Armored viewmodels/other issues

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
is it possible to have the handmodel be your current armor...

It would probably require creating new hand models and lots of other work... Can it be done though?

edit:
Even better, since your punching hands are actually an item (seeing as people could loot them before) would it be possible to replace those with your gauntlets? (may have been suggested before)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Something like this was the attempted fix that caused a sh*tton of char corruption ;-)

Hands wouldn't work, as I believe they get "deleted" when you pull a weapon out.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
All viewmodels (theres one for each weapon) would require the arms to be reskinned to have armor in them. The big problem however, is that there is no current way to change skins/submodels on a viewmodel with scripts.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Oh.. He was asking about SEEING armor? Thought he was talking about an armor fix XD

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah, like when you pull out ur weapon you still see a the gray or red sleeves or no sleeves

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
As for armored hands - yeah - we can't change skins/submodels on viewmodels at the moment, and while we could have a seperate model for each set of armor you might be wearing, there's a limit to the number of models we can have in the game, and that'd about double the number we have.

What would be ideal (IMO) - is if we had a set of arms with all the animations in them, and an attachment we could stick weapons in. (This way, modeler's would no longer have to make weapon view models, we'd just stick in the weapon). That'd require we find a way to change submodels on viewmodels though, which is amongst our critical coding tasks. If we could do that, armoring the viewmodel by armor would be much more feasible, just some reskinning work involved.

The Man In Black said:
Oh.. He was asking about SEEING armor? Thought he was talking about an armor fix XD
Meh, in regards to that, I think the current armor fix is going to have to go and we're going to have to find a new fix / go back to the old boat.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Switching your default hands with your gauntlets could make some problems. Say you have all the different types of gauntlets, which one does it take out? also, say you only have fire gauntlets and for some reason you want to punch a fire monster, you wouldn't be able to hit it and would have to somehow get back to regular fists. I like the concept though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh - what I'm saying is, we'd have one viewmodel with submodels containing all the weapons. Just the way we have p_weapons models for player models doing the same thing. Just a matter of telling the script to change the viewmodel to the proper submodel - if/when we get that function.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Rawr. Thought we were done with trying to fix that damn bug already >_<

Wasn't Shuri working on the submodel fix, or something along those lines?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the current third-person armor display fix (jeeze going back and forth on two entirely different issues here) is rather complicated. Basically, it makes the player model invisible and overlays it with a complex model that has all the player bits in several submodel groups (arms/head/legs. etc) and all the armors.

Problem is (in addition to making your client vanish in third person view), it seems the new armor model is so complex that in some situations it doesn't pass to other clients proper. Thus, we have Gladiator armor looking like Orochi's jacket to other players. Similarly before, we had Pheonix Armor looking like The Armor of Bravery (but only to other players). We had to split the model into two models to fix that, and it looks like we'll have to split it again to fix the Gladiator armor. This defeats our efforts at model consolidation - unlike the old system - where all the armors were in one model (in one submodel group).

I think we need to go back to the single submodel group system and find some other way to get the reference.mdl's submodel bits to transfer to other clients proper.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I thought that the armor glitch could be fixed with the PROPER ability to turn off submodels, and I thought that's what Shuri was working on, but meh.

If we can fix the second half of the armor glitch (making it display non-clippy), I think setting up the client to auto-reequip it on load would be pretty easy.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
To make the armor display "non-clippy" you need to make parts of the reference.mdl vanish (or, as under the current system, make the whole thing vanish). The original system did this by having submodels for each bit that should not render that one could toggle on and off (head, arms, legs, torso, etc.) But it seems getting clients to recognize one another's submodel settings is buggy for some reason.

It's odd that this only applies to player models and their armor, and not monsters with complex submodel groupings, nor player weapons

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
MiB of Rendundancy said:
I thought that the armor glitch could be fixed with the PROPER ability to turn off submodels, and I thought that's what Shuri was working on, but meh.

I know how it's supposed to work :roll:

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
is part of the problem that most of the armors were made to the 1.35 player model, and the new msc model es different?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No. All the armors were re-made from scratch for MSC.

If anything the problem is the system is too complicated. It'd be a lot simpler if the armor was simply bulky enough to cover the player model bits. (Although Gaz keeps saying that won't work, but since other things do, such as helmets, I don't really see why not.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Apparently they wanted tight fitting armor. :roll:

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
No. All the armors were re-made from scratch for MSC.

If anything the problem is the system is too complicated. It'd be a lot simpler if the armor was simply bulky enough to cover the player model bits. (Although Gaz keeps saying that won't work, but since other things do, such as helmets, I don't really see why not.)

you'd look like a mecha.

also all the anims would have to match up proper, and it'd still be rendering the player with the armor if this was the only thing fixing it...so... lag + mecha adventurers + wierd looking animations = failure.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lots of other games overlay their player models with armor without getting the mecha look - but then again, most of those have more skilled modelers at their disposal.

Armors have no anims of their own - only the skeleton has to match up.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So I feel like using a sword and shield... I look ridiculous.

I don't think I need to explain this.