Archery Reform.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Currently, the damages for archery are good, and should probably be kept as is. However...

A tree bow can fire jagged arrows....wtf? so..a brand new player can deal somewhere around 10 damage right off...thats just not right.

I forget who it was, but someone around here posted an idear about "long arrows" and "short arrows"...i'm thinkin thats the way to go.

Shortbows - These can fire "short arrows" which do less damage than normal arrows, but still come in all varieties (except for any magical arrows)

Longbows - These CANNOT fire the shorter arrows, only normal ones. However, these hit for the full damage of what bows hit for right now. Arrow varieties include all current arrows, EXCEPT FOR MAGICAL EFFECT ARROWS.

Magic Bow - This bow (or bow type, if you want to make several) has the magical ability to fire any arrow it wants to fire, short or long, magical or normal, it makes no difference. As an added bonus, Make at least two types of this bow - lesser and greater, lesser will fire any arrow just fine - but will have a regular base arrow (just like bows now), greater could have a magical arrow (and if there were multiple kinds, it could depend on what type it is, fire bow shoots flame magic arrows, ice shoots ice arrows, etc)

Good ideas?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Can't filter which arrow a type of bow can fire without making it fire only one specific type of arrow.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Fire a whole other category.

Basically the ammo mask works by partial name. Proj_Arrow_XXX or Proj_Bolt_XXX

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Meh

HumanSteak said:
I just had an idea to make the different bows more interesting. It would be both more realistic and appealing to get better bows if they wouldn't use the same type of arrows, for example:

Tree bow, only blunt arrows because it's a nub bow.

Short and orcish would use a short variation of current wooden and iron arrows but can't use enchanted arrows, jagged and elven (Maybe make them better than Iron and jagged and let it be exclusive to elven longbow)

Wooden longbow could use every long arrows including frost, greater holy, holy, jagged, envenomed and long iron. (Jaggeds would be the best non-enchanted arrows to use with wooden)

Elven longbow could use anything a wooden longbow can, but combined with elven arrows would be the most deadly because elves are supposed to make the finest arrows, as they make the finest bows.

This way, it would be more interesting to find elven and jagged arrows (wich are harder and pointless to even pick up because iron are better and so easy to get)

If you ever do this, make elven arrows expensive and very deadly! :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
so if there were a magic bow it could only fire the magic-type arrows?

My idear was to make the magic bow work a bit different, but I need to experiment to see if my idear is possible, and it goes in the category of "things I ain't got done cuz mappers keep asking for nutty scripts". ;) (Mind you, I think we need new maps more than we need new items.)

The idear was to make it not use ammo at all, but make it drain mana, and shoot bolts of light (ie. fancy sprites). The longer one held it, the more damage it would deal, and the bigger the sprite would be. Maybe a mana to damage ratio of 1.5 or 2.0, so it'd only be useful to experienced mages.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
That would be sweet :) maybe blunt infinite arrows could be stronger for different type of non-magic bows too if possible.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
OMFG x 2.

OMFG #1: That was MY idea thothie, I just didn't feel the need to make another thread D:

OMFG #2: Why doesn't my archery thread get attention. 2, 3 posts and BAM, forgotten. Is there just nothing you can argue against? :|