Character screen selection won't go away?

Xentoes

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
Hey, whenever I join a server I click on my character and it keeps up the selection. I know that it has chosen the character because I can move and sometimes the black screen will flicker away and then come back in half a second.

Help please?

Barry Megalo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have the same problem running the may2010a betapack, I have tried to reconnect to the server, and both myself and the host have restarted the game as well as restarted our computers to no avail. The problem first occurred when we traveled from the thornlands to the darkcaves (we did this using the in game transition points and not the console). I can however create new characters without issue.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wow, you actually necroposted with a valid post. Impressive.

Anyway, how long did you wait? I've found that waiting ~20 seconds after I click my character will solve this problem. If not,a restart usually does it for me, but since that doesn't help your case, there's a chance that what I sometimes experience is not the same problem you speak of.

Barry Megalo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply, but we actually managed to solve the problem by having the host send me our character saves and having me host our games instead. Not sure if this will turn out to be a permanent solution to the problem but things are working as normal for the time being.

Edit: Okay so it happened again and this time the problem was caused when my friend's game crashed due to a "reliable channel overflow"(when he reconnected his character screen wouldn't disappear). Prior to this crash he had attempted to talk to the weapon seller in Helena and could no longer talk to any of the npcs. We solved this by having him reinstall the mod and then I sent him our saves so he could host again. However later I tried to talk to the blacksmith in gate city causing the same problem to occur with me not being able to talk to any npcs and then I received the "reliable channel overflowed" crash. I reconnected and once again my character screen would not go away. Not sure if the two are related since I don't recall getting this crash when the bug first happened.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Your character be corrupt.

If you were on FN, we could fix it, but it sounds as though you are playing off the char network, thus, sadly, ye be screwed.

TheLastBanana

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Now, here's the strange part - we can actually get the characters to work about half the time. I reinstalled Master Sword then hosted the server, and Barry's character started working again. After a map changed, it stopped again. Then we switched to him hosting the server with the exact same save files, and it worked again, until a few map changes later. Sometimes, when the server starts, clicking the character a second time very quickly will close the screen. Another odd part about the bug is that the person who is stuck at the character screen appears in the server to everyone else, armour, weapons and all, and can walk around. In fact, the only thing they can't do is use mouse movement/buttons and bring up other menus. We've sent the save files back and forth - this bug never happens to the server host, only to clients, even if they're using the exact same file. This almost makes me think that the screen is just failing to close, although you would probably know better.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Your character is overflowing due to its item data stream growing too large. You're on the borderline, which is why it is happening on some maps, or in some instances, and not on others (also may vary depending on the other players, if any). Your best bet for recovering from this is to load up your character on Char_Recover, and dump as many items as you can do without. Also cycle through all your items, and look for any that do anything odd, such as change models when you drop them, as they maybe corrupting the item data stream itself. If this is the case, leave any such items behind (votemap a new map when yer done to be sure the char writes).

On the FN system, we keep backups of your characters several times a day and could roll your character back to a state before it was corrupted, but again, outside of FN, yer on your own (in more ways than one).