Abandoned [WIP] Archives - These Maps Need Mappers!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
(fixes)

Be sure to check the links at the end of that post - lots of map fragments by Joe! and others that you may find useful.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Might want to remove Tundra from the list since it has already been released. Actually, just rename it. We could use that map for something else.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Stoned said:
Might want to remove Tundra from the list since it has already been released. Actually, just rename it. We could use that map for something else.
+1

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's done! It's done! FFS...

I shoulda stuck another transition into Tundra, now that I think of it... The only other one is for Dmines, which is an actual pending map, so... Meh.

But if someone wants to expand on Tundra, maybe I can make the rope at the Morc camp climbable or something. (Rather than just a loose explanation as to how the Morcs wound up camped there.)

I still have this killer whale model I didn't get to use... :\ Party because there wasn't enough room for it when I attached the ocean entrance to the map - and partially because it'd get stuck in the icebergs.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I shoulda stuck another transition into Tundra, now that I think of it... The only other one is for Dmines, which is an actual pending map, so... Meh.
Seeing as how I am currently working on Dmines for my project, I would greatly appreciate it if you did not release this map behind my back and completely destroy my plans. I do not want dmines to connect to tundra. I already have something planned for this map and if you release the map without even discussing it with me it will be an insult and completely wreck what I have been working on for the past couple of months.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Seeing as how I am currently working on Dmines for my project, I would greatly appreciate it if you did not release this map behind my back and completely destroy my plans. I do not want dmines to connect to tundra. I already have something planned for this map and if you release the map without even discussing it with me it will be an insult and completely wreck what I have been working on for the past couple of months.
Well, for starters, it's Dridje's map, until I get something new from you, (and he has been expressing some concern in regards to that...) but it would be nice if new maps had multiple transitions and also tied into the darn world. Not saying you *have* to do it - it'd just be nice if you did. :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gah...

Okay, okay... It's still kinda beta, but try this:

[removed link as this is no longer a valid solution and some foo may fubar himself.]
^ Self-executing Half-Life rollbacker

BEFORE YOU RUN THAT:
• Rename your Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life folder (eg. Half-life_fubar)
• Verify Half-Life Integrity
- (Right click on Half-Life in Steam Library, Local Files tab, Verify Integrity - let it download)
• Run the Half-Life training room to ensure all files download

Then, close Steam (important!), and run the patch. After the patch is done, copy any mod folders from the Half-Life_fubar folder to the new Half-Life folder (but do *not* copy any of the files in the Half-Life_fubar root - just folders, and just mods [not platform/, valve/, or gldrv/]).

If that works for your hard case, I suppose it's time to add it to the half-life fix thread, maybe sticky, maybe add to file section...

Mind you, even with Half-Life updates disabled, you may need to run the patch again periodically. This, most likely, will just require you to close Steam and run the patch - no need to rename, verify integrity, or copy mods again.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Fixed the links for all the maps in the top thread, as someone just alerted me to the fact that they were down. (Also, marked "Run" as up for grabs again, it's nearly complete.)

I've a 6GB package from Crow I need to tear through - a lot of it is duplicate files and extraneous data that's gonna take me time to assemble into something sensible.

Please do not just go off and claim these all for yourself as part of some grand project. You can use more than one piece, but make and finish one map at a time, plzktnx. I dun wanna repeat of the tragedy that happened to all the maps in the last media contest. ><

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I will be taking over Verath for the time being. I may be able to linked it to one of my maps, but I may need to do a bit of brush work with it to make the proper transition. I hope it will turn out nice. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So I finally did what I've been saying I've been going to do for nearly a year now, and parsed the 6GB beast of an archive Crow gave us, containing his map sources and materials for Oculus WIP, down to about 250MB. The file is linked and described at the bottom of the top post.

If you find a map is missing models or sounds, gripe about it here. I neglected to include those, but I'm not sure which maps are using what, off hand.

...and I guess I'll copy-pasta to save you the trouble of linking back:
======================

OCULUS by Crow

Oculus is a large series of map fragments, plus two nearly complete (if unpopulated) maps, originally intended to be assembled into a series by Crow. He donated these to us just before he was simultaneously killed by wild boars and kidnapped by aliens.

Download:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/crow_wip_pack.rar (~250MB)

Most of the wads you might need are in the wads folder, or subfolders. It wouldn't hurt to also have allinone_fixed.wad, but be careful not to load too many large texture packs at once, or you'll have to go into regedit to get Hammer to load again. If you are uncertain as to which wads to use, check the .map files or .bsps (available for all but the_village, which Crow was fiddling with a bit, apparently.)

I'm not going to track who is caretaker for this, as there's more than enough stuff in here to share, and, worst case scenario, we end up with a few maps with entirely different populations made up of similar segments. Still, you may want to announce which bits you are using and what you are doing with them in this thread.

You do not need to attempt to complete the epic "Oculus" series - you may use these maps and fragments any way you wish.

Some explanation of the files in the rar linked above:
• The art folder contains some logos and such Crow had intended to use for the series.
• The fragments folder includes several of the smaller fragments to be assembled.
- Among these, Oculus-World4 has some interesting potential to be our first truly vertical map, if you wanted to build around it, using it as the core. The complex angles may make it tricky though. (Lore wise, would work as one end of The Wall.)
- ( Also, just for the record, we had The Wall well before George R. R. Martin did, damnit! Almost makes me wonder if he plays this game and stole the idea... :p )
• The oculus6_fail folder contains a large, but conceptually flawed cave map (bad Chinese finger trap design), including a version in which I tried to salvage it for Crow, but to little avail.
- If you do manage to fix it, you'll need to either create rather extensive func_monsterclip stair casing, or populate entirely with ranged monsters and jumpers, as there's so many steep ramps that melee based mobs will otherwise simply slide down them with even light lag.
• The oculus7 folder contains a few variants of two maps that are meant to be glued together. Mind you, the sky brushes do not properly block VIS without some fandangling, so working out how to do this might be complicated.
• In the root, oculus1 is a town map, intended to either be the finale or a hub for the series, and testmap10 is the most complete large world map, made largely of bits from the fragments folder.

Wizard Wars (open source)

Also, a reminder, among a few other games and mods, I am also the official caretaker of Wizard Wars, which has long since gone open source, so you can officially do with the materials as you wish. Some of the map sources are available yonder (scroll down), and maybe viable for use with MSC (the source for the perpetually back-burnered "shrinkspell" among them):
http://www.thothie.com/ww/

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bumping to add Chimz Water Temple to the collection:

- WATER TEMPLE - (60% complete) by Chimz
chimz_watertemple_overview.png
chimz_watertemp.png
Chimz's mapping efforts have been kindly added to the WIP archive.

Possibly good as a connector for or to be cannabalized into the Sunken City of Adel lore concept map. Would be nice to see what it'd look like lit - I've a feeling it'd be lovely, even if the overall design is simple. There's a lot of sweet rooms and structures in this map ripe for copy-pasta. If we were to update the prefab factory, there's a lot of good canidates here.

Formats: RMF, JMF
Have Wads: All Included in archive or MSC
Solids: 90% (Complete, save sealing.)
Lighting:: 40% (Quite a lot of lights, but not sealed.)
Texturing: Complete
Entities: 30% Some (no monsters)
Needs Expansion: Not so much as it needs assembly.
Issues: Epic sized rooms and hallways, a good deal of the map seems to be in pieces made to be pulled or copied together.
Additional Materials: This beast also comes in Jackhammer flavor, and even has some images of the concept materials for the artwork, as well as some PDFs to explain the design goals.
Download: http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/Chimz's_Water_Temple.rar (~162MB - not in the wip mass archive)

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Can we have this pinned?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Fine... Far too many pins in this section though. ;)

ultima

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Bumping this thread because due to a lot of IRL stuff I haven't really been able to work on either of my maps for quite some time now unfortunately. I've included two in the zip file: "Frost and Flame" and my other Ghost Town map as well. There's entity work that's been done on both and they have the basic layouts, they really just need all the entity work to be put in place and filled with monsters and maybe some more detail to be ready to go. If anyone wants to pick them up and work on them feel free to, I wish that I could have finished them myself but it would be a shame not to at least hand off the projects to someone who can finish them. If there's any questions or something is confusing about the map work just let me know and I will do my best to clarify.

Attachments

• old_maps.rar
    16.5 MB · Views: 9

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Awww... Ya may have noticed we mentioned ya in a dev thread, and were thinking of putting your puzzle map up, even though it's not quite finished, with a little "under construction" sign and apology chest at the end. It's certainly different from most any of our other MSC standard fare, and brings to mind those old Svencoop/PVK "tricks, puzzles, and traps" maps.

ultima

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Awww... Ya may have noticed we mentioned ya in a dev thread, and were thinking of putting your puzzle map up, even though it's not quite finished, with a little "under construction" sign and apology chest at the end. It's certainly different from most any of our other MSC standard fare, and brings to mind those old Svencoop/PVK "tricks, puzzles, and traps" maps.

Yeah haha I noticed and I'm sorry for my abduction by aliens, but you know how things go. ;) Dungeon Crawl probably is going to get a lot of hate or dislike for the "lame" traps that WILL kill players the first time around, but the design choice was that after you know they are there you will always be able to avoid them, and it's funny to see new players fall victim to them. Maybe I'm just a sadist. :p

I don't know if I mentioned this or not but Allinone.wad is pretty much all you need I believe for these maps texture wise, and I have a feeling if one of the more talented mappers was to undertake these project(s) they could easily get them released relatively quick I'm sure. /optimism

I know MS:C is probably thirsty for some new content so I figured releasing these would help bring something refreshing to the game.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd like to adopt the water temple. It, however, will not keep its current aesthetic. I want to turn it into a blood/flesh temple

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Roger that. Think the link's bjorked though - should be back now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
the link to the old monster script list seems to be broken too.
Don't have an archive of that. This one, though messier, is much closer to complete though. (And up to date to OCT2019, as opposed to 2006.)

Dunno if I could rig something up to hunt for "monsters/" entries in the changelog, where there's usually a description and notes of any odd usage or addparams.

edit: Oh, you mean the one in my signature... Damn this host, why did that go? (Fixed.)

Chimz

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'd like to adopt the water temple. It, however, will not keep its current aesthetic. I want to turn it into a blood/flesh temple
If you're planning on just turning all water red (for blood) and changing a few textures to flesh, that's not gonna work.

This map's base was built to look beautiful to the eye, symmetrical, architectural. If you want to turn such a thing into a temple of flesh and blood, you gotta change 80% of the map's design.

You have to twist and turn everything that makes this map look beautiful and turn it into something that horrifies the human eye. So unless you're gonna do that. you'll just be turning the map into something that it's not. And when the designs and textures don't match, the map won't turn out good.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you're planning on just turning all water red (for blood) and changing a few textures to flesh, that's not gonna work.

This map's base was built to look beautiful to the eye, symmetrical, architectural. If you want to turn such a thing into a temple of flesh and blood, you gotta change 80% of the map's design.

You have to twist and turn everything that makes this map look beautiful and turn it into something that horrifies the human eye. So unless you're gonna do that. you'll just be turning the map into something that it's not. And when the designs and textures don't match, the map won't turn out good.
I intend on changing brushwork too. It looks like a good base for what I want, but it seems you want this to be strictly the water temple you envisioned. I'll leave it up to you though, @Chimz , can I turn this into a blood/flesh themed map? If not, I have no problem trying to make another map work.