MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Hey, at least I appreciated the half-naked men. >.>

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Well, It's ingame. Makes everyone look like a ninja turtle instead of a hoplite, but oh well :| Updated first post with link to the replacement if you want it.

Oh and if it seems a little big, too bad. Real hoplite armor wasn't form fitting and if this was, it'll still be a clipfest bonanza with you even unable to tell what hes wearing :p

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Whats the poly count on that? The helm looks like you just cut the holes out of the helm - cutting makes for high poly counts and it makes it look more like a Halloween costume than a piece of armor, and . If possible, it's best if you try to work these cuts into the edge loops. The shape of it is ok, but the skin needs to reflect that this is a molded piece of metal, not cut out of cardboard and painted if that helps at all. After looking at a few google pictures, it looks like these helms usually have ridges around the edges. I'm not exactly sure how you do this, but the helm should be shiny like the skull in orc arena (it doesn't have to be that shiny, but it would help to show that it's made of metal.) Overall, the skin is too simplistic, but the mohawk looks good.

As for the chest piece, it looks flat, uneven, and rough. It should be smoother and flow nicely. You could fix a lot by following a reference image as you were making the skin for it. You should practice sketching it a few times so that you can see how the lines flow. Going at it with just a mouse and some paint tools doesn't usually work.

Sorry if I'm sounding critical, but your model needs a lot of work.

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Well yeah obviously, but I'm working on different stuff continuously so I can progress more evenly on my modelling/skinning skills. The polycount is about 1550 all together, iirc.

The helm did not have any cuts made out of it, it was made with vertice-by-vertice modelling. I do think the skin reflects that this is bronze, and if Half-Life had normal maps then maybe you would see it more. I also decided to forget the bulge on the upper forehead because it would only further complicate uvmapping. I know that you're right about the shininess factor here, but its not so simple to just say 'make it shiny'. Most of the armors in MSC achieve this by simply maxing the brightness and contrast factor and calling it good, but shininess is actually determined by tangents of light hitting parts of the model and reflecting more than on another area of the model viewed from the same point. Half-Life does this by the chrome effect, and I was contemplating duplicating the model, pushing it outward by a tiny bit, and then chroming it and making it transparent (additive). The same effect used in Half-Life Rally to make the cars 'shiny'. But this would invariably double the poly count to something like 3000. Suffice to say though, thats just an excuse and I'll work on practicing painting metal more.

The chest piece I do agree about, but I was following references, it's just kind of hard to paint stuff pixel by pixel when all of your references are photographed from grazing angles. The chest piece has been modelled mostly true to the references I followed, if it appears flat, uneven, and rough, then well, so be it.

I'm not going to work on it anymore (as I want to go onto other things), but thanks for the crits.