Any MBOX users? Need some help.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm trying to get used to my new MBOX setup. I might not have it for long (My brother just sort of left it here but he won't be back for a few months) and I have Power Tools LE with it. (although I'm waiting for the auth. code to be sent to me)

What I've been TRYING TO DO ALL DAY is this. I have it set up so my guitar is connected to input 1, in DI mode.

I also have a program installed called "Guitar Rig 3." This is basically an amp modeling program, so I can use bunches of different amps right on my PC. However, this is where the problem comes up. I set up the Audio to work in ASIO, and then I use my Asio Digidesign Driver (thats the driver my Mbox uses)

The setup works, but the most important part doesn't.

I can't hear anything.

I know everything is connected/set up properly, because when I strum on the guitar, the input & output signal goes up, and my Mbox "peak" light also turns on.

Now what I'm thinking I need is a pair of headphones, but I don't have any. I want to know if there's anyway that I can get Guitar Rig 3 to play through my speakers. I know a lot of you record and stuff like that, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me.

Here's a video I was watching to get this setup, maybe someone can get something from this I'm not seeing :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0toHUgpyMi0

Although he ISNT using an MBOX, which is really what I need. His guitar is plugged right into his computer. I can't find a SINGLE GUIDE to set up guitar rig 3 with an MBOX.

Thanks for any help.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If you are getting levels through ProTools from GR3, then just read the last two lines. Otherwise, read on:

Firstly, does ProTools detect that Guitar Rig 3 is on your computer?
Check the AudioSuite, see if it's a plugin, probably under instruments.
If it is, you can create a new audio track, open GR3 under that, have it send to an open bus, then receive from the same bus.
If that dun work, then iono. I use Eleven myself, and given that it's a Digidesign prog, it doesn't give ProTools any guff, but then again, I haven't really used it that much to begin with.

If you are trying to get the sound to play out of your computer speakers, it will not. Your MBox is your soundcard when you are working with ProTools, therefore you need some monitors, or some headphones.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sabre said:
If you are trying to get the sound to play out of your computer speakers, it will not. Your MBox is your soundcard when you are working with ProTools, therefore you need some monitors, or some headphones.

Well, you answered my question. Thanks. Guess I'm going to have to get some headphones tomorrow. :|

And I can't try what you said before that, because I don't have the authorization code for Pro Tools yet. :wink:

In the mean time I wanna see if I can get this to work with my laptop. It should play through my speakers if I can plug it straight into my sound card right?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't believe so, ProTools requires you have hardware connected, and it forces you to use that hardware for sound output, which is why laptops such as MacBook Pros are good for recording; they have the power, but they don't handle the sound.

If you want a cheap pair of headphones, just grab some $20 Sony ones(Very basic, and they come with a stereo jack converter), but if you want to grab something pricey you could go Sennheiser(Don't get open back ones, though, they give you no isolation). I personally use Technics DH1200s, but that's because I got a good deal on them(They have excellent isolation and response, though).

What is your budget with regards to 'phones?

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sabre said:
I don't believe so, ProTools requires you have hardware connected, and it forces you to use that hardware for sound output, which is why laptops such as MacBook Pros are good for recording; they have the power, but they don't handle the sound.

If you want a cheap pair of headphones, just grab some $20 Sony ones(Very basic, and they come with a stereo jack converter), but if you want to grab something pricey you could go Sennheiser(Don't get open back ones, though, they give you no isolation). I personally use Technics DH1200s, but that's because I got a good deal on them(They have excellent isolation and response, though).

What is your budget with regards to 'phones?

Prob, 20-30 bucks. I don't really need anything professional. I know my brother has a really nice pair of headphones that he takes with him.

But I did get Guitar Rig 3 to play through my speakers, I had to use an audio cable and plugged my guitar straight into my audio card. I had to install ASIO4ALL and then it finally played through my speakers, with no lag.

If I forgot to mention, Guitar Rig 3 is a standalone program that works with LE. I didn't need my Mbox for it.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yeah, grab them Sony's then, I used to use those before I got my Technics.