[WiP] Dessert themed temple

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I remade the Spawn Room so maybe now it will look a little prettier!

Spawn: (remade)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sttb1nug1h44 ... _00003.jpg

The original room had nothing more that a hallway with grates with water in them.. Now it really seems more like a mystical temple feel to it!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Puuurty... Maybe I'll actually get to see the final version of this map, before someone scurries away with it. ;)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
That looks good!

Thothie said:
Puuurty... Maybe I'll actually get to see the final version of this map, before someone scurries away with it. ;)

MS:C said:
Where's my patch? I can't live without my patch Thothie.

:twisted:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Got the majority of the lighting done in the (boss room), it should be nothing more than some cave dweller monster that's kind of big, and I still gotta work on the tunnel to the surface, which will be nothing more than providing sunlight and water from up above. I love my crystal lights. :)

Final Room (Boss Room):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sln4q2skjv8zc ... _00001.jpg

I hope its not too dark... the sunlight cant quite reach down there far enough so I had to make some industrial sized glow lamps.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thanks to Thothie for giving me a example teleporter, I now have a way of leaving the boss room, since you do fall into it. I even added an extra section to the map. If I do continue to elaborate on this part of the map, it will most likely be undead or some other supernatural beings inhabiting the area. Since the Boss guy is gonna be like the last normal living creature you'll come across.

Example of the Forgotten Temple: (Basically like the stuff up above but is lit by crystals instead of the sky and torches)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r35jgsdr55g3n ... _00001.jpg

Yea, I did reuse a room. But, I don't really know if that is a big deal, since I do love that room.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I now have plans and are in progress of making a part 2 to the temple map, temporarly named Crystals_N_Darkness, its a sequel to Caves_N_Daylight, which is also a temp. name. I was just gonna have a little section similar to the top are where daylight is replaced by 'industrial strength' crystal lights and would have desert guardians protecting the place from intruders. Buuut, I was at 63/64 of my Alloc. blocks, whatever that means, so I had to trim it back and transfer it to a new map. Now I get to build more of the same old boring tunnels that are so bland because I don't like building tiny, intricate columns, artwork, etc. So now instead of fighting orcs you'll deal with ghosts/undead. Maybe through in some wildlife. I could make up a story to go along with this map, but I am sure no one would really care as long as they get lots of monsters to kill and xp and loot to get. Which really won't be stuffed to the brim with.

Thothie, what all do you still need me to add to the first map before you will take over and finish?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd have to see it to know for sure.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Regorty said:
I could make up a story to go along with this map, but I am sure no one would really care as long as they get lots of monsters to kill and xp and loot to get.
Shockingly accurate summary of me :sad:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'd have to see it to know for sure.
Ok Mr. Thothie, I will link you the BSP, that way you will have to play through the map! I might share the... uhh crap with file was it that has all the 'sauce' that you say you need to examine the map?

Nearly Finished Map: (Never finished the brushwork for the rock. wanna change some more textures to spice it up some more, add more lights, etc.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2sz427mqd02y ... ylight.bsp

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya didn't embed the textures, so I can't view this from here unless I also had the source to re-compile it. I can try to run it when I get home, and although it'll give me a missing wad error, at least I know where the wads I need are.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Ya didn't embed the textures, so I can't view this from here unless I also had the source to re-compile it. I can try to run it when I get home, and although it'll give me a missing wad error, at least I know where the wads I need are.
Aww crap, I knew I was forgetting something again! I don't even remember how to do it either. It's been too long for my silly little mind to even begin to remember it. Well, just give me a link or step by step instructions here and I will try to add the WAD that is missing, and I know which one is needed, its that umm... jm one I think.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Neither wad is standard. Add -nowadtextures -wadautodetect to the hlcsg line.

Or send the the RMF, and I'll compile it myself.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Neither wad is standard. Add -nowadtextures -wadautodetect to the hlcsg line.

Or send the the RMF, and I'll compile it myself.
Let me just finish the cliff textures first, even though I have been dragging my feet on the cliffs.. But, I really just do it and be done with it, cause now I am wanting to redo part of the cliffs on the outside where you run into the hole to get into the temple. I wanna have it go outwards instead of towards the temple.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
And I *know* Crow wasn't. ;)

Hey now :D

Edit:

I should probably add something to the thread eh? The map looks good! Some of the big areas feel a little empty, but from a quick glance through the thread I understand that you're a beginner so this stuff is definitely impressive ^_^

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hey Crow!

tc_oculus1_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

"I think the power's out."

/subtlehint - Why don't you send us what sources you have for that map series that never saw the light of virtual day? Maybe we can integrate them into some of these upcoming maps...

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Ha, I was thinking about it actually. My buddy helped kick start that Oculus headgear business and he got one way early, though I yet to try it out.

Although... If I can get my Hammer set up again without too much fuss, I may finish what I started. It's been... years? I miss it :D

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Although... If I can get my Hammer set up again without too much fuss, I may finish what I started. It's been... years? I miss it
IT HAS BEEN YEARS SINCE YOU LAST WORKED ON OCULUS!?!?!?! :evil:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This from the guy who is sitting on how many nearly complete maps? Glass houses man. :p

Though it is true, I once wrote in the now fubared Oculus thread, "Remind me to post in this thread next year, so I can chide Crow for spending two years on the same map." ...Wrote that well over a year ago, so... Happy third anniversary to Oculus [WIP]? :oops:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
This from the guy who is sitting on how many nearly complete maps? Glass houses man. :p

Though it is true, I once wrote in the now fubared Oculus thread, "Remind me to post in this thread next year, so I can chide Crow for spending two years on the same map." ...Wrote that well over a year ago, so... Happy third anniversary to Oculus [WIP]? :oops:
That must be on hell of an awesome map for it to take 3 years to make... I guess I really am bad at making maps since this map only took me 3 months, roughly, to make.

Also yay for Thothie for making all that extra stuff, such as monsters and loot..

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
This from the guy who is sitting on how many nearly complete maps? Glass houses man.
Last I checked you were far from enthusiastic about helping me populate them.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
This from the guy who is sitting on how many nearly complete maps? Glass houses man.
Last I checked you were far from enthusiastic about helping me populate them.
I'll populate them, just need a current source. I'm populating maps I have current sources for first, so I know they'll actually see the light of day.

* Eventually * I'll just give up on seeing anything, and use the sources from the contest, but not until well after I run out of other maps.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Time to pull a big patch out of the hat and revive this mod once again, go go go! :wink:

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Regorty said:
That must be on hell of an awesome map for it to take 3 years to make... I guess I really am bad at making maps since this map only took me 3 months, roughly, to make.

Also yay for Thothie for making all that extra stuff, such as monsters and loot..

Well it's more like roughly 3 years ago I lost the motivation to finish it :p

In actual man-hours it's probably more like 2-3 months or something. Granted, I tend to bite off more then I can chew in terms of how big and complicated I want a map / map series to be, and it gets overwhelming at times. My own fault :p

I'm going to try and cut it down a bit.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Crow said:
Regorty said:

Well it's more like roughly 3 years ago I lost the motivation to finish it :p

In actual man-hours it's probably more like 2-3 months or something. Granted, I tend to bite off more then I can chew in terms of how big and complicated I want a map / map series to be, and it gets overwhelming at times. My own fault :p

I'm going to try and cut it down a bit.
I just make my maps big, not so much complex. As you can see with this map, a lot of it is rather simple but spacious, perhaps too spacious, I think I may rework some of the doors to being larger and maybe add carpet and plants.. But its a desert and IDK if Orcs like to garden to have nice things.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If they like sun bathing i guess they could have a garden aswell. :roll: