When will scientists learn...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Firstly, the article in question....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=325&objectid=10400645

Now, some things from that link for those of you who are too lazy to go to it yourself...

Code:
Deep underground on the Franco-Swiss border, someone will throw a switch next year to start one of the most ambitious experiments in history, probing the secrets of the universe and possibly finding new dimensions.

Throw the switch gordon...

Code:
"These beams will have the kinetic energy of an aircraft carrier slammed into the size of a zero on a 20p piece," Brian Cox of Manchester University told the annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science.

Code:
"There is also something called dark energy, and that is an even bigger question.

"It makes up about 70 per cent of the energy in the universe, but again we have absolutely no idea what it is.

Anyways, seems like they're turning something on when they've got no idea what its actually going to do. Oh - and also...

Code:
Dr Cox dismissed worries that by adventuring into the unknown and creating tiny black holes, the machine could even destroy the planet.

"The probability is at the level of 10 to the minus 40," he said.

I'd like to see how they calculated that.

Comments, concerns, questions on where to buy a spaceship to get the hell away from it? post em'

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
all I have to say is...

SWEET! :D

I want some dark energy!

And tiny black holes!

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
You want a tiny black hole? Heheheheheh.........

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I have known about this for a while, infact america is upset, and so they are building an even bigger one for more experiments.

However this machine is more than just for making mini black holes, they are also testing to see if gravity is a partical rather than a force, gravity is considered one of the weakest forms of power known right now, however it doesn't make sense do to the fact that its gravity it should be really powerful. They are hoping that if gravity is a particle this means that the force of gravity originates from someplace, and that can help decipher the fact there are more than one dimension. In the end the world of science can potentially be flipped upside down, should prove interesting.

I love popular science!

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
At first I read Baby Bang. I thought they were gonna throw babies into that orange ring. Then I started reading it and it reminded me of Stargate.

That's cool I guess...no wait...I don't care.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I heard that black holes always have a white hole on the other side, just like the exit of a portal or something. The white hole is there to contain the black hole and so, if they can create a black hole and can't create a white whole to contain it, It will end up swallowing the whole universe and they will create another BIG bang instead of a baby bang lol.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Nobody even knows what a black hole is, yet. Scientists speculate it's an infinitely small, infinitely dense and infinitely hot object. A so-called singularity.

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i read somewhere that people worried about these black holes gobbling up the earth is complete BS. it said that a black hole of that size would take like thousands of years to eat up one proton...

Fadda

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
How about we get some "dark energy" in MSC and we get to make some black holes to suck in each and every enemy? Would be great fun, really.
[/offtopic]

Why whould people possibly want to research in black holes? Haven't we got enough WOMD already?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
but...but...this can be our first WMD for interplanetary warfare ;)

steps: mount on large spacecraft, aim in general direction of planet in question, fire.

Fadda

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
... for what purpose?

The planet will be gone, aight, thats cool...

But erm.. what else would you use this shit for lol? Agreed its a nice way to get rid of stupid chicks and your house if you want to build a new one, but come on..

A black on hole the earth? Lmao might as well just create mini-nukes in capsules or something. New way of executing.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Of course the logical question is: how does one mount a black hole on a spaceship?

you dont mount the actual black hole, you mount the device that propels very very small objects (probably neutrons) at extreme speeds towards the target, when it hits *anything* it creates a 'mini big-bang', with its own black holes - which would rip apart the surrounding matter and evaporate in a bit...since there is very little actual matter in space for it to collide with, it'd eat up the atmosphere of the planet first...there would probably be a pretty light show on the ground...untill everyone died from a lack of oxygen (or whatever they're breathing)...if that doesn't kill them, the weapon continues to fire and eventually completely annhialates the planet.

may require modification...but not much past being able to aim it and making sure you dont blow yourself up with it...

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I find it interesting how something not meant to be used in any way as a weapon got twisted into one on this forum. The first practical use and all anyone can think is a black hole gun?

I just find this halarious!

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Fadda said:
How about we get some "dark energy" in MSC and we get to make some black holes to suck in each and every enemy? Would be great fun, really.
[/offtopic]

Why whould people possibly want to research in black holes? Haven't we got enough WOMD already?

the weapon you are taling about would be impossible in hl1, however in the source edition its possible...in episode1 there is a blackhole grenade

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Take yonder texture:

kata.jpg

Or some similar, swirly singularity on crack texture. Maybe grab yourself a star texture or two while yer at it.

Layer first mentioned texture via x3 non-solid rotators of varying speeds, making the center much faster than the others, and spinning in opposite direction. Set all to rendermode additive with renderamt's 80-200

then either:

a) Build funnel of trigger_push brushes with trigger hurt and env_gib shooter at center.

b) or B, build MSC script that just sucks in everything it sees by adding velocity relative to its position and 100 to the right (to get the spin effect), and convert to gibs on impact.

Instant HL1 black hole. ;)

For bonus fx, you can add env_shooters up top that shoot glow sprites as stars, and have a seperate, slower funnel of push brushes that draws them inslowly, and you can add periodic env_funnel's for that occasional quazar bursting things black holes like to do in these movies... ;)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
they had a cube grenade type weapon , on one of the turrok games that was bad as hell... and would be an awsome spell if you could do something like that on msc basically couldnt u make like a magnetic area that pulls in entities "monsters/players" and kills them at the origin point, then delete's the entitie after it dies?