What keyboard layout does MSC use?

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok... I have a German keyboard. When I want to type a question mark in any GoldSrc-game, I have to type the underscore. Reason: GoldSrc-games go with the US layout. Ok, I am used to that.
MSC, however, uses the apostroph key to print a question mark.
Here come the questions:
-What keyboard layout is that?
-Will MSC use the US layout?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It uses the same layout all the HL1 games do. US standard 101 key. I don't think we can actually change that a whole lot, as it's internal to the engine (maybe affected by Windows settings though).

fig1.gif

Question mark is, well, question mark on my keyboard. (The shifty bit of the foward slash).

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
As said, MSC doesn't use the same layout other HL mods use. Or at least, it treats foreign keyboars differently.

PS: it is possible to change the layout. NS (Natural Selection) prints all the keys like they are on my German keyboard.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Damn, if MSC is changing the keyboard layout, I've no idea how or where.

As for changeing the layout, you'd probably have to play with the Windows language/keyboard settings.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It would be rather confusing to write long texts (I often do) or mathematical formulas blindly, without seeing the special charakters on the keyboard...

You probably note include that keyboard layout thing as a low priority bug.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Isn't Natural Selection openly friendly with several languages though?

And on that note... perhaps MSC should be updated for such a purpose too... start making it more foreigner friendly... what'd you think Thothie?

You could get someone, more specifically ReBoot here, to translate for us... then there will be a higher player base :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Again, no idea how. NS may have done something special to get international keycodes to work.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I thought you simply selected your language, one they support, upon installing the mod... like a buncha others do... don't know for sure since it's been awhile since I lasted installed any of their setups :p

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This is normally only the setup language.

I don't request a full international keyobard support, I'd only like to have the question mark where it is in all oher mods, too.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Why not totally fix it though... making it more user-friendly to more nations around the world :(

There may be others out there not content with the question mark merely being similar to other mods ReBoot... they may want their German Keyboards to have the question mark, along with all else, in the exact perfect spot... Dooms Day is Upon Us :twisted: (no idea where that came from)

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
All I want is MS having the same behaviour as other GoldSrc-mods. That doesn't mean a real support for international keyboards, that means having the question mark where other GoldSrc-mods have it. At the key where an English keyboard has it.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ReBoot said:
It would be rather confusing to write long texts (I often do) or mathematical formulas blindly, without seeing the special charakters on the keyboard...

You probably note include that keyboard layout thing as a low priority bug.

wait...why do you need to write "Long texts" and "Mathematical formulas" in master sword...? and why would you need special characters for said long texts?

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I can't type the question sign ("?") with the current key layout. It's kinda annoying :| I have m bound to "say ?" and each time I ask a question I have to press m afterwards.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
pretty sure you CAN say it, but it messes up the chat bar thigie (same as %)

...that needs to be fixed, but as far as i understand, thats not what this is about...

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I tried almost every key and combinations of shift+<key> there is. I can't think of any I didn't try. Still no luck ><.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Works fine on mine, but I gotta standard US keyboard.

I know if I type % though, and keep typing, I get a mess of numbers on my client, but it comes up fine in chat. This is due to the way the message system in MSC works (% is reserved as a prefix).

Again, MSC should be dependant on the underlying engine and OS for it's keyboard layout. If yer keyboard is working right in all other mods, I've no clue. I dun see anything re-defining the keyboard layout off hand.

I do know AMX has trouble capturing MSC keys, which is why we have an odd voting system. This could be related, but I've not managed to figure out what that's about.