Clientside variable for weapon/spell/ammo select binds.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
What with all the upcoming customization that we've heard about like different behavior for shield/rejuvenate aimers and colorful glow, I thought it would be nifty if the "quickslot weapon/spell/arrow" commands got an update to be more efficient (or at least give you the option to with a variable).

My proposed idea is to give players the option to switch these (maybe this would need to be a new command entirely, don't as I'm not experienced with modding.) scrolling binds to a numbered menu similar to emoting. This would be best suited for spells I would imagine as the menu would increase from one to nine spells with zero becoming next if you exceed having more than nine spells memorized. I'm unsure as to how the logic would work with weapons since "quickslot weapon" always selects the weapon at the very top of your inventory then cycles down and when stored, weapons are humorously shoved to the very bottom of your bag. As for ammo, it could always put your strongest ammo types at the top and move in descending order.

This really seems like the best for the spell selection key and it's what I thought of it for first, so if anyone has a more eloquent idea for the weapon and ammo keys feel free to share. Or this might sound really weird to some people as this is coming from a player who has their inventory management set up in a specific manner. I have most of my weapons quickslotted in keys F1-F12+3-0, then the typical AoE spells slotted to four buttons on the numpad, leaving "quickslot weapon" to select my two archery weapons which are always on top of my inventory via quiver, and finally "quickslot spell" for healing and summons.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Putting spells, weapons, and ammo in an emote-style menu doesn't sound terribly complicated. Default behavior would be the same order as how you scroll through them (learned spells in learned order, weapons and ammo in pack order), but could maybe add a parameter to the command to display them alphabetically or something. Possibly even toss scrolls in there if that doesn't break the whole tome/spell balance.

Displaying ammo or weapons by "strongest" is certainly out, though. Not really a metric for what strongest means, since the best I could do would be to pull the damage variable off the arrow, but that wouldn't take into account DOT or any other crazy nonsense Thoth might have tossed in. Plus, janky and inefficient.

@Thothie , do you remember why we disabled the numeric shortcuts for the normal menu (the one on the right side for votemap, interaction,etc)? I know we specifically did it, but I don't know why. Maybe because people trying to press numbers for other binds right when the menu popped up caused problems? I would prefer to use that window, as it's cleaner and easier to see than the emote menu. Maybe could have a flag for whether or not the menu accepts key input so the GM menus never do it.

Only other issue I can foresee off the top of my head is players intentionally trying to futz with the system. For instance, changing inventory order while the menu is up may cause the menus to display you can pull out an item you actually can't, or paging through moves an item to a different page making it look like it's missing or duplicated. Again, less of an actual bug and more of an aesthetic thing if the player is just trying to be weird.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Only other issue I can foresee off the top of my head is players intentionally trying to futz with the system. For instance, changing inventory order while the menu is up may cause the menus to display you can pull out an item you actually can't, or paging through moves an item to a different page making it look like it's missing or duplicated. Again, less of an actual bug and more of an aesthetic thing if the player is just trying to be weird.

Maybe make it so key presses other than ones on the number row cancel out the menu then? Excluding stuff like movement, of course. A timeout to the menu could work too.