Another tool has popped up.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This thing is... Actually pretty good. Needs some polish still, but it works so much like ye old Hammer, while adding new features, and fixing several problems - much potential here.

[Although I'm a little afraid, as the author seems to be a /b/roney.]

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jelly said:
Shh... So is Gaben and his ten commandments.

4pmRt9d.jpg

I-i-it all makes sense now...

...All of it.

61f.gif

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think someone needs to use one of these new editors for the next media contest--it might be interesting.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jeeze... I wonder who here has the mapping skills to do something like that? ;)

TheOysterHippopotami said:
There is also this: http://sledge-editor.com/

I haven't tried either of these yet, though.
Finally got to look at it... This one's also pretty good, and actually a bit further along than Jackhammer - but it also seems somewhat less stable, and has some nonsensical features (the logic tree, for instance, seems like a good idea, but in addition to locking the editor without warning or a progress bar, doesn't let you do anything with it in the end.) It does offer Torus and Sphere primitives - but I dunno if they play nice with the Goldsrc mapping format, as like the Source variant, they are single complex brushes. Not tried compiling the resulting brush yet.

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
A little bump, but I was looking for a new map editing program because for some unknown reason my env_sprites were not showing up in the 3D view.

Therefore I gave Jackhammer a quick go and it's great. Along with fixing my env_sprite issue, it also provides you with useful features such as hiding the blue on {transparent textures, as well as rendering the skybox texture.

Thanks for posting this.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Caluminium said:
A little bump, but I was looking for a new map editing program because for some unknown reason my env_sprites were not showing up in the 3D view.
This is, sadly, a common problem in big maps. If there's too much stuff visible in the 3D window, Hammer won't render sprites anymore. Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's done intentionally (for performance reasons). I'm not sure.

Edit: Kind of a big bump by the way, Caluminium :p But hey, if it gives more insight on Sledge and/or Jackhammer, why not? I've yet to try Jackhammer myself but I found Sledge very impressive.

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
Caluminium said:
This is, sadly, a common problem in big maps. If there's too much stuff visible in the 3D window, Hammer won't render sprites anymore. Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's done intentionally (for performance reasons). I'm not sure.

Edit: Kind of a big bump by the way, Caluminium :p But hey, if it gives more insight on Sledge and/or Jackhammer, why not? I've yet to try Jackhammer myself but I found Sledge very impressive.
I've just tried Sledge, it still retains the { blue transparency, but it doesn't render a model's shape in the 2D view or display what sub model they're currently using. Right now I'm creating a forest and using the thorny_roots.mdl which incorporates a bunch of submodels. The submodel you choose actually shows up on Jackhammer.

However one minor problem I've noticed in Jackhammer is that you recieve a lot of "unmatched 'target' field" errors when you check for map problems. You're required to create target, targetname & killtarget keyvalues on point-based entities, such as ms_monsterspawn and ms_counter, because they don't initially show up on them. Although Jackhammer does have this nifty feature which displays the connections between entities, as well as an auto connector.

Perhaps you should try Jackhammer to see which one you prefer?

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Jackhammer is just insane. Holy shit. I can't believe I didn't try this sooner O_O

My only gripe is that FGD files don't appear to "read" each other. Specifically, each other's BaseClasses (like they do in Hammer)...
Code:
Entering: "D:/Hammer/fgd/ms1.4.fgd"
Warning: undefined base class `Targetname'
Warning: class already defined: `msmonster_giantboar'
Warning: undefined base class `Target'
Warning: undefined base class `Target'
Warning: undefined base class `Trigger'
Warning: undefined base class `Trigger'
...is what the Messages box gives me when I start an MS:C map. But this can be easily fixed, of course.

I might actually get around to finishing msc_vow sometime with this magical tool.