What happened?

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Serpent Gauntlets! Why you no level affliction?!

I know they used to a few patches back. I remember using them randomly on a new character that didn't have poison scroll yet - not with the intent to level poison in the slightest, just as a Martial Arts aid - and looking at the DoT, "Wow, what happened, DoT is balls now! They get nerfed?? :( " then I see Affliction level up, and my eyes popped out of my skull and I thought, "Now THAT's what an Aikido Master is all about."

Twas all excited to find serpent gauntlets after weeks of looking, as a more efficient way to level affliction, only to find they no longer do. My face is sad.

*hope* Could this be a bug?!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmmm... Looking at the archives, it looks like an XP stat for the DOT was added around JAN2008, which was around about the time we figured out how to make DOT give XP (previously no DOT effect gave XP). So, most likely, it was previously not giving any XP at all.

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wow, has it been that long already?

I went searching through the previous patch notes, and I believe serpent gauntlets had leveled affliction sometime after the JAN 2010 patch. If THAT was the bug and subsequently fixed, then my face is still a bit sad. Ah well, I'll go pew-pew with a snake staff instead.

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
lvb2555 said:
Wow, has it been that long already?

I went searching through the previous patch notes, and I believe serpent gauntlets had leveled affliction sometime after the JAN 2010 patch. If THAT was the bug and subsequently fixed, then my face is still a bit sad. Ah well, I'll go pew-pew with a snake staff instead.

<omg sploitz!>

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Oh i didnt know im not allowed to post that :(

Ok then another tipp: Take a runeshild as second hand for slowing down and then spam snakes to let the snakes gangrape the slowed enemy. Also the runeshild prevents you from getting raped rather quickly.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Shield + Weapon? OMGSPLOILERS

Btw rune shield doesn't proc often enough for that to actually work the way you say it will. But it'll still work slightly until you run out of snake charges, I suppose. It's easier to use the affliction spells after a certain point, though. Especially if you train your other sc subskills up enough to be able to use the higher level affliction spells.

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I almost want to say it'll be more effecient to bang on some orcs or leech from groups with poison scroll. Won't have any other alternative till I can solo that overly hard boss there. You know who I'm talkin aboot.

But thanks for the advice either way 8)

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Hmmm yeah, since i got an envenomed plate i dont bother about lvling affliction anymore because it goes up like, automatic.
8)

But in the uberNewb times i was running around with the dild- errr snakestaff like hell to lvl SC with affliction.