Dedicated server - Can you play on it whilst hosting?

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
I mean on the same computer; as in the old Half-Life running a dedicated server meant you couldn't connect to it from that machine. I noticed in the long post Thothie made about hosting a dedicated server that you don't use steam... So is it possible to host one and play on it? Because I want to host a server for MSC, but I also want to play on it so is there a way? It also seems I have to play around with my router to make it show up, but luckily I think my router is in the list on how to fix it. I don't want to host a listenserver that just happens to run all the time, as I want to be able to have the server running even when I'm not there. As at the moment we only have about 2-4 dedicated servers.

Note: I only have one computer so don't suggest anything that involves two lol.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i know its possible to connect to your own dedicated, even using the steam one...it just causes a huge ammount of lag...not sure about the normal hlds though

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
=/ Well I DO have access to a second computer. It's upstairs in my Dad's room. It doesn't have any games installed on it, and he likes to do his fair share of bandwidth using.

And it's in his room, where he always is. So I can't monitor it, he could reset the computer at anytime or something. And if the server crashed, I wouldn't be able to get it back up.

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I dont see why not I do that.

I did the following

#1 Run HLDS with steam running, but some of the updates and ---- didn't work

#2 method HLDS w.o steam running works just fine, just set it to high priority..

altought my current pc is maxed out -----------

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Whenever Jabba hosts an HLDS of any kind and I join it, it lags straight to hell (we use seperate computers on a LAN network)... that weirds me out some :?

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
So you're saying that computers on a LAN can't connect to each others HLDS without lag :S?

Hmm... I just host my listenserver a lot. I still can't get it to show in the list... Seems I'm doomed from hosting eh? =/