both of them. How cool would that be?

Dual wielding in general needs to be improved on though. The system seems rather broken and if I recall, some people have told me only one hand can earn exp. One solution might be to make a new attacking animation that uses both hands and bind that to a new key. Maybe the F key. I think that is unbound, right? Right and left click would function as it always has. I'm not sure how you would divide exp though. That would have to be discussed further, I think. It might be possible to just make dual wielding give no exp at all.

As for only one hand giving xp when you use left and right click? I don't even know if it's possible to solve that. If it was solved that would be fantastic, though.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It was solved long ago, IIRC. Attacking with both hands is not something I'm willing to touch at the moment.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think it would be feasible if we had to hold 2 identical one handed weapons (identical to prevent having to deal with every possible combinations) and talk to some NPC that will combine both in one single "dual wield" weapon requiring let's say 5 more levels of proficiency than the original, using the same models and all, with a simply doubled attack speed. Maybe then, tomahawks might actually be of some use :wink:.
I think this game needs some speed, it's getting kind of old to use big and slow two handed huge things. And every "fast" weapons are heavily outmatched by the two handed ones in DPS. I think it's a good opportunity to put much more variety in the game and having the freedom to choose speed over big damage.
BTW I could *try* to set it up if you want me to try.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
If we're going to set up dual attacking we're going to do it PROPERLY. Maybe someday I'll have time to fux with it, but not right now. Lots of things are more important.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I understand but I was suggesting a simple workaround to simulate dual wielding without actually dual wielding anything. Did you even read my post :wink:?
I'd like to take a shot at it and see if it's as simple as I think it is, I created a lot of weapons in other games.

EDIT: oigetitnow, "PROPERLY" meant "no half-assed simulations" :(

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Did you read mine? >_> If we're going to do it, we're going to do it right. I don't want to have some hacky system out there, especially if and when I make the real system.