zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Re: Bug Reports JUL2013a

Can we get like, healing multipliers for the shender_east elf part?

Seriously just spent about 15 minutes or so killing guardians with 2 other guys, first greater ice guardian that came out auto-aim locked the elf to death and spammed ice shards for over the sea, there wasn't much i could do and i think that's really stupid... These used to be this healing multiplier for npcs, where is it? Would be a wonderfull thing if my HC was healing 2x the npc at least, 19 heals per second isnt much when there are 10 guardians constantly hitting the player/npc.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Rejuv does a min of 10% of the target's HP, when targeting another (so 500hp+ for Fedrosh). Healing circle, not so much so...

But with the current bug, whenever you heal a character or player to maxhp, you can't heal them again. So, yeah, the Shender_East dream sequence is currently impossible. Normally, it's hard, but I've seen it done enough times, even with max difficulty multipliers. Fedrosh has 50% damage resistance + the standard Torkie wizard 25% elemental resistance, so stack an ice shield on, with the rejuv working, it's possible - but without, forget about it. (Not sure why people are even trying...)

Only thing you can do about Fedrosh getting sniped, normally, is to snipe the guardian first, and get its attention locked on you - though normally, you can have a player heal him considerably faster than she can damage him, provided said dedicated healer can stay out of combat, or switch off with someone else when he can't.

Uberzolik said:
Uhhh... The servers seem to be crashing, and then not coming back up. What's going on?
Looks like the hash for one of the maps changed and wasn't updated on the FN side (fixed)... I expect more hard locks, however, since the servers aren't resetting as often as they normally would.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Yeah i noticed the rejuv, thing is, HC doesn't scale nor does it multiply to one's health (not with the elf at least), previously it used to in the_wall for the dwarf, not sure if it has been removed or not or if it remains the same...

It's pretty hard to stay out of combat in that area, given that guardians are everywhere and can do ranged attacks, in order to stay away we need to go to the outer area of the arena, but when you get close to heal you get hit, so rejuv gets cancelled. Problem with the out of reach guardians is that it's usually one or two doing that thing, and then the rest is attacking the elf/players with close combat, if i end up focusing on an enemy that is far away, it's is more than likely the elf will have to tank the other minions since other people are usually dieing in 30 seconds or so.

I would still like to see HC's healing with multipliers on npcs, not outrageous healing like the dwarf had, but something decent. Since you said rejuv heals 10% of max hp, perhaps make HC's heal 2%? So in this case it would be 50hp per heal, implying rejuv would heal 500hp on the elf.

I mean i don't mind this stuff, it's just that, when i can't rely on others to do something... i really have to rely on my HC + ice shield more and hope for the best to come (which fails big time with no healing multipliers on HC).

And previous patches i could do this part easier than right now, it's not just about the broken healing, i did 3 runs or so with healing working, elf just gets overwhelmed when the greater guardians come, even with 3-4 players it's pretty difficult to keep him alive since the only way to heal him fast enough is rejuv, which again, gets cancelled on hit and there are alot of guardians in the location hitting everyone and their mother and a couple more doing a gangbang on the elf to make sure he doesn't heal fast enough.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

HC, unlike Rejuv, does not scale health and never has. Once he reaches max health, HC stops working as well.

Other than Rejuv/HC not working, nothing else has changed in that particular combat situation, so if you could do it before, but can't now - guess what? The encounter is more or less designed to require it, as well as inter-player reliance... Though it *can* bo solo'd with enough cleverly placed and maintained summons... But since Rejuv don't work, you can't maintain your summons either.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
JUL2013b Optional Server-Side Quick Patch:

- Fixed votemap system.
- Fixed healing issues.
- Fixied viewmodel animations with DOT Gauntlets (may require client be patched).
- Fixed potential exploit allowing thievery from another player's Galat chest.
- Votepvp requires >50% to pass. (Cuz)
(Some NPCs getting stuck in chat loops.)

Quick patch (Manual Install ~2MB):
http://www.rkszone.com/downloads/msc/ms ... 013b_3.rar

We'll get the remaining RKS servers updated, and update the betapacks to JUL2013b in a bit.

Uberzolik

Active Adventurer
Sons of Babel
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Damnit Thothie, you broke NPCs now! At least... some of them. I went on Edana and talked to Sembeldin, and he suddenly started repeating the same message over and over again. Weird.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
But... I didn't do anything to the NPC's... Grrr...

I was worried when we had that one commoner go mad during testing. :\

edit: I think Sembelbin maybe out of array space - it's not just the misplaced quote I talked about... Hrmm... What do...
edit2: Nope, it's every script with base_chat_array - despite the fact that I've not done anything to said base... >_>
edit3: Ah, fudge... Found it - chat function I added for Cyax's map causing problems... Someone shoulda caught this by now, but meh... I'm just gonna upload the quick patch again, and pretend this didn't happen, since I've not updated the betapack yet...

The quick patch manual installer suffixed with _3 now has this last fix. RKS should re-re-patch the servers soon.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
RKS servers are updated...

Not sure what I'm going to do about that, as I need to add a sound function to base_chat_array, but apparently MSC won't delete that many array elements reliably at once...

I added a debug function to try to figure what's going on with the Steam Pipe servers failing to reset and do the discon/recon sequence. Seems they are adding an extra " to clientcmd - which the listenserver and older HLDS does not do... Not sure how I'm gonna fix that either. There's a few other functions that depend on clientcmd, so I expect it is going to cause other problems as well. :\

Also managed to reproduce Zeus's Dusk problem with another puter... Hunk Alloc... Good news is that it only crashes the client, not the server - bad news is I've got no idea what's causing that either. Something's changed with the renderer. Might just have to axe the effect altogether eventually - tis a shame, as it's the nicest of the TOD transitions.

edit: Main Page has updated with the current JUL2013b patch as a full self installer. The quick patch is also linked there, in case you don't want to download the whole patch again. The quick patch is not a self installer, however, so you will need to be able to find your MSC folder.

Uberzolik

Active Adventurer
Sons of Babel
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I think this is actually a bit of an old one, but the transition from orc_for to bloodrose is broken.

EDIT: Glow seems to be sort of broken, I casted it and accidentally set it to 5% so I casted it again to cancel it, but next time I tried it would just display the extinguish message. It does this until you rejoin the server.

EDIT2: Did some more testing on the Glow problem, and it seems to happen every time you cancel the Glow effect.

EDIT3: Found a little typo on nightmare_edana. The galat skeleton thingimabob, when you first approach it, says: "Welecome, felshlings, to Galat's Weapon and Armor Storage, Edeadna branch..." He does say it correctly next time you talk to him, though.

EDIT4: Glow seems to be working fine now... Weird.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeeeah... The glow thing is one of those "random" things that's hard to fix... There is an array involved, and they aren't always reliable, plus there's, of course, client side effects involved, which, as your Bill Cosby dog demonstrated, are similarly, not entirely reliable.

But, at least I can reliably fix the teller typo... (Damn this green scarf)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
So... out of 26 knockback waves from the "guardians" in the nightmare section in shender_east. I resisted 3 with 50% stun resist, now you know what needs fixing! :evil:

50-50 chance of getting stunned or avoiding it, and 3 out of 26 attempts at getting stunned were avoided. The roll system or w/e behind all this is majorly broken to the core, it's pretty much annoying getting dot'd and stunned 95% the time in that area without using certain potions to prevent it. Even more when the stun resist/rolling system is not working properly.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Dunno if this is a bug but... I haven't patched to July2013 yet I can still play on FN and join servers running the July patch.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, the client.dll mismatch error doesn't happen anymore (seems they broke it), that is, unless you're running the old Half-Life and trying to connect to a Steam Pipe server, in which case it comes up falsely... Go fig... We have our own protections for that, but the patch was setup as semi-optional so they won't kick in (indeed, you can run on JAN2013). You'll run into problems, however, if you pick up items newer than your patch.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I managed to fix the server not resetting when empty. Old code side method for detecting when the last player left doesn't work on Steam Pipe, but managed to come up with a script version that does...

Also fixed the +use slowdown continuing after you exit a chest or NPC menu, even if the solution is hacky.

And I figured why the disconnect/reconnect sequence thing isn't working... "Retry" is now an illegal command to send through Steam Pipe, so it's dropping the line... As is "exec" - so my first idea for a work around - execing a .cfg with "retry" in it - is no go as well... Grr... What do...

(Pretty bloody stupid thing to make illegal, considering all the horrid stuff the server can still tell your client to do to itself just fine...)

Also did some stuff with glow to make the server side and client side tracking match up a bit better... And some tweaks to help stop arrays from acting funky, that seem to let me put in my chat_array enhancements without anything repetitious happening this time. Glow also uses arrays, so it may help there too.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I'm only listing this as a bug for the following reasons 1) It only happens in MS:C 2) I'd like a quick and prompted reply 3) Other people may or may not be experiencing this issue (?)

Anyways, just starting yesterday whenever I play MS:C I get random lag spikes through the roof, for no reason. It's even worse when someone decides they want to vocalize via mic. I've tested half life itself, and various mods with no lag... If it helps, I got a new modem the day before so (?) Any help is greatly appreciated :!:

z423.jpg

I apologize for the size of this image :c

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I've had that issue with my old modem 4 years ago or so before moving home too, it happens in most source games though, or used to. It went away when i used a new provider after moving home.

That is the reason why i f*cking hate mic users on source games, they usually spam music nobody gives a damn about or they are just far too lazy to type things out.

There are a few exceptions obviously, but this is one of the reasons why i freaking hated hemeriodius, the dude had the mic inside his mouth when playing ms:c and probably one up his @ss too for acting so butthurt all the time about everything, see where he ended up now. :wink:

As for lag spikes, there has been a few reports of those lately after the hotfix was uploaded or something, it happened to me once on phlames along with one other victim (also posted in forums), that was probably the first day playing the hotfix and 2 out of 6-7 players were having lag spikes at the sametime, mine stopped after a while and never came back.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
There are a few exceptions obviously, but this is one of the reasons why i freaking hated hemeriodius, the dude had the mic inside his mouth when playing ms:c and probably one up his @ss too for acting so butthurt all the time about everything, see where he ended up now. :wink:
I'll pass that message along :wink:

EDIT: The closer I get to enemies/groups of people the more I lag.... to 1k+ ping

Supercoke

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I was on shender_east with Pat and we failed the nightmare part(that shit is way too hard imo). we went through the rest of the map and killed everything else, but the boss portal in the crystal spider cave never showed up. Did we have to pass the nightmare part for it to work?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Supercoke said:
I was on shender_east with Pat and we failed the nightmare part(that **** is way too hard imo). we went through the rest of the map and killed everything else, but the boss portal in the crystal spider cave never showed up. Did we have to pass the nightmare part for it to work?

Usually breaks if u dont kill the orcs and frost giant and white bear first.

And yeah i already reported on the stupidity behind that part, no way in hell is that thing fun nor enjoyable to do.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Supercoke said:
I was on shender_east with Pat and we failed the nightmare part(that **** is way too hard imo). we went through the rest of the map and killed everything else, but the boss portal in the crystal spider cave never showed up. Did we have to pass the nightmare part for it to work?
You don't have to do the nightmare part, but you do have the kill the guardian frost giant up top (and if you can't take him, the final boss will eat you for breakfast anyways - though he doesn't require as much coordination as the nightmare does.).

We were having problems with it buggering up before, but I thought we fixed those. Did you kill the frost giant statue before going after the spiders?

Lucifer Majiskus said:
EDIT: The closer I get to enemies/groups of people the more I lag.... to 1k+ ping
Hopefully it's just the server. There's not been much in the way of changes, especially between the JUL2013a->JUL2013b hotfix (just two script fixes). It may, again, be the servers failing to reset on the Steam Pipe, but I think I have a fix for that now. Sadly, the related disconnect/reconnect fix involves doing something to the client (providing a new route through which to receive commands), so I can't just have RKS put up a server only patch for a quick fix.

PS. On the plus side, I just managed to fix double click functionality for worn items.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Supercoke said:
Lucifer Majiskus said:
Hopefully it's just the server. There's not been much in the way of changes, especially between the JUL2013a->JUL2013b hotfix (just two script fixes). It may, again, be the servers failing to reset on the Steam Pipe, but I think I have a fix for that now. Sadly, the related disconnect/reconnect fix involves doing something to the client (providing a new route through which to receive commands), so I can't just have RKS put up a server only patch for a quick fix.

PS. On the plus side, I just managed to fix double click functionality for worn items.
It's every server, I get random spikes of lag when in groups of enemies/ents. Sometimes I get an overflow crash, and sometimes MS:C just shuts and says "Could no deallocate memory" etc.... so it's not internet related afaik

Sadly; it could still be my new modem. Not sure how I'd fix somethin' like that though. Firewalls? :oops:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
By "every "server, do you mean every RKS server? Or have you tried some non-Steam Pipe servers?

If it was the modem, it'd likely be affecting your other half-life mods. Though check that there's no -port command in your MSC launch options not used by your others (or anything else odd, such as a -num_edict). It also wouldn't hurt to be sure the ports are open on the firewall, especially if your other mods are officially sanctioned ones.

Speaking of num_edict, double check that your msc/listlib.gam file has commandargs "-num_edicts 1500" at the end (open it up with notepad). If you had Steam opened when you patched, it may not have written.

If it really started in JAN2013b, and wasn't happening in A, then it could be corrupted inventory or a container embed problem. See if you have the same issues with another character (although worn items with embeds sometimes cause problems across multiple characters.)

Just about anything can cause deallocation errors, but they are probably pretty common during map changes right now, due to the whole disconnect/reconnect issue on Steam Pipe servers.

Some folks now have issues with some TOD effects (especially day->dusk), but that'll generally start with massive lag followed by an hunk alloc crash.

...and the usual... Make sure hl.exe has an above normal or high priority, possibly isn't using the first core, that the install is and update clean (no split installs), see if your neighbors have any unwanted babies, etc. etc.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Go play some other goldsource games and see if it happens aswell. If it does, it's your modem, sameway i had problems a few years back. My ping used to double or triple when someone used the mic, though i do recall this not happening in all games, but in the majority of them (even source games also have this issue i think).

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Tried absolutely everything you've suggested, and I already stated no other mods have this issue. The more mobs on screen the more I lag, to 1.8k ping. It does this on any server, RKS, FN, or not. Sometimes it says unhandled error when processing allocated memory, or something along those lines.... It seems like FPS lag, but my FPS is at a constant 100

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Assuming you did actually try another character, and you've got no bags in bags on any of them, only other thing I can think of is the net settings, or maybe the ethernet hardware settings...

Thothie re: Net Settings said:
- Check your Steam->Setting->Downloads+Cloud and see if the indexing changed your connection type. (Sometimes the region server indexing changes, and you have to reset it manually)
- Go to console (~) and...
- Check cl_updaterate is in a reasonable range (~100)
- Check that cl_cmdrate is in a reasonable range (~100)
- rate and cl_rate should be ~20k and ~5k, respectively
- ex_interp 0 (auto)
- fps_max 999
- cl_cmdbackup 6

Now MSC is, by far, more CPU intensive than any other HL1 mod, and if your ethernet is set to rely on your CPU for processing, this may have an impact on MSC while leaving less intense mods alone. The ethernet card may have automatically switched when it detected a new modem, or your modem install software (if any) may have fuxed with the old settings.

Windows Key + R, devmgmt.msc. Find your Ethernet (probably under Network Adapters), right click, click Properties, click Advanced (also check the power settings). Options will vary. Some ethernet cards may also have configuration software. If you're connected wirelessly, well, shame on you. :p (Keep track of any changes you make here, as you can fux yourself pretty hard.)

Only other thing I can think of, at the moment, is odd network protocals having the same effect. Control Panel -> Network Settings, find your local network connection, right click, Properties... You should see the Microsoft Client, QOS Packet Scheduler, File/Printer Sharing, and Internet Protocol (possibly v4 and v6). Anything else is suspect, but be careful here, as things here can be hard to get back after removal. (These instructions are kinda XP oriented, as I don't have 7/Vista to look at on this notebook, but it should get you in the ballpark. Those OS's may bring up another "user friendly" [read: useless] screen, and you may have to hit Advanced, or some such, just can't remember off hand.)

Also try tracert's to the RKS servers - if the reason you changed modems, was because you changed ISPs. Granted, you're kinda boned, if the problem is there. You can also try cycling your IP, as it probably changed when you switched modems. Sometimes this changes the route. (But again, if this problem is persisting on non-RKS servers, then likely not the issue.)

PS. Clearly we are both reaching and getting into risky territory at this point. Be sure that you've thoroughly examined all the other suggested solutions and diagnostics first.

Status
Not open for further replies.