Xash3d, New Sven Coop Engine.

Rocket117

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Xash3d is already created and seems to be a very promising game engine, would it be worth porting MSC over to Xash? Granted, the amount of man power to do that and all of the bug fixes would cause the port to take quiet a while, but from a practical stand point, it seems it solves a lot of issues the game has.

If, and ever if, the sven coop team ever finish with their version of the half-life engine, maybe it wouldn't be dumb to possibly give that engine a try as well. Both engines can very well solve a hell of a lot of issues with the games, and may inspire new coders, modelers, etc... to re-master these familiar engines. Xash3d, personally, has a much stronger appeal as of right now, since it is the only complete one, it's two main issues being the porting of the mod, as well as getting people to download it in order to play the game. That's my two cents on this.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
I dunno bout Xash, because I remember Thothie saying something about how that couldn't really work, because of the lack of steamid's or something, but using Sven Coop as like a base game would probably work. I wonder if it will recognize it as a mod if you installed it into Sven Coops folder once it comes out on Steam. If this worked, MS:C potentially could be free, since everyone can install Sven Coop once its ready to be released on steam.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been over this enough times that I'm tempted to make a sticky.

Xash/Sing dun wanna work with MSC. They are based on an old leaked WON build, and, while the Steam ID thing is potential problem, there seems to be more fundamental problems preventing it from functioning before we get that far. I suspect, if we had a better coder, we might be able to work some of them out, but as far as my own efforts go, I can't manage to make it spawn, even in client side character mode, which bypasses any Steam ID issues. It doesn't like something about our GUI and/or the renderer (and yeah, I tried disabling bloom and reflections - first efforts actually predated bloom, IIRC).

Svencoop's engine, I'm not familiar with. I did try to plug our game into Cry of Fear, which has its own port of the Steam Goldsrc engine, but it choked on that too, and I never did figure out why. Unlike Xash/Sing, I don't have the source for the CoF engine though - I was just copying files over and altering configurations.