DONATIONS TEIM: Save Kuroneko from destitution!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
_kuroneko.jpg

It's getting time to pay the server bills again, and unless we're going to depend on Lord K living on instant ramen noodles for the rest of his life, I think we're going to have to kick in a bit.

As it is, this hosting package is so expensive, I suspect we're going to have to downgrade one level, at least... But donations would prevent the board from vanishing altogether.

So, if you want to see Master Sword Continued... Continue... And keep the light on for MSS... Hop your asses over to the main page and click on the DONATE button, there on the right.

Doesn't have to be much... Anything between a candy bar, a pizza, and the monthly rent will do... I suppose we should really start a Constellation style bonus feature for donators. Hrmmm...

Seeing as how we already have a bonus system for exploit reporters, if you donate, and leave a note with your Steam ID and favored character slot (click on "+Add Special Instructions to the Seller"), I'll go about adding donators to the list in the next patch. You'll thus be able to get something for your trouble, beyond the game's simple survival, and in the future, I'll try to work up a more unique reward - though hopefully just something that shows you're a supporter, rather than anything that'll mess up game play for everyone.

So again, for the TL;DR, go nyah:The front page, and click DONATE
Donate so Lord K can keep hosting, and we can keep expanding this community built mod!

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
What's the hosting charges look like? Whats the compay that host the files on this site? Just curious before I make a donation.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's about $300/year through Cirtex, for the dedicated server, professional level file space, SQL, the domain, the bot-raided wiki, the front page, the MSS SVN server, and the forums.

It's not just about this year though, Lord K's been eating this bill for quite some time, and we've only ever had one other donation drive, that, in the end, only covered part of the bill for just that year.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Seems to be over priced but if he has been paying it off it's only fair to donate some of it back. Thanks

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Shinitenshi said:
Seems to be over priced but if he has been paying it off it's only fair to donate some of it back. Thanks

You are somewhat correct. We have a more advanced hosting package. Partially because we needed it at the time. That being said, part of this donation drive will be to see what we can afford. Ultimately, if we can't raise enough money we'll need to cut down to a cheaper package and hope it doesn't bite us in the arse.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Error when I click PayPal link maybe cause I'm on an iPad..

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Shinitenshi said:
Error when I click PayPal link maybe cause I'm on an iPad..

Just checked it with Firefox/IE/Chrome/Android and it seems to work. However, I don't have Safari or an iPad to test with.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
$300 per year? Nice. It's a lot better than $1200/year for a hosted dedicated server service with a good CPU and plenty of RAM -- but most importantly with a 1000Mbit connection -- so your college will stop throttling you >_> But hey, at least my friends and I could code and play in peace!

How much would a reasonable amount be, btw? I doubt throwing out $5 will get me a trophy of epic gratitude (not that I'm looking for something in return anyway... it's a DONATION, after all), but I dunno. And yes, yes, every little bit helps. But rhetoric aside, how much would reasonably help, per-person?

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Lark said:
How much would a reasonable amount be, btw? I doubt throwing out $5 will get me a trophy of epic gratitude (not that I'm looking for something in return anyway... it's a DONATION, after all), but I dunno. And yes, yes, every little bit helps. But rhetoric aside, how much would reasonably help, per-person?

Well, every little bit does help and 5 dollars is far from unreasonable as far as I'm concerned. I'd be happy if all of the active members of the community donated 5 or more dollars each.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I think a post on the main page about this would also help a little, especially seeing as the last post is about a dated game update. (Mention the rewardz!)

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Shinitenshi said:
You spent 1200 for a ded server? Why?

Because I needed a server box that was off the college network that all of us could access. I didn't pay for the whole thing myself though :p That was back in college, and the only alternative I could think of at the time was to pay for my Dad to get a Comcast Business account and put my own server box there (which would have cost almost as much anyway, AND have less bandwidth). Point is, sometimes you just need a hosted solution, and depending on your needs, it can cost a little more. As an added bonus, they handled DDoS attacks within minutes -- if not seconds -- of them occurring. Donations and/or friends with rich relatives help you meet those ends until you're either rolling in dough or no longer need the service :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lark said:
As an added bonus, they handled DDoS attacks within minutes -- if not seconds -- of them occurring.
Which goes to why we have this insane high level service. >_> Wouldn't need it, if not for a few avid pricks...

For those of you that were having trouble with the donate link, judging by the ninja edit, I think, for security purposes, you have to click on the Donate icon on the front page, so it maybe PayPal poo-poo'd on my direct linking here.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
If Paypal weren't so damn slow, I'd have donated already. Expect a donation from me within the next 8 days.

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Hrrrmm... I think we should make cosmetic items as a reward for donating. My suggestion is that for a $20 donation or more someone should receive cosmetic pets. The March Patch pet could be one if these awesome trencherbeaks :wink:

Having it cosmetic makes it so that it doesn't break the game and require people to be donators, but it also gives donators something that everyone else can recognize as unique for their services.

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Srgnt Rehab said:
Hrrrmm... I think we should make cosmetic items as a reward for donating. My suggestion is that for a $20 donation or more someone should receive cosmetic pets. The March Patch pet could be one if these awesome trencherbeaks :wink:

Having it cosmetic makes it so that it doesn't break the game and require people to be donators, but it also gives donators something that everyone else can recognize as unique for their services.
Not a bad idea at all, but they would need to add them too, which is already enough work working on the patch
If there was a way to help with paysafecards x.x

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Rideon said:

This, i still don't own a credit card, i do have a paypal account but i cant put money in it, so no donations untill i get one sadly. :|

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
Rideon said:

This, i still don't own a credit card, i do have a paypal account but i cant put money in it, so no donations untill i get one sadly. :|

This somewhat applies to me aswell.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hint for life:
Prepaid Visa's are your friend.

Hit store. Give $10 cash. Have anonymous Visa card. Rule world.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Hint for life:

If i'm not mistaking i don't have any way to access those cards in the area i live in, that's basically the same as a paysafecard... i did a few searches for online payments a few years back, and i did found a few available in the area i live in, but none of them are linked with paypal.

Only way i could donate would be using my bro's credit card, but then he would ask reasons for using it and i don't feel like explaining sh!t to anybody. Not to mention i would have to bother him with alot of things, and he is busy taking care of his family right now... he hardly has any free time left lately with all the work he has been doing. :roll:

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Hint for life:

What is this American magic you speak of? :p

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I have a debit/credit card!

...And a huge pile of debt. Sorry :(

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
...And a huge pile of debt. Sorry :(

You can add more to the pile! :twisted:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
If i'm not mistaking i don't have any way to access those cards in the area i live in
Jelly said:
What is this American magic you speak of?
I'm kinda surprised you don't have the equivalent of this American criminal scheme in Europe. It's just so damned handy for doing various nefarious acts... Hell, right now, you can even get a pre-paid Visa on line, without a credit card, or even a bank account, directly (or almost directly) through Visa itself. The money laundering applications are just endless!

Granted, I know it's hard to pay into PayPal from overseas... I'm kinda surprised we still haven't worked out this whole global credit thing... I suppose we'll have to wait until the next economic collapse (maybe that 3.7 quadrillion dollar derivatives bubble), when there'll be only one bank left standing on the whole damn planet. ;)