Computer Specifications

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I have no idea how to find out the exact specifications of my power supply; any ideas on that? The PC game as a standard pre-assembled.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1885
If that is any good as a computer, let me know so that I know I got the right thing if I so wish to do hard-core gaming on it. If I can upgrade the powersupply to something better; post an example one (preferrably something like a 500-750W). Long as the power-supply doesn't exceed half of the cost of the computer already setup I'm good with it (no point in being wasteful).

Also, if you can tell me all the specs of that power-supply I've already got please, I'd like to know if the card I looked at will even run on that computer (currently at my mom's for one night).

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Cool, but do you know if it'll have full compatibility with the PC I have? I don't wanna cram something in if it doesn't even fit, I trust that it should though (only a few thousand types of computers out there).

Also, how much does this cost; and can I order it to be mailed to me (through paypal or something)?

EDIT: 10:24 PM (One minute after posting the initial post here)
Thanks though for mentioning this; it looks pretty damn nice (reading specs).

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
go here: click

This site has power supplies that are compatable with ATX/BTX type cases. One of those should fit inside without any problems. They are a little spendy but they are the only ones compatiable with BTX that and every single one will power any video card you throw at it and then some.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
This thread almost died, whew! I saved it by replying here: anyways awesome power supply stuff there Blasto :p

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
[Laptop: main comp]
CPU: Intel Core Duo 1.83ghz
RAM: 2gb ddr667
GPU: Radeon x1400 128mb onboard, up to 512mb hypermemory
Screen: 15.4" widescreen, 1680x1050

[Extra comp]
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0ghz, oc'd to 2.2ghz
RAM: 1gb corsair xms
GPU: Geforce 6800gt 128mb
Screen: 19" LCD, 1600x1200

[Web/Database server]
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1.8ghz
RAM: 256mb ddr
GPU: Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
Screen: None!!!

[Other server (soon to be MSC)]
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz HyperThreading
RAM: 1.5gb ddr
GPU: PNY Geforce 4 MX420 64mb
Screen: None!!!

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
ZOMGZ :O
It LIVES!
Thank-you Hobbit for making it continue: this thread means a lot since it is a global area to post your computer/s awesomeness power's :twisted:

I'm still looking over power supplies since I have NO IDEA if they'll fit in the computer I am usually whoring (the super AMD one). That is because the standard prebuilt & brand-new edition of this AMD Dual Core computer doesn't tell me power-supply size/size-requirements *that or I'm blind*.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
its not that hard, you just need a power supply with a dual 12 volt rail. Thats it.

Besides that just look for tons of amps on those 12 volt rails and your in business thats all you really need in a good power supply also just make sure you get a 500 watt that should cover your video and other hardware power requirements.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well I'll do that: but we seem to have a new guy on MSC forums
Void Knight or Knight Void or something -_- I forget!!

Anyways, newbie dude post your computer specs in here!!!

Pernicious-Noto

New Adventurer
Reaction score
CPU: Dual AMD 3800's Each Core overclocked to 2.7ghz each watercooled
RAM: 1gb high performace ram very low lat for speed 2.5-3-3-5 @ 270mhz
VIDEO Card: 7800gtx HIGHLY overclocked

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
A GeForce 7800 GTX or a GeForce 7800 GTX 512?

I have an XFX GeForce 7800 GTX at 490 / 1300 (standard for the XFX version is 450 / 1250, standard for the nVidia version is 430 / 1200).

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Arggg!! Everyone seems to have these computers that blows the one I'm using out of the water!!! (I haven't gotten the one from my dad's yet, probable that I never will)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hey JM - That 7800 you got PCI-E?

I just upgraded my system, and I got this POS EVGA 7950 GT KO that, in addition to having the fan from hell, is refusing to render any graphics at the command prompt (even the most basic stuff). Kinda need this, as I've got some old inventory software that goes through the CGA that I can't get rid of.

Code:
--------------------------- 
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem 
Command Prompt - portalinv 
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. 
CS:c000 IP:d6fc OP:c6 7c 00 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. 
Close Ignore 

If yer's is PCI-E, tell me if it can run this:
http://www.thothie.com/4jiggly5/cga_test.zip

It should turn your screen white... If it does - tell me what brand your 7800 is so I can return this POS and buy one of yours. ;)

Oh, while I'm here, the new system:
CPU: Intel Conroe e6600
GPU: EVGA 7950GT KO 512MB DDR3 (Don't buy this POS!)
PPU: Again, whaaah?
MEMORY: 2GB Corsair Domintor DDR2 PC8500c5d
MOBO: Evga 680i (edit: swapped for Intel G965 - 680i chipset still too unstable)

Everything else same as before, although I tacked on another 500GB SATA2 HD, and dropped one of my older IDEs.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Hey JM - That 7800 you got PCI-E?
Yup, PCI Express x16.

Thothie said:
I just upgraded my system, and I got this POS EVGA 7950 GT KO that, in addition to having the fan from hell, is refusing to render any graphics at the command prompt (even the most basic stuff). Kinda need this, as I've got some old inventory software that goes through the CGA that I can't get rid of.
That's a pretty huge videocard, but I'm kind of surprised that it's such a POS...

Thothie said:
If yer's is PCI-E, tell me if it can run this:
http://www.thothie.com/4jiggly5/cga_test.zip
Whenever I run this WHITE.EXE program of yours my screen goes white indeed, after about a three second delay with a black screen. Anyway, the screen stays white until I Alt+Tab out of it (and I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen). Either way, I didn't get any strange error messages, just the intended white screen.

Thothie said:
It should turn your screen white... If it does - tell me what brand your 7800 is so I can return this POS and buy one of yours. ;)
I am the proud owner ( 8) ) of an XFX GeForce 7800 GTX.
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/intl/index.jspa

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie, a PPU is a Physics Processing Unit. It is something recommended if you plan on playing games that render entire world's all at once, with lots of sprite spammage like fires & that such.

PPU basically reduces the strain put on your video card by things like smoke, fire, water, and the such stuff that produces massive quantities by which a video card to process...

It is something you'd tack on with an eight-thousand-dollar computer rig, since then it'd have the power necessary to make a PPU worth its while.

As to my crappy FX 5200 video card, I have discovered that optimized over-clocking settings put it up from:

Core Clock Frequency 250MHz to 329MHz
and...
Memory clock frequency 600MHz to 822 MHz

I find that a very satisfying increase, considering that my new FPS on HL2 with high shadows, high models, and high textures (but everything else dead low) is 80-150...

It is much better, makes it that much more tempting for me to just go out & buy a slightly better powersupply (since I use a 300 watt right now) and then buy a much better video card to use my PCI-E slot, rather than clouding up my PCI one... (which used to host a TV-Cable card, but I swapped out since I don't use it)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I forgot my sarcasm tag in reference to the PPU

Getting HL2 to run smooth on a 5200 is pretty impressive though! :oldshock:

That fanless XFX looks tempting to me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150189

But I'm not absolutely sure if it's the EVGA or the 7950GT chipset causing the problem. But I do know this EVGA is lacking in other respects.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I love Day of Defeat Source, and Jabba hates my video card because of how much better it runs than his :D

He has a 512MB AGP setup, some sorta GeForce 7800 or something, I'll read the box later on, or have him post its specifications; but anyways, he gets either a half or one-third the FPS on DoD:S as me... which is awesome, since my card is an old crapper where his is only a week or two old 8)

I love it when I actually have something of mine that is older, and better, than something brand-new & top of the line belonging to somebody else :p

Of course, so that I might play games like Black&White2 with blasted graphics, I am thinking I'll buy myself a nice PCI-E card pretty soon, a basic $100 one... when I bought my FX-5200 it was only $50, and a 128MB PCI setup... I think I could buy a new FX-5200 again today, at like $20 or $10; just one year later & less than half-price...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Your 5200 beats out his 7800? That's effed up right there. Must be somethin wrong with his setup.

Your 5200 is also better than my 7950 - cuz you ain't RMA'ing your 5200. :oldcry:

The EVGA 7950GTKO was fast, I'll give it that - I actually don't have a game that I got anything less than max FPS at, regardless of settings. But that horrid fan + no low res support killed it for me.

I also wound up swapping out my "cutting edge" 680i for the "tried and tested" G965 chipset. It's not noticeably slower, benchmark is about the same, faster on one instance (but I think due to issue I had with it). It rates better on the stress tests, and plays much more nicely with my hardware. It maybe an issue in the future if I ever upgrad to a CPU that can actually use all my memory bandwidth - but dun see doing that anytime soon, and by then maybe the 680i wont be so fubar.

The Conroe CPU's though - they, kick, ass.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
I love Day of Defeat Source, and Jabba hates my video card because of how much better it runs than his :D

He has a 512MB AGP setup, some sorta GeForce 7800 or something, I'll read the box later on, or have him post its specifications; but anyways, he gets either a half or one-third the FPS on DoD:S as me... which is awesome, since my card is an old crapper where his is only a week or two old 8)

I love it when I actually have something of mine that is older, and better, than something brand-new & top of the line belonging to somebody else :p

Of course, so that I might play games like Black&White2 with blasted graphics, I am thinking I'll buy myself a nice PCI-E card pretty soon, a basic $100 one... when I bought my FX-5200 it was only $50, and a 128MB PCI setup... I think I could buy a new FX-5200 again today, at like $20 or $10; just one year later & less than half-price...

its called Direct X, your fx5200 direct x version is mostly likely not 9 hardware side. You may have direct x 9 software but the video card itself is limited.

Basically it means your video card is not rendering things that the other persons card is. If you have ever seen what HL2 looks like on a hardware DX 9 card vs DX 7 there is a very large difference in the rendering.

that and computer configuration helps to :wink:

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A) Correction, my brother is using (bro being Jabba) a 7600.

B) Yes, I have DX9.0; I just viewed the nvidia homepage displaying my video card, it features how it is the only card of its class to display DX9.0 in its entirety.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
that would be like saying my FX5200 is directx 9 compliant. However I know its not because of the year I purchased it in. (mine is directX 7 hardware)

7600 = directX 9.0+ = still renders more than your card

most FX5200 did not support directx 9 for a long time, unless that card is 1-2 years old it doesn't have directX 9.

I know there is a way to check the hardware directX version but I can't seem to remember it.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I bought it just last year January, and it is now twelve months later :p

I read the box it came in; it is DirectX 9.0.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
:D

Main computer
Intel core 2 dou 2.4 Ghz
2 gb DDR 2 667 Mhz ram
nVidia Geforce 7900 gs 256 MB
640 GB HDD

Laptop