BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I just soloed b_castle and got:
One health potion (forgot what kind)
One mana potion
A spellbook
25 gold (could've been 50, not sure)

I know that more players means chests give more rewards, better rewards, and sometimes very rare rewards, but this is a total shit award. I don't have any other words for it.

I kill assloads of animated armors and bludgeons only to get that? Wow.

Edit: The reward in skycastle is way better. Of course some dick might say "yeh lol but u hav2kompl337 4 maps 2get da lewt thar" so I'll just have to counter that as well:
I can rush through lowlands in 14 secs without having to kill a single monster.
I can rush through highlands_msc in 1 min 26 secs without having to kill a single monster.
I have to beat a shocking total of six (troll, four animated armors, gold forged skeleton) to get past lostcastle_msc. This takes about 3 min 4 secs.
And skycastle is way easier than b_castle. Yet I do get fifteen greater holy arrows and alot more other goodies. Three mana potions if I remember correctly, and definitely more gold.

Conclusion: the reward in b_castle when you solo sucks ass. This is a fact.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Unless yer lucky.

...and if yer running through the CotBG series that fast, I suppose I should nerf the treasure there too.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Smooth move, J-M >_<

Is there anyway you could make Transitions not work until you complete a certain amount of tasks? (Triggerable transitions to turn them on + trigger_counter?)

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Oh, was this not mentioned, like, 100 times that b_castle was released early/late, which means the chests don't actually contain everything that they're meant?

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Unless yer lucky.

...and if yer running through the CotBG series that fast, I suppose I should nerf the treasure there too.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that it took me 22 mins 58 secs to beat skycastle. I got the black bear god, for the record.

Anyway, villager, I didn't see any posts about the b_castle chest not being complete. Point me in the right direction?

And still, the truth is: it doesn't even take me half an hour to beat the entire CotBG series (except for orcplace2_beta) and this gives me quite some nice rewards. It takes me about an hour (I think) to beat b_castle and the reward is so terrible it makes me feel sick.

The Man In Black said:
Smooth move, J-M >_<
Shut the hell up. You are the number one nerf-this-make-that-harder person on these boards, so you should thank me for posting how easy it is to run through CotBG.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Should be fixed. But I am afraid it wont be too different from what you get in skycaslte. (Meaning, if you solo it, it will still be minor things)

• Banned

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
Should be fixed. But I am afraid it wont be too different from what you get in skycaslte. (Meaning, if you solo it, it will still be minor things)
If the reward is comparable to what I can get in skycastle when I solo, I'm more than happy.

I'm not asking for a 100% Urdulian shield and/or dark sword spawn, just some useful things such as GHAs as can be found in skycastle.

Edit: Also, P, your map broke today on replica's server. The wall after the gate refused to break and I checked the whole map for enchanted armors but they were all gone.

And yet another reply to MIB:
The Man In Black said:
Smooth move, J-M >_<
Why are you even complaining? If the treasure in skycastle gets nerfed, I can't imagine how that would affect you. If I'm correct, you already have [rare item A] and [rare item B] that spawn there.

Oh and Thothie: No need to nerf the skycastle reward, at least not until you remove the ramping from the rest of the series.
Seriously, why in fuck's name did you ramp the CotBG?

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i think it's cool how difficulty is determined by the total hp of the players...

The number of players afffecting the spawn of loot is good because it allows more cooperation than competition.

But if a map is done solo, I think loot should at least be decent.
Maybe it can also be determined by the health of the player.

i.e. J-M with his 800 hp clears skycastle. To a character of his strength, rarer items should appear. If my level 11 assasin SOMEHOW beat skycastle, it was obviously done using exploits or amx_godmode so I should recieve nothing.

what i'm getting at is...
If you spent countless hours getting that strong, you should be able to get the good loot.

I'm not familiar with the latest ridiculously hard map, but if your hp is high enough to make that map of little challenge, you should be able to get it's loot.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I already asked thothie to do something like that, but what I said was like...

If its 400hp to count as a person, then someone with 800hp should count as 2 people. He shot that down because he thinks that theres already enough of a drive to level up and get hp, or something to that extent.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't get why some things in my map tend to "break." Technically, they should work.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No need to nerf the skycastle reward, at least not until you remove the ramping from the rest of the series.
CotBG and WW are pretty much why the monster ramping system was invented to begin with. Too many complaints of players tearing through those maps too fast.

…and if you can complete the series in under 5 minutes, then yes, there is need for a severe treasure nerf. Chest is designed for two hours+.

If its 400hp to count as a person, then someone with 800hp should count as 2 people. He shot that down because he thinks that theres already enough of a drive to level up and get hp, or something to that extent.
It works that way for monster ramping, but not for treasure. Last thing we need is to give high level characters more treasure that they can already acquire more rapidly than anyone else and further encourage their solo’ing maps.

I don't get why some things in my map tend to "break." Technically, they should work.
Welcome to MS:C. *sigh* I’ve not a chance to look at anyone’s map sources. I think the most likely place for there to be a breakdown is just before the boss room, last I looked at it.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
But it doesnt break down at the bludeons (I think). It breaks down at the wall break, well, both wall breaks I guess.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It breaks when the Bludgeons are supposed to spawn. At least, that's what's happened everytime it's broken for me.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm guessing it is the room that has two cages that open up and releases a bunch of animated armors, that are supposed to be followed by a few bludgeons - followed by wall that breaks with a teleporter leading to the boss chamber - tis the bludgeons that fail to spawn.

If that's the case it's likely the way the monster chain was made. I saw that error in the older source, but I've not had the chance to look at / not sure that I even have, the current source.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
What ^he said. It's what a I said.. except not as lazily written. Go figure >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just clarifying so that we're all on the same page. ;)

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well we all have to be on the same page to read your post.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
No need to nerf the skycastle reward, at least not until you remove the ramping from the rest of the series.
CotBG and WW are pretty much why the monster ramping system was invented to begin with. Too many complaints of players tearing through those maps too fast.

…and if you can complete the series in under 5 minutes, then yes, there is need for a severe treasure nerf. Chest is designed for two hours+.
I don't really see how you can say that. People have been rushing through lowlands, highlands_msc and lostcastle_msc ever since the whole gauntlet protection system was implemented. Nobody wants to waste time in maps that don't offer any useful rewards (lowlands and lostcastle_msc in particular) and that's why people just go turbo mode through the first three maps.

Also, I can't beat the entire series in under five minutes; skycastle takes me 0:22:58 solo. Add to that the time to rush through lowlands (0:00:14), the time to jump through highlands_msc (0:01:26) and the time to kill your way through lostcastle_msc (0:03:04), and you get a total of 0:28:42 to reach the chests at the end of skycastle.

Yes, this is solo, and yes, multiplayer takes longer because of the monster ramping, but not two hours, not by a long shot.

I'm quite sure that if I got the six highest level RiP members in one server, they'd storm through skycastle in about ten minutes.
And do you know how they (would probably) beat the map that fast? It's because they're way above the level requirement of that map.
Maybe you based the two-hours-of-gameplay-time thing on a bunch of level fifteen players, I don't know. Anyway, you can't just nerf the chest because a bunch of high levels can do the map faster than other people.

If you're nerfing chests based on the minimum time it takes for, say, the sixth highest level players in the game to run through maps, you might as well nerf the entire game right now.

Bottom line: the CotBG has never been designed for two hours of work, unless a group of low levels plays it, so I can't possibly imagine what even makes you think it was designed to take so long to run through.

Edit: And I want to shoo... know who complain about people rushing too fast through CotBG and WWpt.1 :|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That is entirely not the point.

It’s not about the pain to gain ratio, it’s about game longevity. If you can get through the entire map series, with a group of players of around the intended level in a matter of minutes (as you often do in both series), once the group is done everyone looks at one another and says, “Now what?” – and half the group drops.

If you get the CotBG in 10 minutes, and WW3 in 10 minutes (I’ve seen both done, and I’ve seen the latter done with no one over level 29 - repeatedly), you get to game over, nothing left to do, empty the server, right quick.

It is of course worse when people beyond the intended level of the map are on and tear through the map for the benefit of a few nubs who leech of their treasure leftovers. All of that severely reduces game up time. Thus, monsters scale proportionately for stronger players.

What I hope to have eventually, but haven’t worked on yet as it will involve much ripenting, is to have not just scaled up monsters, but different monsters. So a group of high levels can walk into a low level dungeon and have it last more than a few seconds for them. Plus it has the nice dazzle advancement effect, “Wow! Never saw one of those here before!”

As for chest nerfing, you said you didn’t even have to face monsters on half the maps, plus you're alone, so yer level is irrelevant.

(Also not the point, but, the maps, are designed for groups of level 20-30, but level 20-30 are a lot stronger than they once were)